Liga Round 9: Granada - Barca 2-2

Co0ter

Xavi got so lucky last season with the defense, this season strikers aren't shitting themselves infront of goal and we are look dreadful.
Xavi and the defense were lucky for sure, the defense made mistakes all the time but either weren't punished or Ter Stegen made a huge save. Ter Stegen playing out of his mind last season in the league was the main reason we won it.

Porque

Just a note. Bryan Zaragoza now has 5 goals and 1 assist in 9 LaLiga games with Granada. He is set to be called up for Spain squad too to replace Yeremi Pino.

What an incredible goal yesterday. He broke Kounde's legs.

JohnN

I am sure I have never seen this rule applied before in european football.

We have seen many offside calls when an offside player plays the ball (even marginally), but never when an offside player is so far away from the ball played

F78ocf0XEAAI0bq
Should never be offside in my book. Yes, we scrambled but should have gotten away with 3 points. In no way does Ferran ever get involved in the play when the ball is 2 full meters above him.

Messi983

Just a note. Bryan Zaragoza now has 5 goals and 1 assist in 9 LaLiga games with Granada. He is set to be called up for Spain squad too to replace Yeremi Pino.

What an incredible goal yesterday. He broke Kounde's legs.

Yes. And our boy Ansu is also called up. Happy for both of them.

Bryan is clearly one to keep an eye on. He was already on my watch list before this season (mentioned him in the La Liga thread) but will now (deservedly) get more attention. Don't know if he's ready for a move to a bigger club but a very interesting player. Could probably do well for a team like Sevilla who desperately needs fresh blood.

lucas24

I am sure I have never seen this rule applied before in european football.

We have seen many offside calls when an offside player plays the ball (even marginally), but never when an offside player is so far away from the ball played

F78ocf0XEAAI0bq
I am becoming more and more convinced that VAR was only created to ensure in the letter of the law results are what someone at "the top" expects. In this situation even Michael Jordan wouldn't be able to catch the ball. How could Ferran play it? It was 2 metres above his head.

Porque

I am becoming more and more convinced that VAR was only created to ensure in the letter of the law results are what someone at "the top" expects. In this situation even Michael Jordan wouldn't be able to catch the ball. How could Ferran play it? It was 2 metres above his head.

Yeah, the question is if it influences the movement of the Granada 6. It's one of those that regardless of the VAR, the referee will pick and choose with his predosition. Follow the letter of law to a tee (like here), or ignore the technicalities and apply his logical interpretation as of the influence like Joselu.

Neeraj

What I don't get about the 'influence' and 'changes position' argument is that - so many times we have seen a guy be a meter offside and jump over a ball to leave it for a runner coming from a non-offisde position. I have a few instances in my mind but am unable to recollect the exact game/goal, but you guys surely know what I'm talking about - defenders scramble to mark a guy who is clearly offisde but he either jumps over the ball or just moves aside. In this case, the defenders are CLEARLY affected as they weren't expecting someone from the back to run on to the ball.

If that is not called offside, then why is this being called offside? Either they should both be off, or both be on. Right now it's arbitrary and makes no sense.

Porque

What I don't get about the 'influence' and 'changes position' argument is that - so many times we have seen a guy be a meter offside and jump over a ball to leave it for a runner coming from a non-offisde position. I have a few instances in my mind but am unable to recollect the exact game/goal, but you guys surely know what I'm talking about - defenders scramble to mark a guy who is clearly offisde but he either jumps over the ball or just moves aside. In this case, the defenders are CLEARLY affected as they weren't expecting someone from the back to run on to the ball.

If that is not called offside, then why is this being called offside? Either they should both be off, or both be on. Right now it's arbitrary and makes no sense.

Yeah. Exactly as you say. Sometimes a player is clearly off side in phase 1 but becomes active in phase 2, which is way more deliberate and offside than these type of actions. I think Benzema had quite a few of these instances.

Even if Ferran did nothing, he would have been flagged because the referee yesterday wanted to flag it.

In regards to the phases, you might aswell have a guy stand next to the goalkeeper (hello Cristiano) and your whole attack tactic being about kicking a long ball the corner flag for a super pacy winger to chase onto and cut back into the box.

Horatio

You're welcome

Messi leaving it for pedro comes to mind

I have some issues with it as well since Ferran was nowhere near keeper or the ball.
Whatever. We need to step up.

Birdy

Madrid won a CL with such a goaL:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Should be like in fifa, only offside if he touches the ball

Horatio

You're welcome
Bad comparison as this video is trying to prove offside should’ve been called due to Benzema touching the ball, whereas our situation would be comparable to him letting the ball pass for Marcelo to pick it up. Benzema offside, but doesn’t play it -> marcelo not offside(supposedly) who plays it.

But I thought this was a controversial goal because it was actually Marcelo who was offside. Regardless, according to rules applied to us should’ve been called offside as well cause “intention” is to play Benzema who is offside as well.

malvolio

What is the current rule for offside? For sure in the past Ferran's intent of attacking the ball was seen as offside, regardless whether he actually touches it or not.

serghei

What is the current rule for offside? For sure in the past Ferran's intent of attacking the ball was seen as offside, regardless whether he actually touches it or not.
  • challenging an opponent for the ball
Torres is to blame imo. Should not challenge for a cross that he has no chance of getting to. You do that, you expose yourself because you attempted to play the ball. You also influence defenders, because if you make a move as a striker, the defender tends to respond.

Last edited:

malvolio

• challenging an opponent for the ball
Torres is to blame imo. Should not challenge for a cross that he has no chance of getting to. You do that, you expose yourself because you attempted to play the ball. You also influence defenders, because if you make a move as a striker, the defender tends to respond.
So basically nothing changed. He jumped needlessly for a ball he couldn't ever reach. Tbf he can hardly be blamed, it's all about instinct and don't think he knew were Felix was.

Home of Barca Fans