10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

barcelonista

Okay, I know they have good players at the back and some in midfield.

but why don't they perform well for the NT. I've seen Banega as the weakest link in CA 2011, so was Cambiasso when he played before.

for Collocini, he's old and never was a class defender but for this and the last season. I've seen him with Depor as their problem in defence. and it's not easy to judge the rest based on how the NT been playing since a long time now. Argentina have good players as individuals, but as a team! shame it's not so good.

They didn't perform under Maradona for obvious reasons. Because, well, it was Maradona.

They didn't perform under Batista because Batista was even worse than Maradona, trying to copy the Barcelona style without having the players for that style. So every single player underperformed. Including Messi.

Coloccini made it into the PFA Team Of The Year alongside Kompany and pretty much everyone on any Premier League forum I've read agrees with that. We have a reliable Newcastle fan on this forum who could give us further information (I haven't followed Coloccini either tbh). No, not HBA, I mean Sewelly. Colo isn't that old either. 30. At the World Cup he'll be 32. Perfect age for a centre back. Better than Demichelis, Milito, Brana, Cata Diaz and all the other weird nominations in recent history. Worth a try I guess.

Reasonus

Pit those suggested formations against Germany and you notice the difference in quality. Some good players have been mentioned here, but the truth is that hardly any of them can pose serious danger if Messi is double-/triple-marked except Kun, that's why he should be a starter in every game. Higuain is only good when he has space as in a counterattacking team, you won't see other teams leaving that much space for him to exploit. Di Maria is a skilled player with piss poor decision-making. Masch is quality and the rest are meh. Banega was impressive for a while in Valencia before his injuries. Pastore was overrated by Zamparini and he's been inconsistent in PSG. The defense is their weakest point and their midfield is hardly creative.

While Germany and Spain have Nuer/Iker/VV/Reina, Argentina still lacks a world class keeper.

With Messi in the team besides some talented players, they can still get somewhere if they get a half-decent coach. Maradonna was better than his successors, in my opinion.

Finally, Messi has been performing very well for Argentina for quite a while. He also did very well in the WC as a playmaker. In last season's Argentina friendlies, he was magnificent and performed better than in a Barca shirt. Go back and watch those games and see how much more effort he puts in his Argentina performances.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
Finally, Messi has been performing very well for Argentina for quite a while. He also did very well in the WC as a playmaker. In last season's Argentina friendlies, he was magnificent and performed better than in a Barca shirt. Go back and watch those games and see how much more effort he puts in his Argentina performances.
Yep he was great but not as good as how he plays for us but he played really well and tried hard too but nobody realize it,people think that the only way to be successful for the NT is by winning the WC and yet the when English players are in form for club and not performing for NT they still don't doubt them.

B

barcelonista

Pit those suggested formations against Germany and you notice the difference in quality.

Sorry, but I really don't think freaking Podolski is any better than Di Maria in his decision making. Or that Klose / Gomez are better strikers than Agüero / Higuain. Neither is Özil better than Messi in any aspect of the game. And Müller is the German equivalent to Pedro. A typical off-the-ball player with clever movement who thrives when others create space for him. Barely someone who makes things happen on his own. Khedira is the definition of a water carrier. Mascherano and Cambiasso were world class when Khedira was still playing in the youth ranks. Argentina don't have less quality on 5 outfield positions. Quite the converse. The big difference is the Schweinsteiger position. Argentina lack an organiser like him in central midfield. The closest Argentina have is Banega. And while he's no Xavi, he's a top player. Albeit being inconsistent. But the difference of Valencia in the Copa del Rey against Barcelona with him and a week later in the league without him became pretty obvious. I mean Fabregas looked like Xavi and had his best game of the season in central midfield when Valencia was without Banega, can you imagine?!

But let's forget about Spain and Germany for a second and assume they are far above. Then Argentina should still be the third best team in the world. Unless you believe De Jong and van Bommel in central midfield with Dirk Kuyt upfront is WC final-worthy. According to the FIFA rankings they are 10th though. Madness. They couldn't beat Columbia and Bolivia in the Copa America. At home ... Biggest underachievers I've ever seen.

Chainsaw

Killahead
then why the NT has been sucking for the past 2 decades??

[size=+1]Argentina Struggle To Give The National Team An Identity - Roberto Ayala[/size]

9ccf3851-f28d-405f-a7c8-7a6807a3b618.jpg

Argentina's national side impressed in the early stages of the 2010 World Cup and were by many seen as one of the big favourites to win the tournament. However, the Albiceleste were hammered 4-0 by Germany in the quarter-final.

Former Milan defender and Argentinian international Roberto Ayala has made it clear that it's not easy for Argentina to perform, as the South Americans struggle to give the national team an identity.

"Some people say that Spain should be the model for Argentina, but they play the way they do because they have a team in their league who play in the same way: Barcelona. And because there are a lot of Barcelona players in the national team, that means that they can," said Ayala to fifa.com.

"Here it's harder. We've got world-class players who play all over the world and we don't quite manage to give the national team an identity. We need to go into games with the confidence that we can beat any team we come up against."

Ayala also took the time to discuss Argentina's star player, Lionel Messi.

"He is exactly how you see him from the outside. When we were part of the same squad in the Copa America 2007, he was still growing up, albeit at a frightening rate. He's quiet, keeps himself to himself, respectful.

"I suppose that as the years go by he's gaining in confidence. The thing is, it's difficult because that's his nature. Everybody wants him to be someone different, but that's how he is and you have to respect that."

-----------------------------------

In addition to what Ayala said, there are also some various reasons such as the corrupted AFA which keep coming up with the false decisions as the reasons why the Argentina NT has been a failure in the last 2 decades, but let's just simplify it by saying that the Argentina NT suffers the most from lacking the "Team Chemistry" that is needed to succeed at the big stages. Ever since Maradona retired as the player the NT has lost that team spirit that they had when Diego was around. Ever since that, the most you can see in the NT is a bunch of individuals playing for themselves and not as a team.

"Argentina are not a team, they are a group of individuals. They must no longer insist on winning with the names on the backs of their shirts, but as a team." Ricardo La Volpe

The coaches incompetency, players fuck-ups and bad luck also had their share on this, but the main problem still remains the same: Team spirit and chemistry. As long as Argentina cannot bring that back to the team the failures will keep on coming.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
The bottom line is this - If Messi manages to win a World Cup with Argentina, the feat will be all the more impressive.

MagIX

As central back for Argentina, let me suggest David Angel Abraham (16.7.1986), FC Basel (since 2008), very good CB.
He began his career with Independiente in 2005, becoming a first-team regular during his first season.
In 2005 he won the world cup U20 (with Messi and Aguero).
This sommer he will leave FC Basel, there are many teams interested in him (probalby he will play in Germany).
Imo he is a very good CB and he really deserves to be taken into consideration.

301930-248706c023957db08d14f39749879207.jpg

731322_w2.jpg

great goal..

messi1987

SO his last game in la Liga this season- a divine season by Messi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thinnk it is really really dissapointing, that no one gave him a nice gift today!! What a shame!

I don't know what to say about Messi- there are actually no words!! So, Gracies.

Leo, you are the best for ever,
there will be no one who will be as you because you are not only a football player,
you are also no World's best football player!!!
YOU ARE MESSI!

Pepe Silvia

72 goals not enough for some here. The comments I read on chat were seriously crazy. Messi doesn't give a fxxx and Sell Messi for Neymar etc etc.

Pretty sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans