Thiago Alcantara

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Well we are known for our style of football, aren't we?

Of course there are more pragmatic approaches that can be implemented, but we are meant to play beautiful football.

Xavi will want to bring the right mentality and will have the respect of the players, fans, media and board.

I don't want pragmatic approaches to be the norm; there are also different types of attacking football. To be clear I just want tactical flexibility from a coach, I have to wake up at awkward times to watch us play so the last thing i want is more sleep inducing football eg athletico/juve etc on a regular basis.

Xavi seem to have played different systems in Qatar(yes I know it's Qatar lol but still) so I don't get where this "rigidness" argument is coming from.

From his comments when he was a player? His comments about certain players because he doesn't want to badmouth Barca or any of their players?

Do people believe Xavi want some slow possession based style of play where the ball is circulated sideways 24/7? Have they not watched him play?

His statements recently and in the past, so yeah pretty much.
Not sure if i mentioned it before but we also don't have the players for it to be an effective strategy at this point in time so if he persists with that type of play style he's destined to fail.

As for your last sentence, players don't necessarily make good coaches or analysts.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
What would you guys think about a Thiago - de Jong - Pjanic midfield for us with Riqui, Pedri/Alena, Busquets behind?

soul24rage

What would you guys think about a Thiago - de Jong - Pjanic midfield for us with Riqui, Pedri/Alena, Busquets behind?

For me, the success of that midfield depends on the forward line.

If it's Messi in the false RW, then I don't think the midfield would work as the RCM would have to cover the right wing when Messi moves inside.

If it's Messi in the false 9 role, then I think that midfield could work.

Andresito

Staff member

I think at least one of them would suffer. All three want the ball at their feet, wanting to steer the game.

In a three man midfield you need a guy who's content with passing the ball to the more technical midfielder, like Busi with Xavi/Iniesta and Casemiro with Modric/Kroos.
And if we'd have a guy who does that, I'd rather have his strengths in defence, meaning Thiago, Frenkie and a physical player would be the best.

In your list of midfielders I'd want a Keita/Vidal type of player, even if he'd be a bench player at most.

Xaviniesta

I think at least one of them would suffer. All three want the ball at their feet, wanting to steer the game.

In a three man midfield you need a guy who's content with passing the ball to the more technical midfielder, like Busi with Xavi/Iniesta and Casemiro with Modric/Kroos.
And if we'd have a guy who does that, I'd rather have his strengths in defence, meaning Thiago, Frenkie and a physical player would be the best.

In your list of midfielders I'd want a Keita/Vidal type of player, even if he'd be a bench player at most.

agreed. we need alaba. would be great b2b midfielder. i also don't think thiago is coming back as long as this board is here

my preferred midfield next season, assuming pjanic will return to his roma days and be playing as the creator:

alaba - fdj - pjanic

Rory

I'd much prefer a De Jong -- Partey double pivot with Puig in front of them. But of course now we've signed Pjanic the board think midfield is sorted. I could cry if I hadn't lost all hope of what this board would do years ago. Thiago would be crazy to leave this bayern side if he wants his last few years of prime football to involve winning the champions league. Bayern are possibly the strongest squad in the world atm.

Riordon

I'd much prefer a De Jong -- Partey double pivot with Puig in front of them. But of course now we've signed Pjanic the board think midfield is sorted. I could cry if I hadn't lost all hope of what this board would do years ago. Thiago would be crazy to leave this bayern side if he wants his last few years of prime football to involve winning the champions league. Bayern are possibly the strongest squad in the world atm.

Was just about to write this. If Puig can keep this up, then the only profile we lack in midfield is someone like Partey. We can play Partey-Frenkie-Pjanic, Partey-Frenkie-Puig, Frenkie-Pjanic-Puig etc etc. Honestly all good midfields.

But if someone like Thiago is on the market who is a top 5 midfielder no doubt, its difficult to say no. But profile wise we are probably better off with Partey who is also worldclass.

vuji_31

So sad that every time you imagine barca 11 next year you know that you need to include Suarez,Busqets,Pique and Alba

JohnN

I don't think after this trophy less season things will stay the same. Everyone is a year older and obviously in a worse state.
My hope is that suarez, busi, Vidal and raki will be gone or permabenched. But I would settle for 2 of the 4 as a start..

Home of Barca Fans