• Colombia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigeria

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters

Mika94

I'm for Argentina all the way, but I think Brazil will have the upper hand (they have the best defense by far). But Argentina with Messi, Di Maria and Agüero at 100% is very scary.
Belgium have a very nice squad as well, but maybe they're too young yet. Anyway, I don't think Spain will win it again. Besides, no European country has won it in South America, and I have a feeling they won't do it this time neither.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I'm for Argentina all the way, but I think Brazil will have the upper hand (they have the best defense by far). But Argentina with Messi, Di Maria and Agüero at 100% is very scary.
Belgium have a very nice squad as well, but maybe they're too young yet. Anyway, I don't think Spain will win it again. Besides, no European country has won it in South America, and I have a feeling they won't do it this time neither.

Its a record breaking year I expect more surprises. Moyes breaking record, ManU out of CL, Barca losing 3 games in a row, Barca conceding possession to an opponent, Atletico gunning for La Liga and CL, Messi having 4 injuries, Liverpool leading EPL with 4 games to go (or is it 5), Undertaker's streak broken,etc etc.

ivan_barca

Brazil and Spain are by far the best teams.Diego Costa would be the key for Spain and the missed peace for Brazil.I do not trust in Fred.Everything else they have perfect completed.Marcelo D.Luiz T.Silva and D.Alves is just the best defensive line.Fast,strong,aggressive,all of them with perfect technique.The way they deal up with Spain in Conf.cyp final was really impressive.

Ursegor

World Champion
Agüero hasn't played a single full game for more than 4 months. Higuain is playing a so so season with 12 goals from open play in 31 games in Serie A (as a comparison: Llorente has been more prolific and he will most likely not even travel with Spain). Gago has just fucked up his knee and was their midfield engine throughout the qualifications. Banega, his replacement, is doing God knows what at Newell's right now and isn't integrated into the Argentina midfield at all. Romero, who is warming the bench in Monaco, is guaranteed to start according to Sabella. In their last game against Romania they looked quite flat as a team and I doubt even Messi will be able to switch on the "beast mode" all of a sudden. In other words: Argentina are pretty much screwed. But you never know I guess.

desoe

Brazil pretty much remind me of their 2002 winning squad - some respectable force in defense, dominant and powerful midfielders like Gilberto Silva and enough talent upfront to do the business. And oh wait, there's Scolari again... :lol:

Kerrybai

Di Maria is possibly the key to the Argies world cup, he's been playing some great football recently but his form is always hot and cold.

serghei

It's funny that people speak of Argentina as if anything you need to win a WC are attackers. They're weak in defence and will get exposed against any great team. Brasil has a much more balanced team and their backline of four will take them far. Spain, with Alba - Ramos - Pique - Azpilicueta will also have a shot at the title. And I say we'll see some good football from Italy and even England, if they put in the best players (Liverpool is doing well in the PL with many english internationals). Germany are there in the mix too. I don't see Argentina in top 4 candidates to win the WC. I just don't.

zanela

Agüero hasn't played a single full game for more than 4 months. Higuain is playing a so so season with 12 goals from open play in 31 games in Serie A (as a comparison: Llorente has been more prolific and he will most likely not even travel with Spain). Gago has just fucked up his knee and was their midfield engine throughout the qualifications. Banega, his replacement, is doing God knows what at Newell's right now and isn't integrated into the Argentina midfield at all. Romero, who is warming the bench in Monaco, is guaranteed to start according to Sabella. In their last game against Romania they looked quite flat as a team and I doubt even Messi will be able to switch on the "beast mode" all of a sudden. In other words: Argentina are pretty much screwed. But you never know I guess.

Intl comp is a totally diff beast with all to play for. Footballers tend to approach it differently. I wouldn't dwell too much on their club form because there is no guarantee they can translate their superior weekly showing on the Intl stage. Conversely, Barca players came trumps in the summer of '08, at the back of a disappointing season. As long as key players can make it without any kind of fatigue wearing them down, I'm not worried how they finish the season with their respective clubs.
Though, liabilities like Romero continuing to showcase their incompetence is disconcerting. This from the recent cup match. He's slightly better for the Skyblue, but that's not a consolation. :angry: :lol:

Agüero should be fine by the time summer arrives. And its not fair to compare Pipita's stats with llorente, who has a much superior supporting cast at his disposal. Napoli don't tend to create much, and their MF/WF always prefer to shoot rather make a pass to their frontman. A lot of the times they don't even pick Gonzo's runs. Their only decent creative player in Hamsik was out for nearly 2 months. Additionally, at Napoli his role is that of as a target man, dropping in to MF, and bringing others in to play. He's Napoli's leading assist-man over all competitions. When given a good supply, he'll cause damage as he always does. Shouldn't be a prob with Arg. As for Gago, the latest reports confirm he should be back in time for their last warm-up against Slovenia. If not Banega should step up. (I hope)

It's funny that people speak of Argentina as if anything you need to win a WC are attackers. They're weak in defence and will get exposed against any great team. Brasil has a much more balanced team and their backline of four will take them far. Spain, with Alba - Ramos - Pique - Azpilicueta will also have a shot at the title. And I say we'll see some good football from Italy and even England, if they put in the best players (Liverpool is doing well in the PL with many english internationals). Germany are there in the mix too. I don't see Argentina in top 4 candidates to win the WC. I just don't.

Arg defence is not amongst the best, but its not as bad as its being projected. Against potent oppn., Sabella's sure to drop an attacker, and play a conservative set-up, giving enough cover for the defence. I'm usually wary about my favs' chances, but I expect Sabella's team to go farther than maradona's. They will, however, fall short in the end. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism

3 out of 4 of Brasils back four can't defend.

macleod

I think Argentina won the cup.Now is the perfect moment.Brazil,Spain and Germany will be other rivals for the cup.I don't think other national team can win in Brazil.

Ursegor

World Champion
Intl comp is a totally diff beast with all to play for. Footballers tend to approach it differently. I wouldn't dwell too much on their club form because there is no guarantee they can translate their superior weekly showing on the Intl stage. Conversely, Barca players came trumps in the summer of '08, at the back of a disappointing season. As long as key players can make it without any kind of fatigue wearing them down, I'm not worried how they finish the season with their respective clubs.
Though, liabilities like Romero continuing to showcase their incompetence is disconcerting. This from the recent cup match. He's slightly better for the Skyblue, but that's not a consolation. :angry: :lol:

Agüero should be fine by the time summer arrives. And its not fair to compare Pipita's stats with llorente, who has a much superior supporting cast at his disposal. Napoli don't tend to create much, and their MF/WF always prefer to shoot rather make a pass to their frontman. A lot of the times they don't even pick Gonzo's runs. Their only decent creative player in Hamsik was out for nearly 2 months. Additionally, at Napoli his role is that of as a target man, dropping in to MF, and bringing others in to play. He's Napoli's leading assist-man over all competitions. When given a good supply, he'll cause damage as he always does. Shouldn't be a prob with Arg. As for Gago, the latest reports confirm he should be back in time for their last warm-up against Slovenia. If not Banega should step-up. (I hope)

Oh, I don't disagree with that. We've all seen how Lady Gago turned into Gagiesta throughout the qualifications. Klose would be another example who scores for Germany no matter what. One still can't completely erase the fact that Argentina's midfield engine will be out for 2 months so close before the tournament begins. Club and international form might be different ball games but a certain rythm and match fitness has to be there regardless. Same goes for Agüero. When he played against us in Camp Nou he touched the ball once before getting subbed off - at kickoff. He can't enter the World Cup like that.

Comparing Pipita's with Llorente's output might have been a bit lazy. Let me put it this way. Higuain isn't showing anything special this season. Contrary to 2010 when he was basically carrying Real Madrid while Ronaldo was injured. He also tends to miss sitters in general but that's another story. I know your affection for the player but Higuain is not someone who will be THE difference maker in a World Cup semi-final for me when competent teams at that stage will mark Messi heavily.

During their qualification campaign I had them as semi-favourites for the World Cup. Right now I don't think they will show that sort of form.

Home of Barca Fans