Thiago Alcantara

Since we have a trillion United fans here all of a sudden, I'm interested in asking; what would you think of a De Gea-Thiago swap deal? It's doubtfully going to happen, but what would your reaction be?

I have to say I'd be happy. We have a lot of talented midfielders coming through the ranks, but goalkeepers of De Gea's quality? Few and far between.

What would i think of it? not much lol, i suppose our desperate need for a midfielder of Thiagos quality and your need for world class ball playing goalkeeper means theres logic to it, but id be gutted if we lost De gea and wouldnt trade, we took nearly 10 years to replace our great dane, finding a top keeper is very hard these days, De gea is fantastic and still so young with so much improvement to make, wouldnt trade him for anyone and hopefully we wont have to.

RVP20

Since we have a trillion United fans here all of a sudden, I'm interested in asking; what would you think of a De Gea-Thiago swap deal? It's doubtfully going to happen, but what would your reaction be?

I have to say I'd be happy. We have a lot of talented midfielders coming through the ranks, but goalkeepers of De Gea's quality? Few and far between.

I'd say keep Thiago and we'll look elsewhere.. De Gea is for me the best keeper in the premier league last season and is only going to get better. Thanks but no thanks.

Martindn

Yeah i would likely be distraught, one of my favourite players at united, but even more importantly one of our best performers, saved our bacon quite consistently. We would not be able to replace Big dave effectiveley enough to warrant any swap or sale.

Also helps that he was easily the best keeper in the league last season, and nailed on no1 for club and country.

DannyG

IF we have that side id be very happy and confident wed go very close to a lot of titles, the only 2 teams in europe i feel we are clearly inferior to are Barcelona and Bayern Munich, if we could keep that team fit id be very confident wed do well, Chelsea and Mourinhio are a concern though.

Your a spurs fan? what do you make of the Paulinhio link? i think hes quality myself and getting him for 15 million would be great business, your putting together a nice team there, keep Bale and i wouldnt be at all surprised if you pushed City very hard for a top 3 spot next season really wouldnt.
I'm delighted with the Paulinho signing. The problem with that is I think he's too similar to Dembele and it'd be good if we got someone more creative. However I think Holtby will improve and I think we'll keep Bale. Madrid really do piss me off though.
Signing Villa would be great too but if I'm honest I'd prefer Soldado.

The United fans I know wouldn't swap De Gea for Thiago they're in love with De Gea!

I'm delighted with the Paulinho signing. The problem with that is I think he's too similar to Dembele and it'd be good if we got someone more creative. However I think Holtby will improve and I think we'll keep Bale. Madrid really do piss me off though.
Signing Villa would be great too but if I'm honest I'd prefer Soldado.

The United fans I know wouldn't swap De Gea for Thiago they're in love with De Gea!

Paulinhio is very creative, he plays a more restricted role for Brazil as you see in the confederations cup so you dont get to see is full capabilities but for Corinthians hes far more advanced and let of the leash so to speak, he plays as a number 10 for them, and hes got a goal in him as hes shown recently, think hes a great player, scolari calls him the most important player in that Brazil side which is pretty high praise when a certain Neymar is around, considering what city have just spent on a vastly inferior model 15 million for Paulinhio would be brilliant business, amazed its that cheap to be honest.

As for spanish dave, love the bloke, i think a part of it to is us United fans know from experience how hard it is to find a quality keeper, after Schmikes we went through a load of dross like Tiabi, Bosnich, Barthez, Goram, Van Der Gouw (not van der sar!) etc, and its a key position, De Gea for me is going to be the best in the world in the next 2 to 3 years, and hes fantastic distributing the ball from defence, just an all round great keeper, the only player id trade him for is Messi!

Indignado

De Gea is better than Ter Stegen in every possible way.

No, not in every way, he's currently better but ter Stegen has similar potential, one year ago De Gea wasn't even a safe starter at United and now he's considered one of the best if not the best GK in the Premier League so you see how quickly things can change.

Do you think Guardiola was making reference to Thiago with that last part? hes obviously going to know the situation well seeing as his brother is Thiagos agent.

Also heard rumours he has some gentleman's agreement with barcelona whereby he cant/wont attempt to buy any Barcelona players in his first year at Bayern?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Do you think Guardiola was making reference to Thiago with that last part? hes obviously going to know the situation well seeing as his brother is Thiagos agent.

Also heard rumours he has some gentleman's agreement with barcelona whereby he cant/wont attempt to buy any Barcelona players in his first year at Bayern?

Yeah, thats what I thought so too.

Butaan4barca

Thanks for that reply very interesting read, reading that makes me wonder even more why your club went so all out to sign Fabregas when you had such a brilliant talent on the cusp of the team, surely the club must have been aware this would hamper Thiagos development and cause issues? and Barcelona have never struck me as a short sighted galactico vision club, you take great pride in developing these players so if United could have foreseen issues with Thiago surely Barcas helm did to? just seems strange.

As for your description of him, thats exactly why so many United fans are so excited and really want this to happen, we havnt had a player like this in a long time, our midfield is woefully short for a club of our stature, miles behind yours, Munichs, Madrids etc we badly need this type of player, of course respecting that this is a barcelona forum and i absolutely understand why seeing United fans coming on here is probably annoying, i genuinely am not here to cause any argument though, just very interested to get opinions of a player you guys will know a lot more about than myself.

Personally even though it all sounds good from a United perspective i have that nagging feeling of its all too good to be true, United just dont sign midfielders or certainly not Thiago level midfielders, this kid would solve all our problems and then some, hence the desperation of us wanting it to go through, even more so after reading your views on him as a player, glowing praise indeed.

Out of interest was this exactly the situation back in 2011? dont remember anywhere near as much fuss back then but was Thiago close to leaving for the same reasons? think that was the summer you signed Cesc?

Cesc was bought cz we needed a similar player at that time, and thiago was not ready. Well to be honest, there were divided opinions on him, even then. But apparently it did turn out that we needed a player then to fill out gaps left up when messi dropped deep. Some one experienced enough to link with mid, and attack up in the 9 position should there are spaces created in messi marking( when messi drops and his marker follows him). Cesc did seem to be perfect choice.

On thiago, and before this, he wasn't really close to leaving, its just his dad, super smart agent, And pain in nose type, got his son a better deal back then.
Yes you can say, finally some one to fill scholes boots. Too big a task, but the boy has just got it.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It would be extremely foolish for Thiago to go to Bayern. He would be competing with Götze, Müller, Kroos, Robben and perhaps Shaqiri in the midfield. Of course, unless he wants to be the keeper of the watercooler there!

Home of Barca Fans