Martin Odegaard

Kohe321

He just had a press conference with Norwegian media together with Strømsgodset to say goodbye and to thank everyone. Here's an interesting bit translated by me:

Media asked: "Have you reflected over what it entails to become so incredibly rich at such a young age?"

Martin: "I don't want to talk a lot about the issue of money, that hasn't really been much of a theme for me at all when talking to the different clubs. I chose what was best for me from a sporting point of view, not more to say really."

Media: "What does Real Madrid offer in a purely sporting sense that the other clubs couldn't match?"

Martin: "They offered an everyday training situation that was the best I could get, and they have a B-team that is being coached by one of the best football players of all time".

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

He just had a press conference with Norwegian media together with Strømsgodset to say goodbye and to thank everyone. Here's an interesting bit translated by me:

Media asked: "Have you reflected over what it entails to become so incredibly rich at such a young age?"

Martin: "I don't want to talk a lot about the issue of money, that hasn't really been much of a theme for me at all when talking to the different clubs. I chose what was best for me from a sporting point of view, not more to say really."

Media: "What does Real Madrid offer in a purely sporting sense that the other clubs couldn't match?"

Martin: "They offered an everyday training situation that was the best I could get, and they have a B-team that is being coached by one of the best football players of all time".

Liar, liar.

Also one of the best players doesn't equal one of the best coaches.

Bertus

Liar, liar.

Also one of the best players doesn't equal one of the best coaches.
?

Where did he lie?

- When he says "everyday training situation that was the best I could get", he means to be able to train with the first team under Ancelotti.

- He didn't mean Zidane was the best coach to train with.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Real Madrid youth player Sergio Aguza declared after the match vs Fuenlabrada that “I would like to earn as much as Odegaard.”

Rahj

Real Madrid youth player Sergio Aguza declared after the match vs Fuenlabrada that “I would like to earn as much as Odegaard.”

user_26118_DYNTYT8Q.jpg

Kohe321

?

Where did he lie?

- When he says "everyday training situation that was the best I could get", he means to be able to train with the first team under Ancelotti.

Exactly. And Zidane seems to become a decent coach for one, and secondly just training under a legend like him will be a goldmine for Martin. Those sessions are going to include more than just formations and tactics to say the least...

slicknick

Funny that the English press start trolling, claiming that he earns 80k Pounds a week, while he does not even earn ahalf of that (even though he still earns a good amount of money), and Aguza falls to that trap straight away

Good read on why people should stop overanalyzing any discussion about his wages

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015/1/26/7906687/martin-odegaard-real-madrid-transfer-wages

R

Ryu Hayabusa

?

Where did he lie?

That he didn't go there for the money.

Chong Li

No one should blame him for taking the best offer, but saying money wasn't an issue, haha yeah right.

At Barca (and I guess at Bayern too) he wouldnt have earned 10% of what RM are paying him.

Kohe321

Reports in Norway now that the rumors of his salary in RM is greatly exaggerated, it's all just speculation. The British press started some crazy numbers that stuck apparently.

Norwegian media is now reporting that he will be earning around 2m - 2,5m euro a year, which is still a lot of money, but not even half of what 80,000£ a week would amount to, which would be around 5,4m euros a year.

Also, I don't think he's a liar at all. He went to Madrid for the entire package they offered him and yes money probably played a part in it, but I believe he's telling the truth that the big deciding factor was the daily training enviroment he will be a part of, with Ancelotti and the first team, and then Zidane and the B-team in the weekends. And of course the offer his dad got, how he felt there, his reception. Of course those things count as well.

Last edited:

Morten

Its probably exaggurated, i mean, does anyone actually believe he earns more than several first squad regulars?

Bertus

That he didn't go there for the money.
As far as we know, RM is the sol "big" club that offered him to train with the first team. Just that, if you read what Odegaard says had a huge impact on his choice since he talks a lot about the training part of the deal.

People can continue to speculate (falsely given what Koke posted above) about the money while ignoring the rest as if RM only offered money. That won't change the fact that RM made the best offer in his opinion money aside. Like training under Carlo.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans