Thiago Alcantara

Messi983

Wouldn't be a bad option. Might be a bit of an overkill though unless they can get rid of both Vidal and Rakitic.

Although I'd like to have a player with Vidal's profile in the team.

I might be wrong but I think Matheus could fit that role well.

Not that I think he'll be here next season.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I might be wrong but I think Matheus could fit that role well.

Not that I think he'll be here next season.

He looked good going forward vs Atletico but then for some reason did not play next game.

The non EU player will work against him next season though would think and will be on loan again.

Andresito

Staff member
He looked good going forward vs Atletico but then for some reason did not play next game.

The non EU player will work against him next season though would think and will be on loan again.

A full season as a starter on loan would do him good, like Emerson.

Messi983

Personally I sadly don't expect him to play much for Valladolid for the rest of this season. Sergio Gonzales is trusting his established players and thh I understand him. They are almost safe from the relegation and Ronaldo said recently they don't expect to get Matheus back next season so they don't really have much reasons to play and develop a player they probably won't have next season. If we could prolong his loan for another season then this could change but don't think this is really our priority for now. If he'll eventually return to Valladolid or go on loan to another team I do expect him to play much more next season though.

Anyway, my point was that Matheus could fit profile wise but he needs more experience and being non-EU player would probably be against him too as you've mentioned but with Arthur and Vidal both possibly leaving we would have 3 open non-EU spots. One of those will go to Lautaro but we could potentially fit both Matheus and Emerson into the team next year. Araujo should get a Spanish passport this summer if he'll be kept as a 4th CB.

Thinking more about this I wouldn't mind selling Vidal and Arthur and keep Raki as a backup DM. Ideally FDJ would be a starting DM but we know Busi won't be benched so he'll still play as a CM. I'm not the biggest fan of Pjanić at his age but I think he could still add something to the team and it looks like he's coming. I think he could play in a more advanced role like he did for Roma years ago when he had 10 goals and 10 assists. Something which none of our current midfielders (except potentially Coutinho who is on his way out as well) can come even close to.

I think we could play something like this

FDJ/Matheus - Busi/Raki - Pjanić/Alena/Puig

And then let Raki go after his contract expires in 2021, move FDJ to DM and Busi to the bench. Buy a strong athletic box to box midfielder (unless MF would prove he can play that role) and also replace Alena/Puig with Pedri. Potentially he could stay here next season but I think he would benefit more playing regularly at a club like Betis or Sociedad. Also, Alena and/or Puig should get a full season to show what they can do. I don't think anyone of them would stay longterm but at the same time I also don't expect us to win much until the old core is gone so we should at least see what we have in our youngsters.

Just read an article about a possible comeback of Xavi as coach at Barcelona after a change of presidency in German's Sportbild. I could imagine that this would be a big factor in a Thiago transfer.

When are the elections?

I never was scared about transfer rumours about other clubs but Barca. And with all the turmoil at your club and before Corona that was not really a danger...

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans