Timo Werner

serghei

Some names?
I am not impressed by any youngster except Mbappe and maybe Sane, from strikers.

OK. So, in your opinion, we shouldn't sign young players anymore, because there's zero chance we're getting Mbappe and same goes for Sane. Since they both play for oil clubs that never sell their best players.

So, basically you're not against the young players we sign, but almost all young players, since they have at best 25% chances of making it.

If a player is at his peak years, let's say 26-28 years old, and is not already playing for a big club, then that player is not Barcelona level most likely. And 26-28 years old players who start for the big clubs cost an arm and a leg. Look at how much Pogba would cost. Or how much a Bernardo Silva would cost if we would be on the market now. How much Coutinho cost us. How much Hazard is costing Madrid. You can't sign more than 3-4 of those players at best.

A team is formed with talented young players and several experienced top class players. That's how almost all winning sides are built. But the key ingredient that is bringing the fresh blood, the youngsters, and the experienced seasoned players together is the manager. You always disconsider that key ingredient.

Trent Alexander Arnold under Valverde, you'd probably looking at 10% chance of making it if we follow your percentages. TAA under Klopp was 80%. Same for Salah. Valverde woud've turned him into the arab version of Malcom. Klopp turned him into a world beater.

Youngsters have more or less chances to make it depending on their quality, their character, the manager they have, and the overall environment they are performing in. Luck plays a part too (2-3 injuries and career done could happen to any youngster). You make it sound as if the club has no role in developing young players. Otherwise you wouldn't post these numbers.

How do we know that Semedo and Dembele wouldn't have developed differently under a competent manager, and not the idiot we currently have? We don't. This is why it is vital to have the right manager. Because if you do, and trust that manager, then you know those players weren't good and it wasn't the manager and the club that were rotten. But when we have a clown in charge, and other clowns above him, you don't know that.

We could very well be selling Semedo to Simeone and he could turn him into the best rightback in the world. Back when we had a top top manager, you knew that when a guy didn't make it, see Bojan, or Chigrinsky, or others, they didn't have it. We simply trusted the manager and the staff, knew they were pros and very very good at their job. We saw other young players growing and developing in the team, like Yaya, Pedro, Busi, Pique etc. So we knew that when others didn't, it was them that were missing something. But now, basically all young players that this Valverde chump had, they all either declined or didn't improve at all. How do we know that all of these players were indeed bad apples, or the guy that is using them is fucking clueless?

In 24 months since Valverde joined not a single young player improved in this team.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I think it’s true that he youngsters coming through aren’t as good as generations before them. The stars of today aren’t as good as the era of Zidane, Nedved, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Pirlo, Iniesta, Eto’o, Drogba, Nesta etc etc etc

I agree with BBZ points about percentage chance of players making it at the club, but I also know that Suarez and Busquets are done and need to be replaced. The new players probably won’t be as good as they were at their peak, but their level in one or two seasons will surpass their level (and with de Jong he’s already better than Busquets). There’s always a chance a player will fail but you must take your chances. Madrid are smart not because every player is a success but they get rid of their flops fairly well and some of their signings do make it at their club and stay a long time.

I think it’s practical to go after younger players from an economic point of view, and also bringing in one established star per window. Going by this policy I’d go for Griezmann as the established star and de Jong and de Ligt as youngsters. To be fair the club is doing that.

Last edited:

kattanib

I think it’s true that he youngsters coming through aren’t as good as generations before them. The stars of today aren’t as good as the era of Zidane, Nedved, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Pirlo, Iniesta, Eto’o, Drogba, Nesta etc etc etc

I agree with BBZ points about percentage chance of players making it at the club, but I also know that Suarez and Busquets are done and need to be replaced. The new players probably won’t be as good as they were at their peak, but their level in one or two seasons will surpass their level (and with de Jong he’s already better than Busquets). There’s always a chance a player will fail but you must take your chances. Madrid are smart not because every player is a success but they get rid of their flops fairly well and some of their signings do make it at their club and stay a long time.

I think it’s practical to go after younger players from an economic point of view, and also bringing in one established star per window. Going by this policy I’d go for Griezmann as the established star and de Jong and de Ligt as youngsters. To be fair the club is doing that.

Batistuta, Vieri, Ronaldo, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Shivashinko, Raul ... pure class forwards tbh

MTL_Barca

Don't agree with BBZs blind hate for young players or the made up % numbers but i think he's right regarding Werner.

I think he would be a bad fit for Barca and even more so with Valverde as coach. But it doesn't matter, he's off to Bayern anyway. Most likely next summer for free since it seems like they won't match RBs rumored pricetag of 60M this summer.

Last edited:
Don't agree with BBZs blind hate for young players or the made up % numbers but i think he's right regarding Werner.

I think he would be a bad fit for Barca and even more so with Valverde as coach. But it doesn't matter, he's off to Bayern anyway. Most likely next summer for free since it seems like they won't match RBs rumored pricetag of 60M this summer.

I still hope that he is not coming to Bayern.

Werner is made for the system he right now plays in. He has a decent shooting technique and is very fast. He is not even the centre forward but somewhat a hanging striker - centre forward with a high workrate in Leipzig is Poulsen.

He is not good enough on the wing as he needs space and the space behind the defense - and centrally he is far not good enough to break into the Lewy-Müller-partnership.

Messi983

Werner has signed a contract extension with Leipzig until 2023. I've read he has a 60M buy out clause which will become even lower in coming years (it will be only 30M in 2022) so it's probably expected he'll be sold next year.

Riordon

Apparently the buy out clause is already now 30m. For a player of Werner calibre and with his potential, its a steal. Lacks a bit technique but he is a fantastic runner in behind. For that price we really should consider him.

Apparently the buy out clause is already now 30m. For a player of Werner calibre and with his potential, its a steal. Lacks a bit technique but he is a fantastic runner in behind. For that price we really should consider him.

Good spot. 30m Euro is insanely cheap for him. Though I've never been a big fan he's had a great start to the season and would be a massive upgrade on Gumpele at LW.

Riordon

Good spot. 30m Euro is insanely cheap for him. Though I've never been a big fan he's had a great start to the season and would be a massive upgrade on Gumpele at LW.

Exactly, could be that Villa/Pedro type of LW, constantly running in behind and giving the movement we lack so much. I like Donyell too but Werner has three great seasons + cheaper. Technique might be a problem against deep blocks. Sane could be an alternative too, he is leaving City and we could rival Bayern for him.

Last edited:

Yannik

I don't think he fits, Barca's opponents won't play a high line that often which Werner could expose. And in tight spaces he is rather limited.

Riordon

I don't think he fits, Barca's opponents won't play a high line that often which Werner could expose. And in tight spaces he is rather limited.

Thats my fear with him. Alternatively there is Sane who is world class and is leaving City. Bayern heavily interested.

Messi983

Agreed.

Thats my fear with him. Alternatively there is Sane who is world class and is leaving City. Bayern heavily interested.

He'll also be coming off a serious injury next summer so I would be wary to pay 100M+ which is what City will be demanding. Getting Sane (or another young LW and not even mentioning Neymar) would also limit Fati's playing time and his chances to succeed at Barça.

Riordon

He'll also be coming off a serious injury next summer so I would be wary to pay 100M+ which is what City will be demanding. Getting Sane (or another young LW and not even mentioning Neymar) would also limit Fati's playing time and his chances to succeed at Barça.

Assuming Dembele will leave, there will be plenty of game time for Fati. I don't want to give him a starting role until he turns 18/19 IMO no matter how good he is. We need a goalscoring LW who is also good 1v1. Sterling, Sane, Mane - these types.

I would play LW-Griezmann-Messi and Fati as sub.

Can see your points regarding Sane.... Maybe Bayern is interested in something like Coutinho + money for Gnabry? The ideal fit for that role IMO.

All this is by the by, at 30m you buy him regardless. Give him a shot. If he is the second coming of Prince Boateng you flog him to the EPL for 60m. It's a no brainer.

He may not help us at home when opponents park the bus, but in away games in the CL (our main flaw) teams won't attack us as much with his pace and finishing ability on the counter.

Home of Barca Fans