What position does Cesc play at Barcelona?

What position does Cesc play at Barcelona?

• Left Wing

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • The Xavi role

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • The Iniesta role

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Center forward

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters

poltergeist

He plays mostly as AM(Iniesta role). I don't recall ever seeing him play as CM(Xavi role). Even when Xavi isn't playing, Iniesta plays as CM and Cesc plays as AM, like in the game against Valencia.

Lately, we've been playing Busi-Xavi-Cesc in midfield and Iniesta has been playing on the left(Villa role).

However, when we play 3-4-3, Cesc plays in the space between midfield and attack - 'the hole', a 'false 10' as some call it and is often behind Messi.

I don't think it's such a great idea starting Xavi, Cesc, Iniesta when we play 4-3-3(except Messi isn't playing and Cesc plays as a 'false 9' where he's okay IMO) because it often means one of them will be played out of position and it's often Iniesta played on the left where he's not just as good as he is when playing in midfield. Iniesta plays best when he is making runs from deep, part of why I think he'd be the one to replace Xavi as CM.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

If i were to judge based on bayer game alone id choose all of above and box to box. The beautiful shifts of ground work and pitch that were covered by he and pedro are commendable.

Maria

The question should have been: "What position Cesc should play for Barcelona?"

And just accept it people, Thiago is a fringe player. F A C T

FACT:

Thiago 2229 Minutes
Cesc 2555 Minutes

And Cesc shouldn't be a starter either, especially when Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are on the field. He looks more lost then me in a hardware store.

abual3bed1

86080570-barcelonas-cesc.jpg

exactly

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
He seems to be playing at Iniesta's position at the moment, forcing Iniesta out on the wings (at least during the last game, but we've seen it before). He's also played as a striker and as the invisible man, being all over the pitch but never noticed

Birdy

Where CESC plays:
1) in the 3-4-3 he plays as a 'false 10' on the top of the diamond alternating with the 'false 9' (messi)
2) in the 4-3-3 he plays in inesta's place, ousting him out wide ...

Of course he is better in 1, but we have stopped watching that lately.. Instead we are suffering the torture of watching number 2.. I want iniesta next to Xavi FFS!

Where CESC should play:
in 1. ONLY!
in 2 Thiago is better. Only if two out of Xavi, iniesta, Thiago are out he should be permitted to play there.. Better CF than eating the space iniesta should occupy..

Ketoth

I think Cesc is the best CM at Barcelona. His best for Arsenal always came playing deep, despite his high assist and chance stats playing higher up. Guardiola originally said he wanted to play Cesc in a deep role (this was before the world cup).

Pepe Silvia

If Cesc were the best CM at Barça then wouldn't he have taken Xavi's place in Spain's starting XI on more than a handful of occasions? Look, Cesc is fantastic, but he is yet to develop the Ferrari fine tuning of tempo and control that Xavi has. Stats aside (they are not everything as you know) Xavi is superior at just about everything but finishing, headers and just being generally young and swaggy like Cesc is.

Maria

Cesc creates more chances and assists than Xavi, even from a deeper role.

His assist for the Sporting Gijon player the other day was quite impressive..but not as impressive as the one he gave Iniesta a year ago.

Home of Barca Fans