Romelu Lukaku

Icarium

Lifestealer
Lukaku to United is official now. 75+15+Rooney. That is pounds that too. Probably the most expensive player. He is hardly worth 60M. Crazy market. We can't compete with these clubs anymore.

Martindn

Pogba was £89 + 4 so he is second most expensive... its not really indicative of the market just yet though, its between two british clubs which would be bad enough but Everton has new rich owners and didn't really need to sell outside his desire to leave.

Im quite happy except the fee of course, a finisher is what was needed who will bully the smaller teams that we dropped so many points to.

Messi983

Nice way to ruin the transfer market buying an overrated donkey for £75million, it does make our alleged '80m and no more' for Verratti amusing though :lol: i think our board are living on a different planet entirely

Or maybe they live on a right planet and all other clubs (especially PL teams) that pay shitload of money for average players are going crazy.

Lukaku at Barca !?!

He'd have the worst touch in the whole squad ....

No way would he ever be bought .

You don't want us to buy a PL player? That's surprising. :mathieu:

Jombi

Why is it so hard to realize that revenues for top clubs have skyrocketed and that this means much higher transfer fees and wages?

There is nothing "crazy" about clubs who see their revenue double causing the prices and wages to double as well.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Why is it so hard to realize that revenues for top clubs have skyrocketed and that this means much higher transfer fees and wages?

There is nothing "crazy" about clubs who see their revenue double causing the prices and wages to double as well.

You pick and choose when to aknowledge that though and say Barca can get players like Keita for 40m or mention 'world record fees' when try to make a transfer seem too expensive.

Sorin

Buying this sort of players is good for United but it limits their ceiling imo. It's all good that he is an improvement over an aging Ibrahimovic; some might argue that he isn't even that, but you can't aspire to be the best in Europe with this type of signings. Hell, I don't think they can aspire to be the best in England.

They are also linked with Dier, Matic etc. Strong players with very limited technical skill. Personally, if i was an United fan, I'd be disappointed with these kind of signings.

They might sneak a PL in the next years but overall they'll be behind the elite of Europe.

Jombi

Buying this sort of players is good for United but it limits their ceiling imo. It's all good that he is an improvement over an aging Ibrahimovic; some might argue that he isn't even that, but you can't aspire to be the best in Europe with this type of signings. Hell, I don't think they can aspire to be the best in England.

They are also linked with Dier, Matic etc. Strong players with very limited technical skill. Personally, if i was an United fan, I'd be disappointed with these kind of signings.

They might sneak a PL in the next years but overall they'll be behind the elite of Europe.

Trying to sign starters from rich clubs is a totally hopeless strategy. People in here seem to think that in order for Barca to be the best we must sign Verratti and other starters from rich clubs. Other clubs realize that this is ridiculous.

Sorin

Trying to sign starters from rich clubs is a totally hopeless strategy. People in here seem to think that in order for Barca to be the best we must sign Verratti and other starters from rich clubs. Other clubs realize that this is ridiculous.

How about trying to sign better players from smaller clubs?

There are better players than Lukaku, Matic, Dier at smaller clubs. Why did you even bring Verratti?

oggydude

He probably will be a downgrade to Ibra but that was because Ibra was amazing this season, but he fits Mou tactics better than Morata, he is strong, great in the air and can hold the ball up well. Mou is building a side with pace and power like he had at Chelsea and Madrid, it's always been his way. The Barca style of football is really easy on the eye but you really need special players who come once in a generation to play like that, whereas you can be just as effective with pace and power and the players can be replaced more easily.

Having Mkhitaryan/Mata & Martial/Rashford/Lingard as well as Lukaku will give the front 3 a nice balance of pace/power/technicality.

Jombi

How about trying to sign better players from smaller clubs?

There are better players than Lukaku, Matic, Dier at smaller clubs. Why did you even bring Verratti?

Trying to sign starters from rich clubs is the Verratti strategy. Totally ridiculous of course.

Which striker with a good age profile would be better for Man U though? There is Bellotti in Italy but Dzeko is also a god in Italy so Bellotti is a big question mark. Aubumeyang is 28, Leipzig have far more ambitious owners than previously thought, so Timo Werner would be crazy expensive, while Mbappe would cost unbelievable sums of money, far more than Lukaku.

JamDav1982

Top clubs try to sign players from other top clubs all the time.

The idea that Barca are only ones that do it and others realise it is ridiculous is a complete lie.

Sorin

Trying to sign starters from rich clubs is the Verratti strategy. Totally ridiculous of course.

Which striker with a good age profile would be better for Man U though? There is Bellotti in Italy but Dzeko is also a god in Italy so Bellotti is a big question mark. Aubumeyang is 28, Leipzig have far more ambitious owners than previously thought, so Timo Werner would be crazy expensive, while Mbappe would cost unbelievable sums of money, far more than Lukaku.

Sanchez is going to Manchester City. Auba is available, is better than Lukaku, and is cheaper. While older he can still play 4-5 years at maximum capacity. They have a legion of scouters that are payed copious amounts of money. They should do better than the Belgian.

Having said that, it's a decent move from United. But they can't expect to be world beaters with this guy. The other players in the squad aren't world beaters either. Bar maybe Pogba. They still have dross like Fellaini, Rojo, Darmian playing solid minutes so it's not only the strikers we are speaking about here. They are linked with the likes of Perisic and Dier. Sure the team can perform better than the sum of its players but these guys have ceilings in what they can do. It's like buying a golf and expecting to match a ferrari in a race.

But hey what do I know, I'm not a fan of United. If they are happy with this guy then more power to them.

Jombi

Sanchez is going to Manchester City. Auba is available, is better than Lukaku, and is cheaper. While older he can still play 4-5 years at maximum capacity. They have a legion of scouters that are payed copious amounts of money. They should do better than the Belgian.

Having said that, it's a decent move from United. But they can't expect to be world beaters with this guy. The other players in the squad aren't world beaters either. Bar maybe Pogba. They still have dross like Fellaini, Rojo, Darmian playing solid minutes so it's not only the strikers we are speaking about here. They are linked with the likes of Perisic and Dier. Sure the team can perform better than the sum of its players but these guys have ceilings in what they can do. It's like buying a golf and expecting to match a ferrari in a race.

But hey what do I know, I'm not a fan of United. If they are happy with this guy then more power to them.

I am not at all convinced that Aubameyang can play at 4-5 years at maximum capacity. He is 28 years old. 31 year old Rooney went the other direction and he's been garbage for a long time now. Once players hit 30, its rare to have many years left at maximum capacity.

Alexis isnt at all what they are looking for. So the options are not many.

Home of Barca Fans