Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Altomonte

Messi had 59 goals and 32 assists in 2016. 8 goals for Argentina have to be counted. Zlatan performed very poorly at Euros, really let down his Swedish NT.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Why are we comparing Zlatan to Leo again?

There's no denying that Leo is miles ahead of Zlatan in terms of talent as well as achievement! Being next to only the greatest is quite an achievement, even more so when he has done that at 35!!
I do not see the reason why Leo's greatness has to be reiterated here.....

Altomonte

it is not 'us' comparing Zlatan to Messi, it's what the British commentators are doing. I am just watching MANU - WHU and the commentators just said 'only Messi scored more goals than Zlatan in 2016, 51 vs 50'.
Give him credit though for being very fit for his age.

Messi is obviously the best but Ibrahimovic is the second most talented, second most complete forward in the past 15 years and his longevity is amazing. Comparing Messi and Ibra would be a lot more fun and legitimate than the cristiano circus, that's for sure.

Trillske

Why are we comparing Zlatan to Leo again?
Because its spectacular to reach Messi in goals scored. A strong contestant for the best attacking player ever, still in his prime years.

And no, it cant be hidden behind "easy ligue 1 goals". Its not the hardest league to win, but it is not an easy league to score goals in for that matter. Just look at it year after year, at how other good attackers have performed. And add to that, just look at Paris struggling after he left. Turns out it wasnt as easy to dominate that league as it looked.

And yeah, some PL-people will stretch it as allways, but that has nothing to to with my comments. We could have some fun comparing Messi and Ibra in different achievements, but if we are just comparing the "overall best attacking performance" and not some sub category, no one is even close to Messi. Not Ibra, certainly not CR.

Hardy

Messi is obviously the best but Ibrahimovic is the second most talented, second most complete forward in the past 15 years and his longevity is amazing. Comparing Messi and Ibra would be a lot more fun and legitimate than the cristiano circus, that's for sure.

so Ibra is better than Cristiano? seriously?

Falcao

Messi had 59 goals and 32 assists in 2016. 8 goals for Argentina have to be counted. Zlatan performed very poorly at Euros, really let down his Swedish NT.

The Swedish team were terrible with an awful manager who lasted way too long in the job. As you see with even Messi, factoring in international form is much more complex then this.

It would have been a nice record for Zlatan and he was screwed over by a very poor referee decision. It's impressive because he is doing it at age 35 and across 2 leagues, I have definitely noticed him adapting his game to the English where in recent weeks his hold up play has been immense. So credit to him.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Because its spectacular to reach Messi in goals scored. A strong contestant for the best attacking player ever, still in his prime years.

And no, it cant be hidden behind "easy ligue 1 goals". Its not the hardest league to win, but it is not an easy league to score goals in for that matter. Just look at it year after year, at how other good attackers have performed. And add to that, just look at Paris struggling after he left. Turns out it wasnt as easy to dominate that league as it looked.

And yeah, some PL-people will stretch it as allways, but that has nothing to to with my comments. We could have some fun comparing Messi and Ibra in different achievements, but if we are just comparing the "overall best attacking performance" and not some sub category, no one is even close to Messi. Not Ibra, certainly not CR.
No I totally agreed with what you said (probably chose the wrong words is all).... It is sort of odd when people have to immediately swoop in & justify how his achievement is actually pretty low when compared against Leo, talk about insecurity!

So I was like, Why do we feel so insecure every time there's a minute comparison with Leo!?

so Ibra is better than Cristiano? seriously?

Pretty much. There's no question he is a lot more complete and talented. Ronaldo has some goals over him, good for him. Playing as the main finisher for a juggernaut club for 8 years alongside the extremely unselfish Benzema. Remains to be seen how long CR -and Ibra- will be able to keep going

Last edited:

Trillske

For me it´d make more sense to bring up Ibra than CR in a discussion about the best. He certainly woudnt win, but he is still interesting to discuss. It would be something like "Well, Ibra did X and Y for clubs A, B, C, D, E in D different leagues and countries which is both ridiculous and unique. And he is in a league of his own regarding sick highlights". Then you would continue to guys like Messi and Ibra would quickly be out, because a player like Messi has changed so many competitions - even CL - pretty much on his own(!). And its really hard to debate that accomplishment with other types of accomplishments, as the sport is about winning.

But CR hasnt done that either, and he doesnt have the other interesting accomplishments to even warrant a discussion. He stayed in La Liga and scored a shitload of goals. While that is very impressive, its still just one of the things Messi has done as well. Scoring a shitload of aggregate goals in La Liga is not Messis best accomplishment by far, yet they go head to head in that category anyway. When that is CRs *unique thing*, what is left to discuss?

Last edited:

Hardy

For me it´d make more sense to bring up Ibra than CR in a discussion about the best. He certainly woudnt win, but he is still interesting to discuss. It would be something like "Well, Ibra did X and Y for clubs A, B, C, D, E in D different leagues and countries which is both ridiculous and unique. And he is in a league of his own regarding sick highlights". Then you would continue to guys like Messi and Ibra would quickly be out, because a player like Messi has changed so many competitions - even CL - pretty much on his own(!). And its really hard to debate that accomplishment with other types of accomplishments, as the sport is about winning.

But CR hasnt done that either, and he doesnt have the other interesting accomplishments to even warrant a discussion. He stayed in La Liga and scored a shitload of goals. While that is very impressive, its still just one of the things Messi has done as well. Scoring a shitload of aggregate goals in La Liga is not Messis best accomplishment by far, yet they go head to head in that category anyway. When that is CRs *unique thing*, what is left to discuss?

WHAT? Ronaldo at least won 3 CL , Ibra has one the most embarrassing record for a world class forward in knock-out stages and basically if wasn't for us he wouldn't know what is a CL semifinal.

WHAT? Ronaldo at least won 3 CL , Ibra has one the most embarrassing record for a world class forward in knock-out stages and basically if wasn't for us he wouldn't know what is a CL semifinal.

Talk about productive debate :')

Hey bro Douglas won a CL too. That's not a unique thing.

Hardy

Talk about productive debate :')

Hey bro Douglas won a CL too. That's not a unique thing.

guess Douglas has the same impact of a guy who almost scored 100 goal in that competition. Please, the comparison is between Ronaldo and Ibra, two players with the same status and both played with great teams, but it's not even the fact that Ibra never won a CL (for the record not even close...), the fact is that he's a choker, so many times he lost vs underdogs and most important as i mentioned his record in knock-out stages is embarrassing compared to Ronaldo and other world class forward. Dragged his team at least to a CL semifinal (thing that he has never done in his life...) and then we can talk about.

Last edited:
guess Douglas has the same impact of a guy who almost scored 100 goal in that competition. Please, the comparison is between Ronaldo and Ibra, two players with the same status and both played with great teams, but it's not even the fact that Ibra never won a CL, the fact is that he's a choker, as i mentioned his record in knock-out stages is embarrassing compared to Ronaldo and other world class forward. Dragged his team at least to a CL semifinal (thing that he has never done in his life...) and then we can talk about.

I'm talking about which player is the better footballer, not the most successful. Over the years Ronaldo's abilities have faded, he's been nothing more than a clinical finisher for a long time. Still an elite player, sure. Zlatan is a great playmaker in his own right on top of being a prolific scorer.

Concerning club success, Ronaldo has 3 more CLs and... 9 less league titles.

Trillske

basically if wasn't for us he wouldn't know what is a CL semifinal.
In his very long career there is one single season and club where Ibra didnt really have a huge impact. And its that season in Barcelona. Whether it happened on or off the field, he didnt really fit in.

Now, you are portraying that season as his most successful. That should say something about the metrics you are using.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans