European Super League

El Guaje

UEFA and FIFA are corrupt but this is NOT the solution. This is a ploy by billionaire club owners to squeeze more money into their pockets and alienate working class local fans even more. They are also actively harming smaller clubs and lessening their chances of growth immensely with this. This is the peak of corruption, even worse than UEFA and FIFA.

The concept is good imo, a tournament where elite clubs face each other regularly is clearly more interesting and fun to watch than a tournament where you have to wait till the quarters. Its the same story every season. Same clubs end up being top 2 in their groups apart from a few minor surprises every now and then, and then maaaybe we get to see an interesting matchup if the draw allows it.

Concept is good, but yeah i agree its not fair that founder clubs are guaranteed a spot no matter what. There has to be a better solution. Could be anything like having the founder clubs + another 12 clubs joining by qualification instead of only 5, maybe from season 2 and onwards only top 10 clubs in the super league keep their spot, other clubs have to qualify to stay... i dont know, but still i think the idea is good + UEFA doesnt to get to have a monopoly anymore.

Vilarrubi

He actually just showed a poll that he himself conducted to 5 nations asking if they support a super league.
72% of italians support it, 71% of french support it, 76% of spaniards support it, 59% of english support it, and 57% of germans support it.

lmao..

:lol: they had the photoshop guy prepare that one

EzX1HEiVcAYN4UT

Porque

Exactly. 15 clubs with guaranteed 350m per year... 5 others win the lottery.

Then... Nothing. And the gap will get bigger year after year. No more Leicesters...

No more Steaua Bucharest's, Ajax's, PSVs, Malmo's, Brugge's, Red Star Belgrade's, Dynamo Kiev's either.

We already lost alot of historic clubs the because the money moved to the big 3/4 leagues. We are now losing alot of top clubs in Spain, Italy because the money is in England.

Last edited:

Jadentheman

On Saturday... As soon as Perez waved with money... He apparently turned around and dropped his pants.

Florentino Perez to El Chiringuito: "Barcelona are going through a difficult economic situation, Laporta immediately understood and accepted like all the great clubs in the world. This #SuperLeague will save the entire world of football".

What's actually stopping Laporta from pulling out? Not like a check as cashed in already right?

JamDav1982

So you admit the problem is there and you're okay with it anyway? Absolutely ridiculous. The aim in football should be to lessen the gap between teams, not make it bigger. This makes it a lot bigger and the rich get richer.

I dont mind it other than being too closed off.

FinBarcelonafan

The concept is good imo, a tournament where elite clubs face each other regularly is clearly more interesting and fun to watch than a tournament where you have to wait till the quarters. Its the same story every season. Same clubs end up being top 2 in their groups apart from a few minor surprises every now and then, and then maaaybe we get to see an interesting matchup if the draw allows it.

Concept is good, but yeah i agree its not fair that founder clubs are guaranteed a spot no matter what. There has to be a better solution. Could be anything like having the founder clubs + another 12 clubs joining by qualification instead of only 5, maybe from season 2 and onwards only top 10 clubs in the super league keep their spot, other clubs have to qualify to stay... i dont know, but still i think the idea is good + UEFA doesnt to get to have a monopoly anymore.

Didn't the early ESL papers show founders will have spot for 15-20 years? It's not forever.. it's actually pretty short time compared what crap they have to take now. I am fine with that.

This would never happen without the guarantee of them making at least some money of it.. It would be dumb. They are already taking risk here.

KingLeo10

He actually just showed a poll that he himself conducted to 5 nations asking if they support a super league.
72% of italians support it, 71% of french support it, 76% of spaniards support it, 59% of english support it, and 57% of germans support it.

lmao..

:lol::lol: Making up poll numbers. Straight out of the Donald's playbook.

FCBfan22

What's actually stopping Laporta from pulling out? Not like a check as cashed in already right?

The contract was signed this Saturday.

Knowing Flo, there is probably a clause which could penalise us heavily for pulling out of the competition.

Yannik

"It's unfair that we lose money while other lesser clubs make money in spite of us."

"The kids these days say matches are too long, maybe we should shorten the length, I don't know."

FinBarcelonafan

No more Steaua Bucharest's, Ajax's, PSVs, Malmo's, Brugge's, Red Star Belgrade's, Dynamo Kiev's either.

We already lost alot of historic clubs the because the money moved to the big 3/4 leagues. We are now losing alot of top clubs in Spain, Italy because the money is in England.

Even ESL will have underdogs. Year by year basis. Teams won't be the same strength all the time.

fergus90

People will soon be fed up of seeing Barcelona vs Juventus for the 10th time in four years. Yes the group stages of the CL needs an update but the novelty of the same teams playing each other in a European league will soon wear off too.

Also away attendance is bound to be non-existent after a while with all the travel costs.

FCBfan22

"It's unfair that we lose money while other lesser clubs make money in spite of us."

"The kids these days say matches are too long, maybe we should shorten the length, I don't know."

So, in short, making football more of a show and attract more plastic fans.

Gr8

Home of Barca Fans