Nelson Semedo

JohnN

He has been good defensively against good sides but he looks much better in a high tempo, 50/50 possession, up and down the pitch kind of game than in a slow buildup focused team.
Still, not so many great options, and he is not the biggest of our issues.

FC B

Would be such a stupid and characteristic move from Fartomeu and the board to let him go even there is no solid back-up for him and before him there are so many players in the team that should've been shipped by now.

Messi983

Looks like we want to renew his contract until 2025 now.

TBH I'm not against it but I'd still try to bring back Emerson or buy Dest and move Roberto to midfield.

JamDav1982

Not his biggest fan and think he lacks in final third and in build up but if plays as high and wide as did in first half at weekend his pace is useful.

I doubt any club is all that interested in him this summer to sell him anyway.

Messi983

I think Emerson/Semedo would complement each other well. On the other side I know most of us don't really like Alba and we should look to replace him longterm but as of now I'd prefer a more defensively solid LB to pair with him because he's not going anywhere.

If I would build a team from the scratch I'd want to have as many different profiles of players at certain positions in the team as possible. For FBs that means having one more offensive and other more defensive minded FB at each side so then you can set up the team depending on the opponents etc. If they have an extremely dangerous FB and/or winger (or even a combination of both) on one side then you put your better defender on them and try to attack them on the other side. Or the opposite. I think times when we were so dominant we could basically play the same way in every game and let opponents worry about how to stop us are long gone (and even then Pep used Alves and Abidal as his FBs to balance the team). By now I think both the club (though I don't believe our older players have ever really accepted that new reality which is why we are where we are) and fans should be well aware of that fact. There are some good teams around these days but none of them is so dominant they couldn't care about thinking about what their opposite would do. So as a team you must do your best to eliminate the opponents strengths and also try to expose their weaknesses and not just play the same way hoping your superior talent (which we don't have anymore) will bring the results.

Ideally of course we'd find someone who is great in both phases of the game but those players are extremely rare and hard to find. We were very lucky to have Alves during his almost entire prime years but even he was much better offensively than defensively. From what I've seen from RM games this year Ferland Mendy is very good in defense and probably one of the main reasons for them having a defensive stability they didn't have in years (but then they had Marcelo in his prime who brought them as much as Alves did to us). But if we'd got Mendy last year he wouldn't play much an got fed up waiting for his chance and want to be sold in two years like it happened with Digne and will probably happened by 2022 with whichever LB we'll bring now to replace Firpo (one of the reasons why I'd prefer to get a more proven veteran player like Alaba over a younger talented LB who needs regular playing time to develop) unless things with the amigos will finally start to move in the right direction by then.

Reports saying we are about to extend his contract with improvement of salary and a higher clause till 2025. Man City rejected a straight Cancelo swap and Inter signed Hakimi.

xXKonan

According to Cat Radio, he was considered an option into some trade deals but the Sporting Department views him now as a essential part of the team now and therefore won't be sold.

He will get his Contract renewed according to Miguel Rico as people stated above. His deal ends until 2022 so that played a part in wanting to extend it to avoid running it to low just in case.

Xaviniesta

he's average with terrible defensive positioning. he's neither a good defender or attacker. his only positive is his speed. we shouldn't be increasing salaries to players who are backups at best. put Roberto at RB and he still does a better job than Semedo

FinBarcelonafan

he's average with terrible defensive positioning. he's neither a good defender or attacker. his only positive is his speed. we shouldn't be increasing salaries to players who are backups at best. put Roberto at RB and he still does a better job than Semedo

Roberto is not any better. He is crap defensively. His lack of movement(quick move) hurts us a lot when everyone else is slow already. We need speed. Semedo is needed.

xXKonan

Seems like Bob is being moved to the Midfield again.

Perfect time to look for another RB or get Emerson back to fight with Semedo for the RB spot.

Xaviniesta

Roberto is not any better. He is crap defensively. His lack of movement(quick move) hurts us a lot when everyone else is slow already. We need speed. Semedo is needed.

Roberto is 10x the player going forward. He is just as average defensively as semedo. the only thing semedo has over him is speed and good shielding of the ball.

we shouldn't be renewing semedo for another 5 years. just let his contraxt expire in 2 years and find someone else. he's really not that essential to the team

Home of Barca Fans