Timo Werner

BBZ8800

1. Werner is not that good
2. he sucks in a possession football

Bayern Munich are reportedly having second thoughts about pursuing the signing of Timo Werner from RB Leipzig.
The summer transfer window has not started in the best possible way for Bayern Munich. Die Roten want to add at least one world-class attacking talent to their squad but the deals for their primary transfer targets are complicated.

Leroy Sane is the top transfer target for Bayern this summer. The German winger has been heavily linked with a move to Bavaria after struggling to get the desired amount of gametime under Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. However, the latest reports in Germany suggest that Sane is not interested in returning to Bundesliga and prefers to play in the Premier League.

Bayern will have to look at the alternative targets if Sane decides to stay at Man City. Timo Werner is considered as the most realistic alternative for Sane and the German striker has been heavily linked with a move to Bavaria. Werner remains determined to join Bayern this summer but the German champions are having doubts about the player.

According to Sport1, Bayern Munich is not sure whether Werner’s addition will make a huge impact. His demotion to a substitute role for Germany has not gone unnoticed at Bayern. This report also surprisingly insists that a move for Werner is independent of the club’s pursuit of Sane.

There is a growing belief between the player and Bayern that he cannot operate as a winger on a regular basis. Die Roten currently have many options in the central position right now. Robert Lewandowski is an undisputed starter for the club while the likes of Thomas Muller and Leon Goretzka can operate in the number ten role.

This new bit of information makes sense as RB Leipzig’s sporting director had admitted that there have been no offers from big clubs for Werner. Bayern chiefs have also remained coy whenever they have been asked about the German international. Werner meanwhile is still reluctant to sign a new contract with Die Roten Bullen.

The other stumbling block in this deal will be the evaluation of the player from both clubs.RB Leipzig reportedly wants €60 million while the Bavarians only want to pay half of that fee due to his contract situation. The German champions might wait till next summer to sign him on a free transfer instead of forking a big fee this year.

serghei

1. Werner is not that good
2. he sucks in a possession football

Can you give us some young players who are not not good? That we should sign?

No offense but you mostly write about players who won't make it, aren't this, don't make this, lack this or that. Give us some names that thick the boxes for you. Genuinely curious about this.

Xaviniesta

No offense but you mostly write about players who won't make it, aren't this, don't make this, lack this or that. Give us some names that thick the boxes for you. Genuinely curious about this.

Any player that’s 1.9m or above :coffee:

kattanib

Luka Jovic .. though we have missed that train

Last edited:

kattanib

Doesn't really help now, does it?

So Werner isn't an option, who is? We need solutions. If you were in charge of Barcelona right now, what would you do?

I would continue scouting .. this year we are fine as we have both Messi and Suarez who can play at the center forward position

kattanib

You need either someone like Etoo or someone like Aguero.

Etoo being the relatively physical clinical finisher though agile enough for barca style of play (aka Suarez style) who meets the required criteria for being a good enough with his passing, positioning, technique and control.

Aguero (aka Luka Jovic) is the one who has great agility, technique and control and is a good finisher. He will however physically suffer a bit and thus needs to create space for himself and maneuver. Think about the like of Tevez, Aguero and Jovic; shorter creatures but more grounded

Last edited:

jairzinho

Isn't Jovic 6 feet. ? He's far from short. But i agree with you we missed out on him big time.

If if were up to me i would take a gamble on either Werner or Richarlison for the #9 role.

Last edited:

kattanib

Isn't Jovic 6 feet. ? He's far from short. But i agree with you we missed out on him big time.

If if were up to me i would take a gamble on either Werner or Richarlison for the #9 role.

You are actually correct. I guess it is how his upper body is proportionally long compared to his lower body that gives him that groundness and control. Basically a compressed tank type of player. Shaqiri has one of these bodies as well

Last edited:

kattanib

Thinking about Luka now that you mentioned his height, he actually seems to be a hybrid of the two types of players I mentioned which could make him even more of a better fit to us .. if only.

He is a tank with a body that is relatively close to gravity, yet he is of the same height as Etoo and Suarez

BBZ8800

Oh. There is a thing called status quo.

For example, if you remove emotions and look at the future and potential transfers in terms of probabilities and numbers, then this is how I am looking at our situation:
1. our current team from the last season just won 2 La Ligas in a row and 4 out of 5 in the last 5 seasons.
In the last season, we were closest to a CL final in the last 4 years.
2. people are tired of old guys like Suarez, Raki and similar and want new shiny toys.
But, again, even a current team has just won 2 La Ligas in a row.
3. and now, we even got Griezz and De Jong (and maybe even De Ligt).
Even only with Griezz and Frenkie, we will probably be stronger than the last season.
So, that means that we will probably AGAIN win La Liga if we won't fix what ain't broken, plus we have 2 insane new players.

In terms of a CL, that is a different story.
We are not favorites anymore.
But, we were close this season.
Who knows, maybe with Griezz and Frenkie we will be stronger in the next season.
On the other hand, even with 5 new superstars worth 200M each, there is no guarantees that we will be MUCH better in a CL.

So, if you want La Liga and a CL, then asking for changes is fine.
But, if we accept that Messi is 33, and that he was our main factor in CLs and that he scored in 4 out of last 28 KO matches, then maybe it is time to lower our expectations.

In terms of signings, well, I wouldn't sell Suarez and Raki.
You know, don't fix what ain't broken.
Even though, you guys think that it is broken since we are not winning Cls and we play boring.

Further, in terms of fixing things, you know the numbers from the last 30 years:
1. each La Masia talent has around 5% chances for making it here
2. each signing has 33% chances to reach expectations
3. almost all signings are meh in their first season, except rare exceptions
4. younger signings have even lower chances for a success, from 20-25%, and again, majority of them will shine later, in their 2nd and 3rd season

Now, take Luka Jovic.
33% chances for making it here.
Since he is young, those chances are dropping to 20-25%.
And since he is a new guy, he will probably be meh in his first season.

Now, if you want to play it safe and win La Liga, who do you think is a safer bet: a good old Suarez with 20 goals per season or a new kid Jovic?
I know my choice.

Alena/Puig with 5-10% chances for a success and guys who are not called for youth NT teams vs Rakitic or Vidal?
Do I even need to explain what is a safer bet for winning La Liga again?

Timo Werner?
1. a bad fit for a possession football
2. a new guy, chances for making it here are 33%
3. he is young, so chances are actually only 20-25%
4. his first season, even if he will make it eventually=will be meh
5. Germans traditionally aren't too good in Spain
6. a price, 80-100M, right?

So, when you sum it all, Suarez is still the best option.

Someone will say: with that way, you will never buy new players.
Well, we have just bought Griezz and Frenkie and maybe we will buy De Ligt.

Regarding a new CF:
1. I would buy only a proven 150M CF
2. or some younger guy, when Suarez will be AS BAD that even a new kid with 25% chances for making it here=will be a better choice
That moment still hasn't come.

Some names?
I am not impressed by any youngster except Mbappe and maybe Sane, from strikers.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans