Lionel Messi - v7

Rory

Ballon d'or has very little credibility and is the least important trophy of any season however, my view is that VVD should be behind one of Salah/Mane, with all of them behind Messi. Liverpool didn't win the Champions because they had a great defence; they let in 7 goals in 6 games in the group stage only going through because they had scored more goals than Napoli who had equal points and goal difference. If it wasn't for Liverpool's attackers they're out at the group stage.

Sorin

I still don't believe that Messi will win it but for the life of me I won't ever understand how VVD is even ahead of his team mate Mane. Besides his stellar CL campaign, Mane was also the main force behind Senegal's bid for Africa's Cup of Nations. He lost in the end to Algeria but the man was the standout player next to Mahrez. Furthermore, Liverpool's defence for the start of this year has been sub par, and the main reason why they are in the first place in the PL is because the attack are bailing out their faltering defense, Mane being the best of them all.

It doesn't make any fucking sense.

Edit: ninja'd by Rory.

Also can't forget how if not for atrocious officiating, VVD would have been sent off in the crucial match of the group stages against Napoli for the foul on Mertens and Liverpool would have been playing in EL for the next of the year most likely. VVD is the best CB in the world but he was not Ballon d'Or material last year and only PR machines are keeping him in the race.

Last edited:

devo901

Ballon d'or has very little credibility and is the least important trophy of any season however, my view is that VVD should be behind one of Salah/Mane, with all of them behind Messi. Liverpool didn't win the Champions because they had a great defence; they let in 7 goals in 6 games in the group stage only going through because they had scored more goals than Napoli who had equal points and goal difference. If it wasn't for Liverpool's attackers they're out at the group stage.

I completely agree, looking who is voting and how much time they spend on the votes - I would even say it is more about sympathy & public image than a fair measurement of a group experts with highly scientific refined methodology. I think the contrast is true - all players give a shit about this as they are pissed that they themselfes are NOT on the list.
plus captains vote for their former room mates/old friends it is a very disputable way to find THE BEST.

instead of having so many different very similar trophies - there should be one with different positions. But no "overall best player", as no one can compare defenders with striker or keepers - and it ends in an popularity vote not a skill assessment. I am sure they do not want a fair vote, because this does not fuse any emotions ... remember Sepp Blatter who was against the Video ref. because he said - that would take out the emotions!! :facepalm:

Messigician

When I said months ago Messi is winning it I was laughed at my the resident Ronaldo ****suckers on here.

Now who is laughing?

Home of Barca Fans