Ronald Koeman

Andrew M

Exactly.

Expect 0 titles. Not a lot of pressure on him. He has leeway to make bold changes. No one sane enough expect us to win the Liga or CL. He is in a way smart to come now when the expectations are at the lowest point in the last 15 years.

I don't think we should have no expectations. There should always be a degree of pressure, regardless of how poor we are right now

JohnN

I don't think we should have no expectations. There should always be a degree of pressure, regardless of how poor we are right now

We should have expectations summed up to this:
Play youngsters
Run more than 110km per match
Fix the defensive clusterfuck
Get top 4 spot in LL for cl qualification
Avoid 3 plus goal CL humiliation
Get to top 16 in cl
Greatly diminished role for remaining seniors

There it is.

malvolio

there is no such thing as no expectations at barca or real. you might get a pass in the second season if you win something in the first. otherwise you get the sack.

Andrew M

We should have expectations summed up to this:
Play youngsters
Run more than 110km per match
Fix the defensive clusterfuck
Get top 4 spot in LL for cl qualification
Avoid 3 plus goal CL humiliation
Get to top 16 in cl
Greatly diminished role for remaining seniors

There it is.

In my opinion that sets the bar too low. I'm more than willing to accept some short term pain for long term gain, but it should be minimum 1/4s for CL and no lower than 2nd place in La Liga

Marshall D Teach

He's probably gone next year anyway. His job as I see it is to make his successor's job easier.

I think if he gets a second season that's when he needs to be competing for La Liga.

So his job this season is to prepare the team for next season.

JohnN

In my opinion that sets the bar too low. I'm more than willing to accept some short term pain for long term gain, but it should be minimum 1/4s for CL and no lower than 2nd place in La Liga

I am not sure it would be realistic. Perhaps I am to pessimistic about the possible improvement.

khaled_a_d

It isn't just about results in such case.
For example, 3rd in Liga and 1/8 QF exit while building a young promising team is good.
But, if we are 2nd in Liga but with the youth not being proving a hope for future, no plan in the horizon he should be sacked.
That is how it goes with rebuild.

JohnN

For example, 3rd in Liga and 1/8 QF exit while building a young promising team is good.
But, if we are 2nd in Liga but with the youth not being proving a hope for future, no plan in the horizon he should be sacked.

Exactly. My hypothetical goals are under the condition we massively rebuild and use youngsters. If we see the same players again, I will not waste my time again watching them drag their asses.

Andrew M

Yes I broadly agree with you, but I still feel we shouldn't finish below 2nd in La Liga. Going out in the last 16 of the CL will always be failure for Barca imo

khaled_a_d

Yes I broadly agree with you, but I still feel we shouldn't finish below 2nd in La Liga. Going out in the last 16 of the CL will always be failure for Barca imo

It will be a bitter pill to swallow.
CL will depend a lot on draw, if we get a Napoli level of team it will be bad to lose against them. If we finish 2nd in group stage (with Juve/City for example finishing first) and get Bayern/Liver then it is understandable.
It is really broad argument with CL

serghei

I agree with Khaled here.

There needs to be some broad obligatory targets in terms of results. For example, he can't drop lower than 3rd in La Liga. Reconstruction or not, you can't have more than Madrid and Atletico finish ahead of you.

And you have to get out of the group stages in CL. Here, depending on the draw, you could expect quarters or not. Semis is nearly impossible without getting very lucky.

Those would be his obligatory targets.

But the main criteria is how the team plays and how we will fix the current big flaws of the team, which are:

- too many old players in the first 11
- lowest work-rate in any top side in Europe
- least amount of cohesion in our tactics

In other words, he needs to play young players, we need to work harder on the field, and we need to have a clear way of playing where everybody contributes according to his role.

Last edited:

serghei

1819554_FC_Barcelona.jpg

FinBarcelonafan

I guess Griez would be sub for Messi. We need new CB. Garcia? Then also new RB... Done with Semedo and Roberto

Also I wish we had some more physical option for Busi. Someone who add some legs to this team if needed or goal scoring.

Otherwise I like the lineup!

JamDav1982

Trouble with that formation is it does not really lend itself to a posession game and gets torn up by teams with top full backs bombing on.

Need to get back to a functioning 433/4231 as a starting point.

Also does not get best out of FDJ who the midfield should be built around.

Home of Barca Fans