Alessandro Nesta

W

Worms

Don't know how you can read Messi's mind but I think he was frustrated because penalty hasn't been awarded after Nesta kicked him.
And I wouldn't exactly say that Nesta bettered Messi after the latter mashed Milan's defense along with Nesta to set up Pedro. Or earned that FK on Nesta again from which Villa scored.
Nesta is good but let's not go crazy.

Nesta weren't at fault for Pedros goal,that was Abate and T Silva.Also you can't blame him for Villa scoring a 30 yard free kick LOL.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Word. Purely as a defender, Nesta is/was infinitely better, tbh. For most of his career Rio benefited a lot more from his athleticism than pure defensive ability, which did eventually come good in his late 20's when United won their 3 leagues in a row and the CL. But really, the two absolutely cannot be compared, there's not many from this generation that can be compared to Nesta really.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Word. Purely as a defender, Nesta is/was infinitely better, tbh. For most of his career Rio benefited a lot more from his athleticism than pure defensive ability, which did eventually come good in his late 20's when United won their 3 leagues in a row and the CL. But really, the two absolutely cannot be compared, there's not many from this generation that can be compared to Nesta really.

Are you serious? Rio benefitted from his Athleticism more than his defensive ability? Gooood Gracious.

Rio has ALWAYS been a fantastic reader of the game, its always been his strongest asset, when he was younger he had lapses of concentration, whch his good athletic ability got him out of, But as he matured the lapses went, and he became THE best CB in the world (06 - 09)

His athletic Ability was a bonus,not something he relied on.

W

Worms

The only player who comes close in the last 15 years is Cannavaro.

And Rio Ferdinand is a good defender,but I don't think he was the best in the world from 07 -09,Vidic,Puyol and carvalho where all better than him.He gets beat in the air quite alot and made lot's of mistakes.When he plays against fast trick strikers he doesn't look anywhere near as assuring as Puyol,Cannavaro or Nesta at there peak.

The mere suggestion that he's comparable to Nesta or Cannavaro is laughable at best and would be laughed at by anybody outside England.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I don't think it's unfair to say Rio and Cannavaro were on comparable levels. I actually like Rio, he's composed for an English defender. A healthy Nesta shits on both of them however.

Cannavaro's reputation is a little overgrown because of the World Cup. He was a great stopper no doubt, but he spent most of his career at Juve and Parma next to an equally great stopper in Thuram. His short time at Inter was unconvincing (though he was unlucky), and he was bad more than good at Madrid.

W

Worms

Cannavaro was well better than Rio imo and most other people who have watched Cannavaro would say the same thing.But I agree Nesta was better.

Also the same could be said for how Cannavaro made Materazzi look better for Italy after Nesta got injured in the group stages,Italy only conceded one goal in the knockout stages and that was when Malouda dived for a penalty.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Rio's the only defender who gets near Nesta in terms of sheer ability. Cannavaro's probably #3 in terms of talent, but as Nolan says, he played an awful lot of games alongside The ManGod Thuram, so it's hard to judge how great he really is in comparison to Rio and Nesta who have had to take the field alongside some fucking atrocious defenders in their time.

if Piquenbauer can sort his concentration issues (which you'd figure he will as he gets older) out he'll shit on all of them, though.

Last edited:
W

Worms

Rio's the only defender who gets near Nesta in terms of sheer ability. Cannavaro's probably #3 in terms of talent, but as Nolan says, he played an awful lot of games alongside The ManGod Thuram, so it's hard to judge how great he really is in comparison to Rio and Nesta who have had to take the field alongside some fucking atrocious defenders in their time.

if Piquenbauer can sort his concentration issues (which you'd figure he will as he gets older) out he'll shit on all of them, though.

Mr I love Manchester United strikes again.

By the way Rio isn't even Uniteds best defender,never mind comparing him to Leg ends of the game.

Last edited:

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
what the hell is it with Mancs?

Rooney is comparable to Pele
Rio is comparable to Nesta

geezzzus ... get a grip.

Home of Barca Fans