Marco Reus

serghei

I think it's pretty clear that as usually, Benitez will bring his 4-2-3-1. Us not playing with 4-2-3-1 most of the time will mean that he has no authority whatsoever. I'm also not too big of a CR9 fan but let's be honest , he's playing as a striker most of the time anyways. It could work because James could feed him from the right and Reus from the left . If Bale actually returns to being left, he could also feed him some nice balls(no homo). I don't see us selling any of the BBC tho but I'm also afraid of Reus going to ATM.

The problem with a 4-2-3-1 is the two midfielders. You could lose control against teams that put a solid 3 men midfield, if the 4-2-3-1 doesn't turn very fast in a 4-5-1 (or at least a 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1, with Reus and James tracking back) when the opponent is in possession.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
How could ATM line up if they get their targets(and Reus)?
[formation=pink,6]
Oblak
Gamez-0-Godin-0-Miranda/new CB-0-Siqueira
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-Gabi-0-Arda-0-Koke-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
Griezmann-0-0-Martinez-0-0-Reus
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]
And Vietto as a super-sub?

zanela

Nothing really concrete. He's linked to Man.Utd but this is how it pretty much is :
- Otamendi wants out of Valencia, apparently he told that to the club CEO 3 months ago. Marca and plenty of other sources are reporting that he wants to leave asap
- Ramos is being linked to Man .Utd while Pepe is being linked with City and Chelsea. Real see Otamendi as the replacement for Pepe/Ramos. If Man Utd. grabs Ramos then the obvious option is going for Otamendi.
- Rumors about Otamendi saying that he wants to play for RM. Some bullshit that a close friend asked him which club he'd like to play for and he immediately answered Real Madrid.
Reus replacing Benzema would give us a lot of creativity. Marcelo and Reus linking up would be magical. I'm pretty bummed because it seems no matter what that Isco will be on the bench or even worse ,sold.

That close friend was ADM. :rolleyes:

As for Reus, he's very much in the integral plans of Tuchel. If he's leaving, it will only be after the Euros, by which time Barca can make transfers. I won't rule out Barca doing a 'danilo' on Perez. :wub:

MaxY

Devil May Cry
The problem with a 4-2-3-1 is the two midfielders. You could lose control against teams that put a solid 3 men midfield, if the 4-2-3-1 doesn't turn very fast in a 4-5-1 (or at least a 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1, with Reus and James tracking back) when the opponent is in possession.

Benitez is all about playing as a team, be it attacking or defending. He would definitely make James and Reus(if he joined) track back. I think our 2 (defensive) middlefielders will play really close to our centerbacks vs stronger teams. I'm still really confused at how our team will be lined up next season. It's such a difficult task for Benitez. There are so many questions to be answered. De Gea,Casillas,Ramos, new formation, BBC, positions for BBC,Isco, players getting loaned etc.

serghei

That's the best system for ATM (or 4-4-2 with Arda, Gabi, Koke, Reus - Martinez, Griezmann) Simeone always asks a lot from his wide mifielders as far as effort is concerned.

3-4-4-2-Atleticos.png

Benitez is all about playing as a team, be it attacking or defending. He would definitely make James and Reus(if he joined) track back. I think our 2 (defensive) middlefielders will play really close to our centerbacks vs stronger teams. I'm still really confused at how our team will be lined up next season. It's such a difficult task for Benitez. There are so many questions to be answered. De Gea,Casillas,Ramos, new formation, BBC, positions for BBC,Isco, players getting loaned etc.

He probably would, you're right. The problem is when you meat teams that play fast, and they get the ball moving before James, Bale and Reus get to help the 2 midfielders (also, these 3 are very offensive players, not that great when defending, and you also have Kroos, another player with positional issues in defence, and Modric, who's a DLP more than a DM). In this scenario you would get caught with 4 players behind the ball (the three AMs + the ST). Not exactly the team that would be good at blocking attacks (and Real doesn't really have 65%+ possession against good teams, and not holding the ball as much as you'd like means you need to field a more balanced team).

Last edited:

MaxY

Devil May Cry
That's the best system for ATM (or 4-4-2 with Arda, Gabi, Koke, Reus - Martinez, Griezmann) Simeone always asks a lot from his wide mifielders as far as effort is concerned.

3-4-4-2-Atleticos.png

He probably would, you're right. The problem is when you meat teams that play fast, and they get the ball moving before James, Bale and Reus get to help the 2 midfielders (also, these 3 are very offensive players, not that great when defending, and you also have Kroos, another player with positional issues in defence, and Modric, who's a DLP more than a DM). In this scenario you would get caught with 4 players behind the ball (the three AMs + the ST). Not exactly the team that would be good at blocking attacks (and Real doesn't really have 65%+ possession against good teams, and not holding the ball as much as you'd like means you need to field a more balanced team).

That ATM 4-4-2 would be absolutely deadly. I think they would be serious title contenders for both UCL and La Liga once again. Oh well,it's obvious that we'll have those problems when Florentino is our president. He doesn't give a shit about proper CDMs, I doubt Casemiro will get too much playing time next season. Kondgobia was the perfect player for us, he would've been such a huge addition to our team. Well, he could develop at Inter and we could buy him in the future when Modrić is (too) old, in like 2-4 years. I also heard that Benitez will be mixing a lot of elements next season. Holding a big percentage of possession,being compact and deadly in counter-attacks etc. I would have preferred something like 4-1-4-1 with Kondgobia as 1,James-Modrić-Kroos-Isco as the 4 and Ronaldo in attack but that obviously impossible. It would be more compact and more based on defence and possession. It would still be a very entertaining side,nevertheless.

Last edited:

serghei

That ATM 4-4-2 would be absolutely deadly. I think they would be serious title contenders for both UCL and La Liga once again. Oh well,it's obvious that we'll have those problems when Florentino is our president. He doesn't give a shit about proper CDMs, I doubt Casemiro will get too much playing time next season. Kondgobia was the perfect player for us, he would've been such a huge addition to our team. Well, he could develop at Inter and we could buy him in the future when Modrić is (too) old, in like 2-4 years.

Yep, AM's 4-4-2 is killer when they are fresh. They aren't always fresh though, and the system gets too rigid as a result. It's not the greatest system in terms of flexibility, so if the players are not up for it, pumped as they say, it is very easy to get dominated playing a 4-4-2. I remember two cases, somewhat recent. AMs 4-4-2 against Madrid in CL (0-1) and City's 4-4-2 against Barca (1-2). In both cases the teams that used it got heavily dominated (because the wide mifielders are very very important in this system. They must run like crazy (suffice to say that City, a kind of lazy team as it is, didn't have the required discipline and commitment to play it how it should be played). When I heard City was playing 4-4-2 (Aguero and Dzeko, instead of Aguero + extra CM) I knew they were out, because they lack the qualities to make it work. Atletico doesn't lack the quality, but near the end of the season (it shows that they haven't got the squad of Barca and Real) they lack the energy to utilize the system in his offensive application, not only as a very solid and compact defensive system.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Yep, AM's 4-4-2 is killer when they are fresh. They aren't always fresh though, and the system gets too rigid as a result. It's not the greatest system in terms of flexibility, so if the players are not up for it, pumped as they say, it is very easy to get dominated playing a 4-4-2. I remember two cases, somewhat recent. AMs 4-4-2 against Madrid in CL (0-1) and City's 4-4-2 against Barca (1-2). In both cases the teams that used it got heavily dominated (because the wide mifielders are very very important in this system. They must run like crazy (suffice to say that City, a kind of lazy team as it is, didn't have the required discipline and commitment to play it how it should be played). When I heard City was playing 4-4-2 (Aguero and Dzeko, instead of Aguero + extra CM) I knew they were out, because they lack the qualities to make it work. Atletico doesn't lack the quality, but near the end of the season (it shows that they haven't got the squad of Barca and Real) they lack the energy to utilize the system in his offensive application, not only as a very solid and compact defensive system.

They're working on that,seems like a busy summer for them.

Griezzman - Reus swap?

Just please don't join Real. At least not until Perez leaves :lol:

Dat potential Reus + James combo tho :worthy:

We could've easily accommodated Reus by playing him on the Right and placing Messi in the center behind Suarez where the opportunity to exploit the space created by the attacking trident in front of him would be magnified and his passing would be even more impactful than what it already is. In terms of formation, we could've played a 3-3-1-3 with Mathieu-Pique-Masch in the back, and no fullbacks; but they wouldn't be been missed either defensively, given the extra CB, or offensively, for obvious reasons. Another option, would've been to play a conventional 4-2-1-3, which I think we could've pulled off with a good CM.

Alik

We could've easily accommodated Reus by playing him on the Right and placing Messi in the center behind Suarez where the opportunity to exploit the space created by the attacking trident in front of him would be magnified and his passing would be even more impactful than what it already is. In terms of formation, we could've played a 3-3-1-3 with Mathieu-Pique-Masch in the back, and no fullbacks; but they wouldn't be been missed either defensively, given the extra CB, or offensively, for obvious reasons. Another option, would've been to play a conventional 4-2-1-3, which I think we could've pulled off with a good CM.

Why would you disrupt the system that won us the treble?

And if it's not to be the main system, then it comes back down to why would Reus join if he's not going to be part of plan A.

G

Gasgas

:please:

Home of Barca Fans