Ronaldinho Gaucho

Evil

Shabazz
I´m not ignoring I look at both. And when I look at both, I see that he has given much more to the club in his first 3 years than he has done harm in his last 2.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Of course, that's beyond doubt, but if you're looking at a player's place amongst the greats of greats then you have to take that decline into account. I'm not disputing for a second that he did wonderful things with Barça but I'm not comfortable with putting him alongside the greatest names in Barça's history.

E

Esteve

Of course, that's beyond doubt, but if you're looking at a player's place amongst the greats of greats then you have to take that decline into account. I'm not disputing for a second that he did wonderful things with Barça but I'm not comfortable with putting him alongside the greatest names in Barça's history.

Sorry but I guess we just have different opinions on this subject. I understand where you're coming from regarding his last two years at the club but seeing as we've only won the European Cup twice & the part he played in winning it in 2006, he must, in my opinion be considered when listing some of the greatest players in the club's history. Not to mention the two La Liga titles that were won during his spell here & his individual honours (FIFA World Player of the Year X2, Ballon D'or to name a few)

Last edited:

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Obviously we have different opinions, I don't see Barça as being defined by the European cup otherwise you dismiss the first 90 years of our history. Ronaldinho did a huge amount for us and I don't want to get too far into this as I've done this topic to death on other forums but for me his legacy is stained and he was a fly by night success. Truly great players maintain success over many seasons, Ronnie came and went too fast but there's no question he left his mark in a spectacular fashion.

E

Esteve

Obviously we have different opinions, I don't see Barça as being defined by the European cup otherwise you dismiss the first 90 years of our history. Ronaldinho did a huge amount for us and I don't want to get too far into this as I've done this topic to death on other forums but for me his legacy is stained and he was a fly by night success. Truly great players maintain success over many seasons, Ronnie came and went too fast but there's no question he left his mark in a spectacular fashion.

Nor do I, but the fact that he lead the club to the 2006 victory cannot be ignored, fair enough, you're more than entitled to your own opinion mate :smile: I think he has to be listed as one of the greatest/most talented players ever to play for the club but maybe not one of those who has served the club the most...It seriously is all a matter of opinion.

Last edited:

Evil

Shabazz
People can see a glass as half empty, and others see it as half full. He wasn't perfect, but definatley up there with the legends. Like STO said, it's a matter of opinion.

E

Esteve

So it's settled - Matter of opinion :lol:

Last edited:

MJ BarcaFan

MJ - I realise you are a big fan of Ronaldinho but I think you underestimate the ability of cules to dwell on the negative. For many the two terrible seasons that Ronnie left after are enough to cloud the memory of the three great years he gave us before, nobody is ungrateful for what he did give us and he was given all the appreciation that the crowd could give during his good years but when it comes to a place in the history books the good is always weighed against the bad and ronnie's failure to fulfill his full potential and his failure to establish what Americans would call a "dynasty" with Barça will be held against him by many diehard fans for the next few years at least. From a personal perspective I loved what he gave us and he has given me many of my best footballing memories but something always sticks in my throat when I come to talk about Ronnie because he lost the desire to give everything to the club. Players like Cruyff, Kubala, Pep, Luis Enrique, Stoichkov et al didn't have that slow death.

CA, if you choose to see the negative side, then it's your choice. But trust me, it's not healthy! Nobody is justifying Ronnie's actions in his last 2 yrs with Barca... but truth to tell it's just his last yr as a Barca player that things turned sour. His penultimate year was still fruitful having ended the season as the Team's top scorer. There were just too many factors why that particular season (2006-07) went against Barcelona. Such as injuries to Messi and Eto'o earlier that season, Rijkaard's inability to control the team, team strategy and tactics etc. Ronnie was the only one who carried Barca on his shoulder. But did Ronnie receive any rewards then? And by rewards I mean just a "tap in his shoulder." But there's none. What Ronnie got was an incessant attacks from the media which I would think sanctioned by the Club officials. Can you just imagine the countless disparaging articles against Ronnie? Ronnie is not a machine, he is just human like the rest of us. Do you think such pressures esp. by the Club will bound not to take its tool? Pls put yourself in Ronnie's place and try to imagine that scenario. Maybe if Laporta treated Ronnie as an important player... who knows? Barca was on cruise to win its 3rd consecutive Liga title when things went terribly wrong. And many of us made Ronnie the convenient scapegoat. The magician no more! To be fair, I think there is just 2 sides to every coin. We always hear the side of FC Barcelona but how about Ronnie's side? We never heard about it ...

And I bet you that Ronaldinho will become Barca's Legend, this I can be sure of bec. Ronnie will be judged by history. As the saying goes, it's not winning that counts but HOW you play the game! It's the quality rather than the quantity for me every time!

Last edited:

R10(FCB)

Crazy
Mary Jane this is very very very good post, i totaly agree with you. Like Maz said (about V.V.) people like to criticize, but when something is good that isn't anything special, it's "usual".

Evil

Shabazz
Agreed with STO...

and Evil NO ONE is perfect !

That´s what I´ve been trying to say for the past 2 years on all Barca forums :p I finally came to the conclusion that some people just simply hate his guts .. so I'll just keep my opinion to myself lol.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I like to remember the best. I used to hate Frank while he was our manager. As soon as he left I decided to praise him for all the good things he brought us.
Having said that I think that Ronaldinho could have made a dynasty as CA suggested, if only he was a bit more professional in his final 2 seasons.
It`s hard to stay on top I guess and it takes all kind of non-footballing skills and mentality to keep yourself focused and motivated.

Home of Barca Fans