League Cup

B

BrianSwan

dont you see the irony though?

you're mocking a fan of another team who is happy that they won a trophy when you chose to support the most successful team in the world. You're not a catalan and don't live there, you chose to support them. How can you really look down on another team then? also only celebrating when you play "orgasmic football" is stupid. You wouldn't take a 1-0 plucky CL final win over Real Madrid if they dominated you the whole game, you wouldn't celebrate?

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End

you're mocking a fan of another team who is happy that they won a trophy when you chose to support the most successful team in the world. You're not a catalan and don't live there, you chose to support them. How can you really look down on another team then? also only celebrating when you play "orgasmic football" is stupid. You wouldn't take a 1-0 plucky CL final win over Real Madrid if they dominated you the whole game, you wouldn't celebrate?

Doubt he will see it that way but true!

XaviMessiGirl

My local team doesn't count, MLS isn't a real league :cry:

This debate is so stupid anyway. Most local fans are always going to see it that way, and foreign fans will never see it that way. I used to argue with people who have that mindset but it's just a waste of time.

He does have a point though, people who only care for "beautiful football" will never know what 6 years without a trophy is like, so to make fun of it is awfully ridiculous.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Come on, don't act like Liverpool is some underdog. I could understand Cardiff City fans being thrilled at a Carling Cup, but a team that spent £30M on a striker? It's like celebrating an Intertoto Cup win.

Though not as silly as some Welsh hick crying that an American without a local club or someone from a country where the local league is atrocious chooses to follow a team with a major media presence and not a Romanian 3rd division team.

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

Yeah the striker that can't do shit and it's a small miracle whenever he actually scores a goal :lol: It's not so much being the underdogs in the final, but if you look at some of the teams we had to beat to get there, it's an accomplishment.

dalitis8

Banned
Come on, don't act like Liverpool is some underdog. I could understand Cardiff City fans being thrilled at a Carling Cup, but a team that spent £30M on a striker? It's like celebrating an Intertoto Cup win.

Though not as silly as some Welsh hick crying that an American without a local club or someone from a country where the local league is atrocious chooses to follow a team with a major media presence and not a Romanian 3rd division team.

But we have freakin' APOEL :D

S

Silva Lining

:worthy:

dalitis8

Banned

I am not mocking. I am noting the fact that the Carling Cup is not so terribly important for a club like Liverpool. Care to argue with that?

I can look down on other teams by virtue of free thought. The human mind, allows for comparisons of abstract concepts. For this reason it is easy for me, as well as many other people to formulate the following: "How shitty all football sides in the world really are next to Barca" Just as well as I can say: "How unattractive is the 99.9999% of women next to Adriana Lima" despite the fact that she is not my girl. Or: "How clueless are most film directors next to Stanley Kubrick and Hitchcock"

Being really satisfied with your team only when they play well is a sign of maturity and a serious approach to the game. For me, the 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou in the Copa, felt like a defeat, despite the fact that we went through. It was probably the one and only time that Madrid had outplayed us since Perez re-took over (maybe also the 1st half in the 1-0 victory in October 2009 with Ibra's goal) Winning without playing well, is a gift of fortune, not something to sing home about.

I would definitely take a 1-0 plucky win over Real Madrid in the final of the CL, but I would not be as happy as last year.

The number one reason that makes this Barca so much more attractive than any team I have ever seen, is that it offers the football fan, more than wins, and trophies and glory. They offer style.

Robbie

There's got to be more to supporting a club than just style. I'd still support Arsenal if we were relegated and had Allardyce as a manager.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
There's got to be more to supporting a club than just style. I'd still support Arsenal if we were relegated and had Allardyce as a manager.

I think it's a mixture of multiple things. I think having a relationship with the city a team is based in even if you aren't from there is more important than style, but it's not everything. Plenty of people start following a team because of a way they play or a player they like as a kid and continue to follow after that. I still support Fiorentina even though they are basically unwatchable nowadays, though the three clubs I seriously follow all have an identity of attacking, skill football. I think having an identity is important, it gives you something to build around, but being fun to watch is no reason to support a club.

I mean look at Arsenal, are the kids who became fans because of the Invincibles or whatever lesser fans than older people who can remember George Graham's ugly English football? It depends.

Jenks

Barcelona always had its fair share of supporters thanks to players like Cruyff, Maradona, Laudrup, Figo, Ronaldo, Rivaldo etc. It wasn't comparable with today's fan base,

Well it's not really relevant either way, because Barca were still winning things back then.

M

mitkoa7x

Well it's not really relevant either way, because Barca were still winning things back then.

Barca have so many supporters thanks to their style of play and ethics. Im supporting Barca since 2001 (started supporting them vigorously in 2005 when i grew up a bit) they werent the trophy winning machine they are now. I cant explain why I support them, I just feel right when im cheering for them. I would still support them if they were in the 3rd division.
It just happens that the team im supporting is the most successful in the past decade.
tumblr_le3z01eAUi1qdodh0.gif

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans