Sergio Busquets

He deserves an apology from the so called "Barça fans" specially in his last years here, he was so injustifiably slandered for things outside of his control.

Gnidrologist

He wasn't slandered at all. His decline started way before Xavi under several different coaches and just got worse. Just because we currently don't have a DM at all, doesn't mean we're missing the old man.

Windhook

Looking back at it I don't think there was a big decline with Busquets. Football got quicker at some point in 2010's. He was always slow but in balanced formation he was extremely effective. Once "park the bus" tactic was introduced he became obsolete. Quick counters, no way for slow DM to cover ground.

JohnN

he helped us with the title last season but apart from that should have been properly replaced before messi left

khaled_a_d

I am really interested to know the reason behind not bringing a DM in 2022 tbh.
Was Xavi dismissive of other options? did the board made it feels we will be able to spend big in 2023?
Something doesn't add up to this foolishness IMO

JamDav1982

I am really interested to know the reason behind not bringing a DM in 2022 tbh.
Was Xavi dismissive of other options? did the board made it feels we will be able to spend big in 2023?
Something doesn't add up to this foolishness IMO
Because Xavi thought Busquets would play on and on and didnt plan for it.

Last summer I would guess they wanted Zubimendi who wouldnt leave and then decided to wait a year and try again as no obvious alternative.

Xavi then over rated Romeu and what could provide.

khaled_a_d

Because Xavi thought Busquets would play on and on and didnt plan for it.

Last summer I would guess they wanted Zubimendi who wouldnt leave and then decided to wait a year and try again as no obvious alternative.

Xavi then over rated Romeu and what could provide.

Don't know, they are very close friends (both admit it) and I don't think Busquets didn't tell him it was a possibility that he will leave in 2023. There were even rumours that Busquets told the club in 2022 that he is considering leaving but we asked him to stay.
Xavi must have known that this was a possibility, just like it was with him at same age, I doubt he was that stupid tbh.
I think he might have thought that we would have been able to make another lever and get Zubimendi

JohnN

if ge saw Romeu play and thought he would be a good replacement for Busi, I seriously question his sanity.

JamDav1982

Don't know, they are very close friends (both admit it) and I don't think Busquets didn't tell him it was a possibility that he will leave in 2023. There were even rumours that Busquets told the club in 2022 that he is considering leaving but we asked him to stay.
Xavi must have known that this was a possibility, just like it was with him at same age, I doubt he was that stupid tbh.
I think he might have thought that we would have been able to make another lever and get Zubimendi

I would bet Xavi thought he would play on and on.

JamDav1982

They didnt want to sign a young DM as a gamble.. names mentioned were Varela etc.

But instead Xavi spent 6 months on the phone to an injured 32 year old CB when had three CBs there already and board offering him 9m a season.

Absolutely bizarre.

Home of Barca Fans