Sergio Busquets

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
We'll have to see after a few years. I mean, look what he has been through in the past year. From bloody atletic player to replacement of Yaya in the Champions League final (which is the best team in the biggest club game) + more or less a fixed cap collector for Spain (which is the best country in the world at this moment).

He is only 21. If he can confirm this year, the hardest year, without a setback that his debut was no one hit wonder lucky shot, he might just do anything.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
What's wrong with backing him to become a world class defensive midfielder? I don't understand the urge for him to change his game and replace Xavi when he has all the tools to master the position he's in at the moment and become one of the best in the business. As for the claim that Xavi and Iniesta started out at DM; did they? I can recall Frank playing Iniesta as a DM on a few occasions when he was jerking Don Andrés around and using him as a utility man but I don't think it's accurate to claim that either of Xaviesta (© Meta) started as a DM, I prepare to be corrected on Xavi though as my memory of those years is somewhat hazy nowadays!!!

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
I don't know, I just he might just anything as in: I damn rate him highly. He can do anything if he continues like that.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
He has massive potential, that's for sure and as ever it's a joy watching a player like him develop as a footballer. He's gone from zero to treble winner and national team regular within a year.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
why the fuck is your font changing all the time...

i rated busquets from the first time that i saw him play. he has a game intelligence that is really really needed in a modern dm... not the claude makelele one.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
It changed at first by accident because I'd C&P'd the copyright symbol from MS Word, after that I changed the font just for kicks :p Annoying, isn't it? :ninja_hide:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
The midfielder started out in defence for Barça B and before that the club’s youth teams. But as he gained in first team experience, he was also moved into a more attacking role- Iniesta's profile from official website. I hope that rings a bell *coughCojkoKacarcough*

Except in Xavi's profile, all others(Pep, Iniesta,Cesc) arementioned that they started as Volante(defensive mid-fielder or a holding mid-fielder)

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
sunny is correct, xavi began his career as a deep-lying playmaker. he is a volante at heart. frank and pep have just moved him further up the pitch so he can be deadly in the final third (because of the way we play, the system, we don't need someone back there to ensure we play that way).

iniesta was never a DM, though.

busquets is a DM, however. he started as a striker and it was pep who moved him back. he'll become a ball-playing DM, like yaya or xabi, but he's too good at the defensive part of the game to be moved forward IMO.

come 2010, assuming senna is still injured (let's face it his body is giving up)

casillas
ramos, piqué, puyol, capdevilla
xavi, busquets
iniesta, silva
villa, torres

should be spain's first XI, imo. busquets is a better DM than xabi (who isn't up to the task as many recent senna-less games have shown. then busquets gets moved back there as the DM hey presto, spain win 5-0!)

sammy

Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite
sunny is correct, xavi began his career as a deep-lying playmaker. he is a volante at heart. frank and pep have just moved him further up the pitch so he can be deadly in the final third (because of the way we play, the system, we don't need someone back there to ensure we play that way).

iniesta was never a DM, though.

busquets is a DM, however. he started as a striker and it was pep who moved him back. he'll become a ball-playing DM, like yaya or xabi, but he's too good at the defensive part of the game to be moved forward IMO.

come 2010, assuming senna is still injured (let's face it his body is giving up)

casillas
ramos, piqué, puyol, capdevilla
xavi, busquets
iniesta, silva
villa, torres

should be spain's first XI, imo. busquets is a better DM than xabi (who isn't up to the task as many recent senna-less games have shown. then busquets gets moved back there as the DM hey presto, spain win 5-0!)

That's a deadly squad :D

veryfatchocobo

Meta, I agree with you over 9000% that Xabi Alonso isn't fit to be a lone DM for Spain. Xabi Alonso helps a lot when Senna is with him, but when he's the DM, teams tend to score. Look what happened in the Confed Cup against the US. His FK for 3rd place was nice though.

Home of Barca Fans