Sergio Busquets

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Busquets: "None of teams happy with ref? We just ask same criteria for everyone. That an elbow is yellow, etc. He again didn't have that."

Glad he spoke out.

El Flaco

Few days ago, Busquets had interviews with both Sport and Mundo Deportivo.

Grup 14 merged these two interviews to make a single article.

On the pitch Busquets has always been vital to Barça. But how did you evolve in the dressing room?

The years gone by have given me more experience. I learned from older players to know what to do in every moment from a ‘living together’ point of view too.

But now you’re one of Barça’s captains and that means a lot. Do you feel more important?

I’ve always felt important, being aware of the role I had. It’s not the same role as the one I had when I first came up, being a boy from the B team that had just got here, now I’m third captain. It’s clear that things have changed. The only things that are talked about are the ones which are visible from the outside, but I think we’re doing things right, not just me, the captains and the dressing room in general.

Years go by and when we watch you play we don’t doubt that you’re better with each day. What’s your secret?

I’m very self-critical, maybe too much, and that works for me. I see how the game went, what I did well, what I did bad, in which actions I could have done better… And I think that the day-to-day things are primordial. In your social life you have to try and take care of yourself as best you can, to rest well, to train at full intensity, to learn from your teammates and the coach. Hopefully I can keep improving and growing up and always be one of the pillars of this Barça.

What was the first moment when you started to think you could make it as a professional footballer?

When I was promoted from Juvenil A to Barça B. You go from playing with others your age to playing with people who can be 10 years older than you. It’s the step that tells you if you can make it or not. I didn’t know that everything would go as well as it had, but I had that hope.

Who was the player you looked up to when you weren’t yet a big name in football?

I didn’t have a clear idol, but I did look at the players who could have similar tactical behaviors as I did. Players like Patrick Vieira, later Xavi and also Yaya Touré. I have to say I learned a lot from Yaya.

You’ve had the luck to experience Barça’s best period in history.

Winning is hard, even more so these days. This is a dream that I would never have imagined. We have to keep going and not let this end.

Looking back, from everything you’ve won, could you pick a single favorite moment?

Winning the World Cup with Spain is incredible. Winning a final in extra time, with a few minutes left to go until the penalties… At club level the trebles and the sextuple mean a lot, but I would pick the Champions League we won at Wembley, because of how we won it. And for a teammate like Abidal who went through everything he did, in the end it felt great.

Inexplicably you weren’t selected in the FIFA ideal XI. Is that something you worry about?

On one hand everyone likes to have their work recognized. On the other hand, I know that sometimes these awards are based on popularity more than anything else. A lot of players who had a great year weren’t there, like plenty from our team who won a treble. But it’s also true that those who were selected, except maybe one player who was injured a lot, are great players, for every taste people can have… I’m satisfied with doing great work and the important thing is that at a collective level we won the treble plus two other titles.

The view from the outside is that Busquets keeps as far away as possible from the media spotlight. Why is that?

I’m far away from the media spotlight because I don’t have any social media account and I don’t want to draw attention to myself. In that way I’m very different from the majority of players but I’ve decided this: I prefer to do it well on the pitch and to be recognized by the people who really like and understand football and I’m more than happy with that. I prefer that at the end of the year we win collective titles, the individual ones are a bit to the side.

You mentioned social media. Will you ever make an account?

(Laughs) I’ll think about it, it’s a difficult decision. Ever since I came to the first team I didn’t see it as a necessity. We already have the press, that’s enough. Sometimes social media is used right and other times not as much, so you have to have a balance and know how to do it well.

What conclusion can you draw from the big win against Athletic?

It was a game that left us with a good feeling and we got the very important three points in a game that wasn’t very normal because it was marked by Gorka’s expulsion.

Does it serve you for anything in the preparation for the Cup game?

We know that the Cup game will be different, that in their stadium they’re very intense and that’s it’s going to be a very hard game and we hope to get a good result for the return game

Do you think that Messi will be able to play?

This morning (Monday) he didn’t train because he went to the hospital to have some tests done but hopefully he’ll be able to play on Wednesday because we know how important he is to us, with his ability to unbalance games and everything he gives to us both from an attacking and a defensive point of view. Hopefully he’ll be able to recover before this game.

Luis Suárez could be another absence…

It would be important for him to be able to play because he’s a goal scorer and his movements in attack are very noticeable and from a defensive point of view he’s the first line of pressure.

But he’s suspended. What did you think of his two-game suspension?

I think it was unfair, but it’s the referee’s word and you can’t do anything against it. Hopefully this suspension can be annulled, if not these could be two very important absences that we hope to be able to compensate for between the rest of us.

These absences could be covered in the next games if some winter reinforcements come in. What do you think of Nolito?

Nolito is very good, he’s been having great seasons at Celta, including this one, a very good one. Now he’s injured but he could help us a lot, bring in some unbalancing ability on the wing, like he’s doing at Celta. We know that he knows the club and the system very well because he was here. I don’t know if the deal will get done or not but he’s a very good player.

Another player that could come is Denis Suárez…

Denis can play as an interior or as a false winger, he has great quality and is great in 1 on 1 actions. We know that he’s Barça’s but I don’t know if they’ll be able to recover him now or not, either option would be good.

Were you promised a renewal?

It’s true that the club took that commitment and I suppose that they’ll come through, hopefully as soon as possible. I’m not in a rush because I know that I’m in the best place and this won’t be a problem, but commitments have to be fulfilled and when they can, they will do it, I’m sure.

So the fans can be calm knowing that Sergio isn’t going anywhere?

I’m feeling great and I know that I don’t want to leave. Unless something weird happens I’d like to finish my career here. As long as I can play at a good level and I feel valued by the club and by the fans, my teammates and the staff, I won’t go anywhere.

But a lot of big clubs want you...

If there are clubs interested in me then that’s something to be grateful for and I suppose it’s because things are being done right and everyone likes it.

If at an individual level you can keep playing as well as you are right now and the collective level stays constant, could you win the Champions League this season too?

It’s clear that since no one has managed to win it two years in a row it’s very difficult, but we’ll try, even though we’re just in the round of 16 right now. Our challenge is to win all the three trophies, but we’re going step by step because there a lot of months to go until the trophies are decided.

Last question. You’re going to be a father soon. How will that change your life?

I hope that from a football point of view it won’t change anything. At a personal level it might. Won’t change the life I live a lot since I spend a lot of time at home already. But it’s true that from that moment the priority will be him.

Reference

Galning

Another game where Busi isn't his epic self and the team turns to shite. At times we didn't see the ball for 15 minutes against freaking Malaga. He's the last player I'd start worrying over though.

J

Jamie Cal

Absolutely vital for the end of the year that we rest him where we can. It's shown a bit over the last month, but hugely today.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Good match by Busi.

d8afb371142666247838975866_700wa_0.gif

Home of Barca Fans