Van Persie

adil_909

one question to arsenal fans regarding rvp:

from what i've been reading online, only two options are being discussed regarding his future.

option 1- sell him this summer and cash in on him.
option 2- let him go on a free next summer.

but surely there is a 3rd option there that is not being discussed.

option 3- refuse to sell him this year and instead surround him with quality players, knowing that if he sees more ambition and arsenal win a trophy this year. he is likely to sign a new contract before summer 2013.

why is this not being discussed? he's said that money is not his motivating factor. and he turned down a very lucrative contract with arsenal, proving that it's not just about money with him. so you guys have bought giroud and poldi, just get some more depth in midfield and don't let rvp go. especially not to city or united like it's being discussed, that's just stupid. you guys have for years spoken about the fact that you are a financially sound club, you don't need money. well if you are as financially secure as you claim, then you won't sell your most prized possession and keep him with the hopes that by winning something this year, you'll convince him to stay for the long term. arsenal football club does not need money, it needs trophies, and you are much more likely to win them with rvp in your squad than without.

just want to know whats so ridiculous about this notion, and why nobody is discussing this in the media or forums whatsoever?

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb

option 3- refuse to sell him this year and instead surround him with quality players, knowing that if he sees more ambition and arsenal win a trophy this year. he is likely to sign a new contract before summer 2013.
Because it won't happen

Meitux

one question to arsenal fans regarding rvp:

from what i've been reading online, only two options are being discussed regarding his future.

option 1- sell him this summer and cash in on him.
option 2- let him go on a free next summer.

why is this not being discussed? he's said that money is not his motivating factor. and he turned down a very lucrative contract with arsenal, proving that it's not just about money with him. so you guys have bought giroud and poldi, just get some more depth in midfield and don't let rvp go. especially not to city or united like it's being discussed, that's just stupid. you guys have for years spoken about the fact that you are a financially sound club, you don't need money. well if you are as financially secure as you claim, then you won't sell your most prized possession and keep him with the hopes that by winning something this year, you'll convince him to stay for the long term. arsenal football club does not need money, it needs trophies, and you are much more likely to win them with rvp in your squad than without.

just want to know whats so ridiculous about this notion, and why nobody is discussing this in the media or forums whatsoever?
yeah we saw how arsenal got for trophies with van persie with or not with him the wont win shit and i dont think that podolski's signing or giroud's will make any diffrence this club is finished by some 4-5 years ago

Andersen22

I can't even believe there has been rumours about we wanted to sign Rvp...
Too old, too expensive, and my personal opinion is that he wouldn't fit in :S

Trickykid

I'm assuming that option 3 is a question of pride. RVP basically shat all over the club who put so much faith in him for so many injury plagued seasons and brought back memories of past stars such as Nasri (and to a small degree Cesc and Henry) who left the club in order to win trophies after relatively shot term personal succes as Arsenal. Arsenal fans most likely still have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that Arsenal, for more than a few seasons now, just can't hold on to their most prized possessions, because they're not the footballing juggernaught they used to be. Trying to suck up to RVP by not punishing him with a sale or bench-exile for a year, and instead begging him to change his mind by accommodating his every need, just seems like too much of a kick in the teeth of the clubs pride to me.

This is of course all speculation, but to me at least, it would seem like a probable cause.

adil_909

I'm assuming that option 3 is a question of pride. RVP basically shat all over the club who put so much faith in him for so many injury plagued seasons and brought back memories of past stars such as Nasri (and to a small degree Cesc and Henry) who left the club in order to win trophies after relatively shot term personal succes as Arsenal. Arsenal fans most likely still have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that Arsenal, for more than a few seasons now, just can't hold on to their most prized possessions, because they're not the footballing juggernaught they used to be. Trying to suck up to RVP by not punishing him with a sale or bench-exile for a year, and instead begging him to change his mind by accommodating his every need, just seems like too much of a kick in the teeth of the clubs pride to me.

This is of course all speculation, but to me at least, it would seem like a probable cause.

hmm that is an interesting persepctive. i wonder how arsenal fans feel about this. to me, i'm a very practical person and i don't like to let pride or emotions get in the way or important decisions. from a practical perspective, i cannot see what arsenal gains by selling rvp this year. they have said over and over they are money and are financially sound. what they need are trophies. rvp was premier league player of the season, and with arteta staying fit, wilshire coming back, and giroud and podolski to play around him, theres no reason why he can't repeat that. even after the terrible start arsenal got they still finished 3rd. i don't think its a stretch to see arsenal challenging for the title if rvp stays, and having a strong fa/carling cup run. but the key will be to suck it up, understand that they need rvp more than rvp needs them, and to not let pride get in the way of practicality. i'm sure if arsenal can have a good fa cup run even that rvp is likely to sign a new contract at arsenal.

Trickykid

hmm that is an interesting persepctive. i wonder how arsenal fans feel about this. to me, i'm a very practical person and i don't like to let pride or emotions get in the way or important decisions. from a practical perspective, i cannot see what arsenal gains by selling rvp this year. they have said over and over they are money and are financially sound. what they need are trophies. rvp was premier league player of the season, and with arteta staying fit, wilshire coming back, and giroud and podolski to play around him, theres no reason why he can't repeat that. even after the terrible start arsenal got they still finished 3rd. i don't think its a stretch to see arsenal challenging for the title if rvp stays, and having a strong fa/carling cup run. but the key will be to suck it up, understand that they need rvp more than rvp needs them, and to not let pride get in the way of practicality. i'm sure if arsenal can have a good fa cup run even that rvp is likely to sign a new contract at arsenal.

What you're saying does make a lot of sense, perhaps more than my theory about pride. However I don't think you can completely discount the influence of emotions in football, even on the managerial side.
I very vividly recall the Figo case back then. Once the cat was out of the bag, and his switch to Real in a flash when from completely out of this world-batshit-impossible to probable, I instantly said fuck him, kick him to the freaking moon for all I care. When he completed his transfer to Los Merengues I was absolutely distraught, but by then it was already too late.
I know this was the forbidden transfer between Barca and Real, but I honestly don't think the relationship between Arsenal and City is much better after the recent transfer debacles between the two.

About the strengtening of their squad by signing Giroud and Poldi, I'm not nearly as impressed as you are. Giroud seems like somewhat a gamble; surely he can come good and be a succes but it's by no means given. Poldi has never impressed me much. I know he just had a splendid season and sure, he had a great Euro 2008(?) but aside from that he doesn't strike me as a PL champion sort of player. How RVP sees all this is of course impossible to know, but ultimately it doen't seem like he believes in them making the difference Arsenal needs to make it to the top again.

Robbie

RVP was never a prolific striker. In all his 8 years it was only 2011/12 that he started scoring like crazy, and that was with Wenger making him a #9 and having all the plays and maneuvers flowing to and finishing at the end of his boot. That's what Wenger does; he looks at a player he has, and messes with the formation/tactics until he gets the best out of him. Sometimes, when that player leaves (after thinking they're the greatest thing ever) they get a bit of a shock when they're at a new club. It happened to Hleb, it happened to Flamini, and it happens to Robin whenever he goes off to play with the Dutch NT.

We lost RVP but we didn't lose Wenger. He turned a Feyenoord winger with attitude problems into a 37 goal striker. He turned a lanky 8 goal per season 24 year from AS Monaco into a 30 goal striker (Adebayor). Eduardo was looking absolutely brilliant before he broke his leg (was going to be our Henry replacement). Whose to say Wenger won't do the same with Podolski or Giroud? Podolski scored 17 goals and Giroud scored 25 last season.

jamrock

Don't know why the big fuss over RVP, he is 29 going 30 and has only ever had one break out season, I can see why he would want to leave to at least one medal in this trophy case, but why fuss over him staying I don't know.

Meitux

RVP was never a prolific striker. In all his 8 years it was only 2011/12 that he started scoring like crazy, and that was with Wenger making him a #9 and having all the plays and maneuvers flowing to and finishing at the end of his boot. That's what Wenger does; he looks at a player he has, and messes with the formation/tactics until he gets the best out of him. Sometimes, when that player leaves (after thinking they're the greatest thing ever) they get a bit of a shock when they're at a new club. It happened to Hleb, it happened to Flamini, and it happens to Robin whenever he goes off to play with the Dutch NT.

We lost RVP but we didn't lose Wenger. He turned a Feyenoord winger with attitude problems into a 37 goal striker. He turned a lanky 8 goal per season 24 year from AS Monaco into a 30 goal striker (Adebayor). Eduardo was looking absolutely brilliant before he broke his leg (was going to be our Henry replacement). Whose to say Wenger won't do the same with Podolski or Giroud? Podolski scored 17 goals and Giroud scored 25 last season.
oh yeah adebayor was such a beast at arsenal and hleb was a starter at arsenal and pretty good after he got disappeared coming to barcelona

Home of Barca Fans