Samuel Umtiti

BarçaBarça

Now, what I wonder is.

Will we be signing another CB or is this it?

I will wait and see him confirmed before thinking about that, but I hope so (maybe a loan-out?).
Maybe it depends on his price if we get him for 25-30M. another 10-15M.-signing would make sense, and should be possible.

We need that MSN sub. He doesn't have to be young. In fact we need someone experienced to provide instant results with kind of limited playing time.

Indeed. A long term replacement can wait, and would in fact be counter productive at the moment. By the time a young forward has a chance of getting into the starting XI he'll be 25.

Jombi

Indeed. A long term replacement can wait, and would in fact be counter productive at the moment. By the time a young forward has a chance of getting into the starting XI he'll be 25.

We tried the "instant results" route with Arda and Vidal. That proved an epic failure. We can sign younger ones, no problem. Might be easier to teach young ones new tricks as well.

We tried the "instant results" route with Arda and Vidal. That proved an epic failure. We can sign younger ones, no problem. Might be easier to teach young ones new tricks as well.

The problem with Arda was the insane price we paid for him. Plus our midfield has a bigger problem with age than our front line does, not to mention that Rakitic and even Iniesta aren't as unbenchable as MSN. When it comes to midfield, we probably do need a younger signing (i.e. Pogba). When it comes to the front line, it's not time for that yet. A young midfield signing would not need to wait 5 years to make the starting XI (especially if it's someone like Pogba, who'd get into the starting XI immediately). A young forward signing would.

Different needs for different situations. We need a long term starter at RB, CB and midfield to replace Alves and eventually Masch and Iniesta. For the front line all we need atm is someone who can rest MSN. No use paying 70m for a young superstar forward to sit on the bench for 3-5 seasons and be sold for half the price he was bought for. Especially when there are other parts of the team that are aging. A cheap older backup (key word there is cheap so no Gameiro for 40m) would do just fine.

Last edited:

Jombi

The problem with Arda was the insane price we paid for him. Plus our midfield has a bigger problem with age than our front line does, not to mention that Rakitic and even Iniesta aren't as unbenchable as MSN. When it comes to midfield, we probably do need a younger signing (i.e. Pogba). When it comes to the front line, it's not time for that yet. A young midfield signing would not need to wait 5 years to make the starting XI (especially if it's someone like Pogba, who'd get into the starting XI immediately). A young forward signing would.

Different needs for different situations. We need a long term starter at RB, CB and midfield to replace Alves and eventually Masch and Iniesta. For the front line all we need atm is someone who can rest MSN. No use paying 70m for a young superstar forward to sit on the bench for 3-5 seasons and be sold for half the price he was bought for. Especially when there are other parts of the team that are aging. A cheap older backup (key word there is cheap so no Gameiro for 40m) would do just fine.

I see where you're coming from but the arguments used for signing Arda and Vidal were instant impact (older, La Liga experience). They didnt have any impact at all.

5 years waiting time for a change of front line? Nah, I doubt that very much. With age comes injuries and Suarez will be 30 in half a year. Look how Raul, Van Persie, Torres and countless others went downhill fast. Gabriel Jesus is rumoured to have a special 24m euros release clause if Barca and a couple of other top clubs come knocking. He can play all 3 positions up front, been the revelation of the season in 2016 in Brazil. Bayern is pushing for a move. Why shouldnt we?

xXKonan

CkTZoN3WkAAmz0u.jpg

Jombi

I'll go out on a limb and say we have pretty much signed Umtiti. I think this might be the strongest rumours so far this silly season. Although Ben Arfa was pretty strong as well but this is more credible IMO. I hope he never gets to play in the Euros. Its bad enough that he was called up for France. The last thing we need is even more hype and increase of his price.

Last edited:

xXKonan

I'll go out on a limb and say we have signed Umtiti. I think this might be the strongest rumours so far this silly season. Although Ben Arfa was pretty strong as well but this is more credible IMO.
I trust Roger Saperas from Rac1 and Fernando Polo from MD a lot on this. Both are Very Reliable Journalists and don't post anything unless they are really sure of it.

I mean it's weird to see "Reliable" and MD in one Sentence but guys like Miguel Rico and Polo are very Reliable from them. Polo's original article a day ago talked about how the Board wasn't happy about the original rumor because they wanted to keep it under wraps, and are working on a deal and it was going well to bring him here. After Polo's article went up, L'equipe had Info we are going to have a Bid of 25 million accepted for him and it supported Polo's Information he got.

and today Roger Saperas, had gotten info himself that we are close to signing him. and obviously Polo himself got some info again today that He's pretty much coming to Barca. I noticed SPORT stopped with the Denials since this stuff came to light. :lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Quick Twitter search and it seems like he's highly rated by the France supporters with who thinks he's up there with their best CBs, by the use of Google Translate ofc lol.

Sounds very good though.

I hope he starts for France in the Euro along with Kos, but I guess Deschamps being him, he'll start Rami instead(who was quite bad vs Cameroon).

Last edited:

xXKonan

I seen a lot of Abidal comparisons with Umtiti.

Mostly from the fact both played at Lyon and both could play at CB and LB. But for me going by the Videos I see him as the Ideal Mascherano, Successor more than anything. With Masche sticking around (Seems likely) Umtiti can learn a lot from him.

I see where you're coming from but the arguments used for signing Arda and Vidal were instant impact (older, La Liga experience). They didnt have any impact at all.

5 years waiting time for a change of front line? Nah, I doubt that very much. With age comes injuries and Suarez will be 30 in half a year. Look how Raul, Van Persie, Torres and countless others went downhill fast. Gabriel Jesus is rumoured to have a special 24m euros release clause if Barca and a couple of other top clubs come knocking. He can play all 3 positions up front, been the revelation of the season in 2016 in Brazil. Bayern is pushing for a move. Why shouldnt we?

Torres' decline had little to do with age (he was 27 when he joined Chelsea). I don't see Messi or Suarez's spots being taken for at least the next 3 seasons unless Messi is moved to midfield full time. Messi will most likely be used very heavily even after that, perhaps as a midfielder. 3 seasons is a lot of time for a young player to sit on the bench. Neymar will stay where he is for 6 more seasons at the very least unless he does a Ronaldinho.

Really don't see the need to splash on a young forward right now. Maybe next year. A forward to back up MSN, sure, but he doesn't have to be young. Not right now.

Iniesta and Masch are 32 and Alves is gone. Those are the areas of the team where we need to look at long term replacements.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans