Rangers FC thread

Spector

Totally wrong. To claim that Celtic have a bigger fanbase than Arsenal and that their level of affection worldwide is bigger than theirs and Liverpools is absurd.

Well I think you're being absurd, to be honest. Arsenal and Liverpool are just football teams. Arsenal's popularity in Asia goes no deeper than the latest pop fad. Celtic's popularity has real depth, and surely always will for the reasons previously mentioned.

Arsenal, Liverpool & United (Chelsea too to a lesser extent obv) have fans all over the world. Including Africa, which has about 700 million people. Many of whom are football mad. Do you really think there are many Celtic fans there?.... Nope, as the majority of Celtic fans abroad are expats who've moved elsewhere.

You mean like expat and "huge Hoops Fan" Roberto Baggio? :lol:

You're just one of these guys that thinks football was invented in 1992 when Sky bought England, aren't you?

Last edited:
B

blueduck

Mate, you are talking total crap.

Arsenal's popularity in Asia goes no deeper than the latest pop fad. Celtic's popularity has real depth

:lol:

You mean like expat and "huge Hoops Fan" Roberto Baggio? :lol:

Did I, or did I not say "the majority"?
Anyway even if he was a Celtic fan (which I doubt he has anything more than a casual interest if that is the case) how can he compete with the millions and millions of Arsenal, Liverpool and United fans?

B

blueduck

I'm saying Arsenal, Liverpool, United and probably Chelsea all have waaay more fans than Celtic. I really can't see how you could think otherwise.

The scottish media have make out like people outside Scotland actually care about Celtic or even watch the SPL, and you have been gullable to believe them.

Spector

I'm saying Arsenal, Liverpool, United and probably Chelsea all have waaay more fans than Celtic. I really can't see how you could think otherwise.

But to get back to my question - you do admit I'm right then when I say Celtic's popularity goes much deeper than Arsenal because of its Irish and religious connections?

B

blueduck

Oh youv'e tried to change the discussion.

Do you take back what you said before ? :

For sure, Arsenal have a lot more money from Sky Television, but come on, don't be silly. There's no way they have anywhere near the same fanbase as Celtic.

it would be almost impossible for arsenal to be as big

I honestly think it would be more accurate to say that Celtic's fanbase is ten times the size of Arsenal's.

The only team that I think has the same level of affection worldwide as Celtic in Britain is Manchester United. I would say Arsenal and Liverpool are behind them.

This whole "deeper" stuff is a load of crap. Arsenal fans support their team just as much as Celtic fans do. Except Arsenal don't have religious and political bigotry.

Spector

This isn't a game where you're not allowed to say yes or no.

Okay - I will answer the question you are too scared to answer. Quite simply - no. Arsenal do NOT have a religious or national connection in the way Celtic- a charitable organisation set up for the Irish immigrants- have had for many years worldwide. That's the reason why I say Celtic's popularity runs much deeper, because it goes beyond mere sport. I'm totally clear about my position. Why can't you be as clear?

B

blueduck

This isn't a game where you're not allowed to say yes or no.

Okay - I will answer the question you are too scared to answer. Quite simply - no. Arsenal do NOT have a religious or national connection in the way Celtic- a charitable organisation set up for the Irish immigrants- have had for many years worldwide. That's the reason why I say Celtic's popularity runs much deeper, because it goes beyond mere sport. I'm totally clear about my position. Why can't you be as clear?

Ok, Arsenal does not have religious and political bigotry. Which is a good thing. Yet their fans still support their football team just as much as Celtic's.

You still refuse to admit that Arsenal, Liverpool, United and probably Chelsea all have a lot more fans than Celtic.

Beast

The Observer
Well I go to Spain quite regularly and I have never seen a Celtic or Rangers shirt. I have however seen plenty of United and Arsenal shirts.
I can't recall ever seeing a Liverpool shirt but there is bound to be some considering how many spanish players play for them.

It depend on where you are in Spain , it's very regional country .
you will see couple of Liverpool shirts in the Basque and part of Madrid due to Xabi & Torres
Arsenal in Catalunya ..etc

very true
Black people like Arsenal. There are quite a lot of black people.

True

Hamzah

High Definition Member
but most of these 'fans' would abandon arsenal should they get hounded out of the top 4, and not get near europe for a few years. which is a very real possibility if things don't go arsenals way.

celtic fans support them even though they are shit. imagine if celtic were as good as arsenal, they would get lots more of these so called 'fans' you talk about. but then you would just change your tune and say they are plastic fans, wouldn't you? ;)

Beast

The Observer
Arsenal is a dream for most Africans due to Wenger old faith in them , they established quite a strong basis of their name all around Africa especially the Western side of the continent .
hell even in Egypt Arsenal football school (related to the big one ) is the most famous one ahead of Barca & Milan schools

Spector

Ok, Arsenal does not have religious and political bigotry. Which is a good thing. Yet their fans still support their football team just as much as Celtic's.

I didn't ask you about which team had more religious and political bigotry. I haven't even mentioned politics at all.

So once again, you've twisted the question to avoid answering it. And since three times you've failed to answer the question straight, then I consider you to have lost the argument, and that's my part in the debate over. Which is another boost for my Ibra-sized ego :hooray:

It's always the same - somebody comes in with personal, disrespectful responses, but once you start seriously questioning them, it's extraordinary how quickly they learn how to tap dance. :wave:

Lemmi

The Reckoner
but most of these 'fans' would abandon arsenal should they get hounded out of the top 4, and not get near europe for a few years. which is a very real possibility if things don't go arsenals way.

celtic fans support them even though they are shit. imagine if celtic were as good as arsenal, they would get lots more of these so called 'fans' you talk about. but then you would just change your tune and say they are plastic fans, wouldn't you? ;)

Would they? Celtic, may have had the 9 year league drought but they were still bringing home cups every year. In my 21 years on this planet never have the Old Firm not won the league so your logic is very limited and severely short sighted.

The fact that a huge proportion from regional parts of Scotland support the Old Firm probably affirms the Glory fan notion much more.

Home of Barca Fans