1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

raedkuwait

yeah, beast mode with the greatest team around, that controlled every match they were in.

lay off the drugs son.

Hhhhh barca controlled every match you must be to young
To have watched barca back then

https://youtu.be/OdqV6vSqOAw

Yup barca really controlled every thing. but mats
In this game 100% we concede at least 4 goals
Barca defence was never ever good and we had lots
Of chances against us. Arsenal had more chances
Than liverpool against us yet they scored 4 goals hhhh

Last edited:

serghei

Donnaruma, the best player at the Euros that Stegen didn't even play :lol:...

Pisses me off PSG got him. We could be looking at the next Buffon.

serghei

Unpopular opinion: Bravo > Valdes and MaTs ? :thinking:

Too short of a spell. Overall, not the biggest fan of Valdes, but looking at his body of work, all this time, easily the best keeper we've had since I followed Barca, which is almost 20 years.

But Bravo had presence and leadership, no wonder he was captain of Chile, a NT where strong men weren't in short supply. And I felt that in that La Liga season.

Total-Football

I'm baffled as to how overrated Valdes is here.. I'm seriously thinking most people who do so probably started following barca since 2009.. VALDES is a mediocre keeper.. And compared to him Steven is Neuer. Valdes has 2 or 3 good performances in years... And he is literally living off of that final in 2006. He was bad at keeping... Really really mediocre. Just youtube Juninho s free kick vs barcelona.. That is a defining moment of Valdes.. Any half challenging chance and expect it to be a goal. Cannot even comprehend how would someone rate Valdes in all seriousness.. Besides maybe sentimentality and the fact that he was media protected (catalan) and the fact that he was the first sweeper keeper.

Edit: I say this as someone who even remembers his debut and as someone who watched perhaps 98% of his barca games.

fergus90

I'm baffled as to how overrated Valdes is here.. I'm seriously thinking most people who do so probably started following barca since 2009.. VALDES is a mediocre keeper.. And compared to him Steven is Neuer. Valdes has 2 or 3 good performances in years... And he is literally living off of that final in 2006. He was bad at keeping... Really really mediocre. Just youtube Juninho s free kick vs barcelona.. That is a defining moment of Valdes.. Any half challenging chance and expect it to be a goal. Cannot even comprehend how would someone rate Valdes in all seriousness.. Besides maybe sentimentality and the fact that he was media protected (catalan) and the fact that he was the first sweeper keeper.

Edit: I say this as someone who even remembers his debut and as someone who watched perhaps 98% of his barca games.

I think he did sharpen up a lot under Pep to be fair, but you’re right in that Valdes wasn’t shy of mistakes. Made a couple in El Classico’s for a start but I guess Valdes gets recognition because his better performances often arrived in the biggest games.

I’ve been following Barca since 98 and GK is the only position ive thought there was much better goalkeepers out there than what Barca had. Every other position at some point I’ve thought we’ve got the worlds best, never had that with the GK position.

malvolio

People have short memories or didn't watch him much. There is also the urge, on this forum, for some 'fans' to jump on bandwagons or witch hunts because it's in line with the whole social media fake news current that we live in.

It's also easier to call any half decent guy a great player when we had the greatest team of all time 10 years ago. When shit hits the fan anybody is worse.

Last edited:

jamrock

Total football talking maaaaad dog poop, valves wasn't a world beater, but when the chips were on the table, he almost always stund up and be counted, he never faded away when we needed him most, which is why most people who watch barca rate him and would take him over Mats In a heart beat, no one said he was buffon..
But whenever he needed to make a big save in a big moment he was their. facts

raedkuwait

Total football talking maaaaad dog poop, valves wasn't a world beater, but when the chips were on the table, he almost always stund up and be counted, he never faded away when we needed him most, which is why most people who watch barca rate him and would take him over Mats In a heart beat, no one said he was buffon..
But whenever he needed to make a big save in a big moment he was their. facts
This and nothing but this. Just look at Mats face
When the pressure is on. And all other teams can
See his face and the fear in his eyes and they
Feed on it. In a game like the one vs Rome or liverpool
Or a pressure game who would you rather have valdes
Or Frozen Stegen hhhh!?

Last edited:

Bobo32

I think he was very underrated for long, especially by the same sort of people who don't understand the use of Stegens style now, but want Donnarumma instead...
Valdes was never a top 10. goalie in the world obviously, he was glad to be in Spains squad once in a while etc, but for Barcelona, Valdes was a pretty good option, especially after some years and then when the whole team functioned so well under Pep.
But it's very strange to see Stegens doubters lift Valdes as such a good keeper now. It seems to have a lot with facial expressions to do...

JohnN

I might have said that again but I remember being extremely frustrated by valdes' fuck ups. You always expected a stupid mistake from him. But he did turn up for big games many times. Mats hasn't done that for ages.

Home of Barca Fans