1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Porque

Valdes is nostalgia. But his peak level was incredibly high (the time he became Spain no1 before his top level ending injury.

I don't buy this Donnarumma not able to be a Barcelona goalkeeper because his footwork isn't at the elite level. Neither was Bravo, and he gave us possibly the best LaLiga performing season in recent memory.

KingLeo10

Too short of a spell. Overall, not the biggest fan of Valdes, but looking at his body of work, all this time, easily the best keeper we've had since I followed Barca, which is almost 20 years.

But Bravo had presence and leadership, no wonder he was captain of Chile, a NT where strong men weren't in short supply. And I felt that in that La Liga season.

Channeling your inner BBZ I see.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

No one is saying VV was Neuer or Buffon or even Casillas.

But he was undoubtedly better than MATS in big games.

Yeah man had a lot of fuck ups but in most of the big matches that dude was clean. But have to say nowadays his mistakes would hurt us a lot more as we arent able to score 4-5 anymore when we concede two.

serghei

Total football talking maaaaad dog poop, valves wasn't a world beater, but when the chips were on the table, he almost always stund up and be counted, he never faded away when we needed him most, which is why most people who watch barca rate him and would take him over Mats In a heart beat, no one said he was buffon..
But whenever he needed to make a big save in a big moment he was their. facts

That's what I remember him as well. Made mistakes and blunders far more often than a world-class keeper should, but he was also a leader that did show up in quite a few high-profile close games, when the team needed him. Very close games that defined the era under both Rijkaard and Pep, like Milan tie (we conceded 0 goals in 180 mins), Arsenal CL final, Chelsea on Bridge (conceded 1 in 180 from a thunderbolt of a strike by Essien).

A major difference from the likes of Stegen who lets in 3 or 4 goals against any worthy CL opponent. Sometimes even more.

Valdes was very bad in the 2012 CL campaign, where his performance vs Chelsea in that fucked up tie was very Stegen-esque. Took in 3 goals from 4 shots in 2 games.

Last edited:

Joan

People have short memories or didn't watch him much. There is also the urge, on this forum, for some 'fans' to jump on bandwagons or witch hunts because it's in line with the whole social media fake news current that we live in.

It's also easier to call any half decent guy a great player when we had the greatest team of all time 10 years ago. When shit hits the fan anybody is worse.

Are you actually happy with ter Steven? Because it baffles me. Agree people here tend to overreact (just about everything, in fact) and they do so when claim he's our top priority. But his level cannot be enough for Barca, he is a liability. Probably mental, as I see him as a good keeper.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's good GK, but lack of development last few years coupled with his injury concerns should put the club in the market for a new #1 next summer. Even if ter Stegen stays past 2022 he need some proper competition and shouldn't be the bonafide #1 GK. Time for him to win the position again.

malvolio

Are you actually happy with ter Steven? Because it baffles me. Agree people here tend to overreact (just about everything, in fact) and they do so when claim he's our top priority. But his level cannot be enough for Barca, he is a liability. Probably mental, as I see him as a good keeper.

I ain't losing any sleep over our GK, that's for sure. Very low as a priority in my view.

He could be better and I think he might recover his form once we have a working defense with a leader CB in it.

What gets me is the worshipping of Valdes when the guy was a mediocre keeper.

Joan

Stegen is a better keeper in everyday life, that's for sure. But Valdes had some memorable big matches, while Stegen usually disappears in such moments. What you do when it matters is what people remember. Not that I agree.

raedkuwait

I ain't losing any sleep over our GK, that's for sure. Very low as a priority in my view.

He could be better and I think he might recover his form once we have a working defense with a leader CB in it.

No one worship Valdes man, As many here said Valdes
Had his fair share of blunders and mistakes, and
As many here sais he was not a top class keeper
But he had a beast mode in him in important games
And can handle pressure not like Stegen, all we
Are saying is Valdes was way way better than Stegen
In important game, i am 100% sure if we had valdes
Or Bravo For rome or liverpool game we would be through.

Last edited:

jamrock

I'd literally bit my life that if we had Valdez we would have gone through at least 1 if not both of those games.

Barcilliant

Valdes is nostalgia. But his peak level was incredibly high (the time he became Spain no1 before his top level ending injury.

I don't buy this Donnarumma not able to be a Barcelona goalkeeper because his footwork isn't at the elite level. Neither was Bravo, and he gave us possibly the best LaLiga performing season in recent memory.

Exactly. A goal keeper has to do his primary job which is makes saves and command his defense and area. I don't know why the keeper at Barca has to be a brilliant passer. That's a bonus but his primary job is shot stopper and Mats fucking SUCKS at that.
Valdes made some stupid errors and could be annoying at times but he was HUGE IN THE BIG GAMES. HUGE.
Three games that come to mind are CL finals against Arsenal and Utd. Sf against Chelsea 2009.

Barcilliant

Ter Stegen doesn't have the personality for Barca Donarumma does but it's water under the bridge now. We will have to put up with her s lame shit for another season.

malvolio

valdes was just more of a nutcase, that made himself look more involved. are we sure that he performed better in important games? do we have stats? or we just like to assume that he would have fared better in those two games that appear to have scared some of you forever - rome and liverpool?

by the way, bravo didn't even play CL for us. then he went to city and made a fool of himself. like valdes left and was a nobody at man utd.

where was beast mode valdes in 2013 vs Bayern? he let in 7 goals in that tie. is that beast mode worthy or more like ter stegen worthy? where was beast mode valdes the year before, in 2012 vs Chelsea? why didn't he kept us in that game? getting lobbed like an amateur by fucking ramires. and valdes had the best team around him, with the best manager and prime messi.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans