Ronald Koeman

freetocan

Last year, Barca still would had not lost the title in La Liga if the referees and VAR would have been correct. Just remeber in how many matches after Covid, RM won with the help of referee and/ or VAR system. It was a clear steal. Many controversial penalties were given to RM and even he they played bad in some matches the referee were on thei side. It seemed that somebody there in Spanish Federation wanted that RM to win the title. Hopefully, it will not happen again this year. But, sadly the most recent example was in the Classico match when RM got an very easy penalty and was blindly to give us not one but two penalties.

malvolio

Barca had more pressing than RM and we still deservingly lost the league to them.
The coach and tactics are important, but you need the personal to do it

nah, it's all about the flavor of the month/year in here.

goretzka pumping iron on instagram, posing in his underwear. that's how you win stuff.

Birdy

Barca had more pressing than RM and we still deservingly lost the league to them.
The coach and tactics are important, but you need the personal to do it

I don't see that much difference in our pressing last year compared to them, and the graph below confirms it:
N4zD1XCKhVIyNm7bl2fK557oJ5owABl36KUfhubIeN0.jpg
https://external-preview.redd.it/N4zD1XCKhVIyNm7bl2fK557oJ5owABl36KUfhubIeN0.jpg?auto=webp&554558af

We were both shit at pressing.
Pressing is the most important component of tactics in modern football. You cannot talk about tactics without talking about that

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I don't see that much difference in our pressing last year compared to them, and the graph below confirms it:
N4zD1XCKhVIyNm7bl2fK557oJ5owABl36KUfhubIeN0.jpg
https://external-preview.redd.it/N4zD1XCKhVIyNm7bl2fK557oJ5owABl36KUfhubIeN0.jpg?auto=webp&554558af

We were both shit at pressing.
Pressing is the most important component of tactics in modern football. You cannot talk about tactics without talking about that

1-Your link doesn't work
2-The photo posted 2 pages ago by Andresito confirms what I was saying, we were pressing much more than RM and they were still the better team. Teams like Chelsea, Lyon,Milan,Manu among others were better than RM in pressing too and all were inferior teams.

Pressing is important indeed, but it isn't about just the effort, that is a shallow way to talk about it.
I've said it 100 times, to press you need speed to play highline while forcing opponent to play down the pitch, you do that and you make your team more compact and you create numerical advantage.
If we lack speed in attack, teams has no reason to sit back (if they are good) because they have no problem dealing with our counters. This what Seville did to us this season.
OTOH, if we are slow in the back, teams will enjoy sitting back while playing on the counter, teams like Getafe & Betis exposed defense doing so.
Liverpool and Bayern have/had both of them and that is why they are the best teams in the world past 2 years.
In other words pressing is the best tactics when you have the team for it, but it isn't universally better for each team.

Birdy

1-Your link doesn't work
2-The photo posted 2 pages ago by Andresito confirms what I was saying, we were pressing much more than RM and they were still the better team. Teams like Chelsea, Lyon,Milan,Manu among others were better than RM in pressing too and all were inferior teams.

Pressing is important indeed, but it isn't about just the effort, that is a shallow way to talk about it.
I've said it 100 times, to press you need speed to play highline while forcing opponent to play down the pitch, you do that and you make your team more compact and you create numerical advantage.
If we lack speed in attack, teams has no reason to sit back (if they are good) because they have no problem dealing with our counters. This what Seville did to us this season.
OTOH, if we are slow in the back, teams will enjoy sitting back while playing on the counter, teams like Getafe & Betis exposed defense doing so.
Liverpool and Bayern have/had both of them and that is why they are the best teams in the world past 2 years.
In other words pressing is the best tactics when you have the team for it, but it isn't universally better for each team.

Sorry, the link is long and the site here breaks it short incorrectly:
Here it is:
EcLEi-NUMAACdCU

It is more informative in that it includes success of pressing, and how much of it happens in the final third.
It more accurately reflects how bad both RM and Barca were (in particular both were not pressing at all close to the final third), whereas the other one flatters us a bit.

It is also interesting to see in the graph how LaLiga teams (red) had declined, they are unable to press intensively, high, and successfully, Bundesliga teams fare much better nowadays in that department.
I would also like to see stats from this season (20/21) because I believe we have already improved a bit in that department under Koeman.

About the rest, I agree. Definetely without compactness, high line, and speed, it will fall apart.
But that being said, I don't think the argument 'the coach adapts tactics according to personnel' is true. At least for good coaches.
It is rather that the coaches motivates a squad towards certain tactical approach, teaches it, trains on it for some time until it becomes ingrained.
From then on, he can assess whether members of the squad need to be improved.

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

Here it is:
EcLEi-NUMAACdCU

It is more informative in that it includes success of pressing, and how much of it happens in the final third.
It more accurately reflects how bad both RM and Barca were (in particular both were not pressing at all close to the final third), whereas the other one flatters us a bit.

It is also interesting to see in the graph how LaLiga teams (red) had declined, they are unable to press intensively, high, and successfully, Bundesliga teams fare much better nowadays in that department.
I would also like to see stats from this season (20/21) because I believe we have already improved a bit in that department under Koeman.

About the rest, I agree. Definetely without compactness, high line, and speed, it will fall apart.
But that being said, I don't think the argument 'the coach adapts tactics according to personnel' is true. At least for good coaches.
It is rather that the coaches motivates a squad towards certain tactical approach, teaches it, trains on it for some time until it becomes ingrained.

:goodpost::goodpost:

FinBarcelonafan

Here it is:
EcLEi-NUMAACdCU

Yes, this pic makes way more sense. We rarely steal the ball back. Suarez and Messi we didn't have any pressure from the top.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Its simple yall. Go back and watch 08-09 and there are three clear things we lack:

1. QUICK ball movement. Its not about how fast the players physically are (see the Trincao thread :rolleyes:)
Its all about the speed of which the ball moves. For too long our ball movement has been pedestrian. Koeman is improving this a bit but its still a key thing missing in our play.

2. Pressing. Yall are onto this already and I think its interesting to see how much the Bundesliga utilizes high pressing after Pep.

3. Penetrative passing that attacks space. It pains me to see teams try play a high line against us and us not be able to punish that. The only players we have that can split a defense with a pass and play a forward in behind is Messi, Pjanic and Riqui Puig. The 4231 isnt going to make this better and it seems like Koeman is doing a similar tactic to Lucho: rely more on the front 4 to be the main creative thrust of the team, rather than the midfield.

While he isnt necessarily the exact sort of profile Id prefer here, I will give Koeman credit and its off to a decent start. Ignoring the results, the overall play of the team is the best we have had since Lucho. I will be surprised if we win anything, outside of maybe La Liga. I think the lack of a 9, the fact that Pique, Busi and Roberto are still starting will keep us from being serious. But Koeman isnt doing a bad job, just feel like as a club, we have to work on our system so we have these three aspects of our play back.

Last edited:

jairzinho

Koeman walking a thin line but he only has himself to blame tbh. He knew what he was getting into so if he gets the axe that?s on him.

George_Costanza

I told you guys he is not good. He is just another EV if not worse. At least EV had a younger and motivated Messi. I feel sorry for Cowman.

Not expecting much this season but I hope we can make final 4.

Home of Barca Fans