Luis Enrique

Ursegor

World Champion
I still think we are not solid in defence (don't ask for statistics)

Well, then let me provide the statistics. Because people say this all the time yet I have no clue what this is based on.

frfrl983.png

Last edited:
L

linetty

The game against Atletico Madrid was very promising, the series of consecutive wins we have managed is actually great for the team's confidence. I still think we are not solid in defence (don't ask for statistics), let's see what we do in the harder games and if our midfield and defence can also cope with the tougher opponents, especially in the CL.
After yesterday's CL matches I'd say our defence looks rock solid compared to Chelsea's. Bayern is also not really a role model when it comes to defending.

It's not about who has the fastest and best centre backs and full backs. Good defending is when the whole team defends and presses and that's exactly what we're doing atm.

I can't wait for the City game, you will see what we're capable of.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
bayern do have a good defence imo. they may mess around too much in posession but they have their pressing game sorted out.

DinhoR10

Champions league is the same as European cup.
Former European cup is today Champions league.

But winning European cup in 1982 (Villa) is the same as winning CL in 1992, 2006 or 2026.

Not really, it was a different competition, the only real similarity is that it was a continental cup. So winning them are the same thing technically in that each crowned the best in europe but you can't really compare the competitions.

BBZ8800

Not really, it was a different competition, the only real similarity is that it was a continental cup. So winning them are the same thing technically in that each crowned the best in europe but you can't really compare the competitions.

In that way, World cup in 1930, 1958 or in 1966 is also "less" valuable than today because much less teams played, you had invitations and similar things.

Also, Champions league when Barca won it in 1992 had only 8 teams in total, so someone could say that it was a crappy CL in 1992.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991–92_European_Cup
-- we played against Sparta, Benfica and Dinamo Kyev to reach finals, lol

Also, in late 90s CL had 2 group stages, and then knockout rounds, so someone could again say that CL back then (when didn't win it) was much harder than today.

Also, currently is CL weaker than 5-10 Seasons ago because of Platini's rules to give chances to champions of weaker countries and today 3rd placed teams from stronger countries play against eachother in knockout phase to reach the group stage.

So, with that logic, yes, European cup was different than a CL.
But also, early CLs were very weak, and CLs in late 90s were the strongest, then in early 2000s somewhat weaker, and today are much weaker (only 1 group stage, and more champions from smaller countries).

This is why it is silly to say that something in the past was not as worth as something from today.

Imagine if we, Barca, won 5 cups in 80s or 70s.
Do you think that we would say that european cup was a crap back then?
Or if we won 4 CLs in early 90s, would we say that CL was much weaker back then than a CL when, for example, Real won it in 2000 and 2002, when the CL was really the strongest ever?

Look at CL in 2000, for example, it was much "stronger" than today, isn't it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999–2000_UEFA_Champions_League
-- two group stages, and look at the teams

Last edited:

Kerrybai

Champions league is the same as European cup.
Former European cup is today Champions league.

But winning European cup in 1982 (Villa) is the same as winning CL in 1992, 2006 or 2026.

Lol no. In that case Liverpool have won the premier league.

Home of Barca Fans