Lliga: Villarreal - FC Barcelona 0-1

L

linetty

With Iniesta out, Lucho will start this lineup I think.

----------------Bravo-------------
Alves---Bartra--------Mathieu-Alba
---------------Boss--------------
------Rakitic-------------Xavi----
----Munir-----Messi---Neymar----
Pique will play. Lucho said he can play tomorrow.

pszczudlo

I don't know about a website, but many matches tend to be uploaded on YouTube quickly these days. I am sure someone will post a download/online link on here as well.

Keep a watch on this YouTube channel. They uploaded the Elche game.

do you know How quickly after the game they will upload the video ?

SocalBarcaFan

Does Lucho not like Xavi then? or is it a fitness thing as to why he didn't come on against Elche.

There was no need for him in the last game. I would be surprised if he didn't start the next game with Don Andres out. Away to Villareal is one of the hardest fixtures we'll have this year. Lucho could play Rafinha but I think It's a good game for Chameleon eyes to start.

F

Flavia

[h=4]Squad for the game:[/h] Montoya, Piqué, Rakitic, Sergio, Xavi, Pedro, Messi, Neymar, Rafinha, Bravo, Bartra, Alba, Roberto, Alves, Mathieu, Masip, Munir & Sandro.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think we will see Bravo; Alves, Pique, Mathieu, Alba; Rakitic, Busquets, Rafinha; Pedro, Messi, Neymar

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
This Villarreal match could very well be our first real defensive test for the season. High workrate will be valued to snuff out counter attacks so Pedro and Rafinha might come in handy at RW and CM respectively, though I'd really love to see Xavi play as well.

BerkeleyBernie

There was no need for him in the last game.

My hope is that Lucho is doing it exactly right: picking the right players for the job at hand. Xavi is superfluous when playing against a bus. What Rakitic offers over Xavi in that situation is 1) an outside shot, 2) much quicker getting back to defend the counterattack, 3) more speed in transition, should Barça get the chance to counterattack themselves (witness his great run to help Pedro and Messi vs Elche).

Xavi still defends the ball like no one else, and is great when there is pressure from the other team and a need to link defense, midfield and attack. I suspect we'll see him more in games where the opponent comes out of their own area, or to give Iniesta a rest. If Xavi is paired with Rakitic, it gives some cover to him on counterattacks, as Rakitic will race back to help Busquets and the defense.

Last edited:

Darko

Interested to see who Lucho will play in midfield, Rafinha is the better option defensively, young and hardworking but Xavi is more experienced.

pszczudlo

I would prefer Rafinha. Lucho must show that he has come to barcelona to change things that did not work. Xavi is a great option and that enriches our team that''s still in barca. But we must look for the future. It might be really dificult game for Rafinha but he proved in celta that he can lead a team. There is a risk that he might fail but we must be consistent and pacient like pep was when he put Busquets and pedro in the first season, when not from the first minute of their apparance things worked

PhilS

I have certainly not turned on Rafinha, as a midfielder. He has not yet shown me he should play much at forward. Iniesta and Rakitic have to be 1 and 2 in midfield, Roberto 5. How much of a contribution will come from both Rafinha and Xavi has yet to be determined.

Home of Barca Fans