Xabi Alonso

Galning

I said it before the game Alonso is one of the worst. Not surprisingly he got his first yellow after 90 minutes :lol:

Galning

I've always said this guy is so overrated. Spain looks so much better without him. One DM in Busquets is so awesome, heck even if Del Bosque wants to play with two I think he'll pick Martínez before Alonso. I think this might be the tournament where he loses his spot.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
His style of play doesnt suit the setup Spain is using.

He's not awfu and is a great playerl, but he just doesnt fit in.

Galning

Whenever he plays for Spain it hurts my eyes. As you said he just doesn't belong in that midfield. Simply not good enough.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Not always about talent. He just seems more of an old style footballer, not fitting with the modern game. He's not very mobile, likes aggressive defensive play, and his passing range is impressive but he's still very slow with them. If he was playing in the 80's or something he'd be one of the best players in the world, but right now he just seems sort of out of place.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I've always said this guy is so overrated. Spain looks so much better without him. One DM in Busquets is so awesome, heck even if Del Bosque wants to play with two I think he'll pick Martínez before Alonso. I think this might be the tournament where he loses his spot.

Overrated :lol:

Paganinisrvnge

I feel like a lot of people on here just dismiss players' talent based solely on the fact that they play for Real Madrid. Xabi Alonso, Ramos, and Casillas are all fantastic players. Xabi Alonso was MOTM vs France at the Euros last year if I remember correctly.

I do think Martinez is the man for the future if Del Bosque wants to go with the double pivot again but Alonso has been up there with the best midfielders in the world for a few years.

A few poor tackles against Messi(only Nesta and Thiago Silva can make proper tackles on Messi) does not make him shit.

Irish_Cules

I feel like a lot of people on here just dismiss players' talent based solely on the fact that they play for Real Madrid. Xabi Alonso, Ramos, and Casillas are all fantastic players. Xabi Alonso was MOTM vs France at the Euros last year if I remember correctly.

I do think Martinez is the man for the future if Del Bosque wants to go with the double pivot again but Alonso has been up there with the best midfielders in the world for a few years.

A few poor tackles against Messi(only Nesta and Thiago Silva can make proper tackles on Messi) does not make him shit.

Agreed

XaviMessiGirl

I loved Xabi at Liverpool, tbh he was one of my first "favorite" individual footballers. Disappointing some of the stuff he's done at Madrid though & he definitely doesn't fit in Spain's midfield but in the big picture, he's not overrated.

Galning

Quote me on Ramos or Casillas, or even DonAndres & DonAK. Nobody is talking about these players I don't get what they have to do with this either. Casillas is obviously great and I'll be the first to say that. Ramos has also turned into a great defender, especially the last two years he has been superb.
Me saying Alonso is overrated has nothing to do with him playing for Real Madrid. I just don't like his style at all.

Disagree? o_0

You probably have fond memories of him at Liverpool, but that is some years ago. Way past his prime, you cant do anything but admit that he is in decline and lately he has been declining rapidly.

BarçaForum rule #671; Don't bother replying to someone who quoted you only to post a smiley face.

khorne

I loved Xabi at Liverpool, tbh he was one of my first "favorite" individual footballers. Disappointing some of the stuff he's done at Madrid though & he definitely doesn't fit in Spain's midfield but in the big picture, he's not overrated.
hmmm if you want spain to play like barca, that's true. but spain under del bosque is a tournament team, they play slower and less flashy than barca, but also with more defensive substance and control. For that system with the double pivot, xabi alonso has been the ideal player in the last years. He brought some steel to the midfield and he offered some long range shooting or passing alternatives to the gameplay, but he was still able to take part in the tiqui taca. Maybe his time is up now, but i always enjoyed him with the seleccion. Those pin point 50 meter passes of the cuff!

Home of Barca Fans