Ronald Koeman

serghei

Get rid of Suarez, Rakitic, Vidal straight away.

Move Pique and Alba on the bench and see what their response is.

We need to give some games to Pedri to see if he is not a great talent that can deliver right away. And then loan him if he's not a standout very fast.

Trouble with that formation is it does not really lend itself to a posession game and gets torn up by teams with top full backs bombing on.

Need to get back to a functioning 433/4231 as a starting point.

Also does not get best out of FDJ who the midfield should be built around.

Meant it as a classic 4-3-3.

Batistuta9

I'm pretty sure he used to play 4-2-3-1 with Holland to get the best out of FDJ. Wonder if he'll try to do the same here.

Devils

We are dead if Alba and Semedo are our fullbacks next season. Completely and totally dead.

Honestly, just forfeit the season if that happens.

serghei

Better than Busi/Raki and Vidal midfield. We can't fix every hole. We have too many spots to fix.

Yea, rather fix the holes with quality players in stages then try to fix everything on the cheap and waste more money in the end. Unless you find little gold mines like an Alphonso Davies, every talented player that is not a star will still cost you about 25m. at the minimum, maybe even more.

BarcaOG

Banned
Getting a new coach is only part of the solution. We could have SAF come in and nothing would change unless half the squad left, Bartomeu resigned, and we made 4-5 GOOD signings.

What I fear the most is that Setien's sacking will be pointed to as evidence that 'the club is doing something'. It solves nothing. We need a lot more than that.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
Koeman + Shcreuder
Van De Beek (23) CM/CAM 25-30m
Eric Garcia (19) CB/RB 15m or free transfer in 06-21
Malang Sarr (21) CB/LB free transfer

If we finalize these deals in the next two weeks it would be great start.

We can then focus on selling players and the more the expensive transfers.

Devils

Koeman + Shcreuder
Van De Beek (23) CM/CAM 25-30m
Eric Garcia (19) CB/RB 15m or free transfer in 06-21
Malang Sarr (21) CB/LB free transfer

If we finalize these deals in the next two weeks it would be great start.

We can then focus on selling players and the more the expensive transfers.

I doubt Koeman agreed ditch Dutch NT to come to this disaster without some very strong assurances from Barto. I expect a lot of activity in the next few weeks.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
I wonder how much flexibility we get from the relaxation of the financial fair play due to Covid-19?

2020 year will be coupled with the 2021. Hope we get creative and utilize this to our advantage.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
This season it really doesn't matter whatsoever how well he does in Liga or CL. What really matters is whether he makes key decisions about the future of this team moving forward.

He needs to first establish that the Amigos are out the door. Sell who you can and for the ones we can't, they become veteran bench cheerleaders.

Then, give at least a skeleton idea of team structure that Barca should establish going forward. FDJ becomes the spine of the midfield and Busquets is gone. Also establish the precedent of trusting Ansu and Puig and the roles that they will hold in the team. Even potentially show Barca how a good double pivot can look like.

This idea that "double pivot is slow for 2 big statues" is outdated as hell. Liverpool, Bayern under Flick, France, 18/19 Ajax, Holland all use a mobile double pivot sort of setup. FDJ with Van de Beek being a high energy Box-to-Box support player next to him can easily mirror this modern meta. Puig ahead of them will also be a relentless dog with his pressing and all 3 players in the midfield are good for 10-11km per game at least. A fluid 4-2-3-1 is THE current meta and Barca have been fools to be so out of the loop on tactical trends.

If Koeman can establish these precedents then I don't care how sloppy we look with the growing pains of a new team. Future coaches whether it be Xavi or Pep or whoever need to know how to use FDJ correctly and if Koeman can trigger a breakout season for FDJ it will become undeniable to see the role he is made for. He is not the next Iniesta and never will be.

Once we truly give him the keys to the midfield the team will start looking way different from top to bottom.

JohnN

1819554_FC_Barcelona.jpg

This formation and personnel could actually accommodate Messi in high pressure games. We anyway don't have a striker.
Only problem are those left back and right back positions. We need to find replacements for Alba and Semedo at some point, but I do agree they are 2nd tier problems in the grand scheme of things.

Busi and Roberto to be used only on easier matches. Griezmann could also replace Messi for those matches too.

malvolio

We are dead if Alba and Semedo are our fullbacks next season. Completely and totally dead.

Honestly, just forfeit the season if that happens.

still have to get rid of firpo and roberto. as they are not good enough also. so alba surely will not move(based on his contract length) ans semedo could be traded for another bum a la cancelo.

main issue i see is with centerbacks and attackers. seeing fantasy line-ups with the likes of dembele, fati, trincao and griezmann is just depressing. those 4 can barely get to 20 goals a season combined, for various reasons.

Messi983

I'm pretty sure he used to play 4-2-3-1 with Holland to get the best out of FDJ. Wonder if he'll try to do the same here.

Problem is we don't really have anyone to play with FDJ in a double pivot. Busi should be a no go. Pjanić maybe could work there (as a deep lying playmaker with FDJ moving around more) but we would still struggle defensively, mostly because Messi in a 4-2-3-1 would be an AMC. We've struggled with 3 or even 4 (at least on paper) midfielders covering for his lack of workrate, would be even worse if there would be just two players covering for him. Now obviously replacing Suarez and Busi (which should be a priority if we want to establish any kind of defensive stability) with two pairs of fresher legs would be helpful but still don't know if enough.

That's why I'd really like to go after a young athletic midfielder like Camavinga but we can't afford him now.

Home of Barca Fans