League Cup

Jenks

Barca have so many supporters thanks to their style of play and ethics. Im supporting Barca since 2001 (started supporting them vigorously in 2005 when i grew up a bit) they werent the trophy winning machine they are now. I cant explain why I support them, I just feel right when im cheering for them. I would still support them if they were in the 3rd division.
It just happens that the team im supporting is the most successful in the past decade.
tumblr_le3z01eAUi1qdodh0.gif

Rubbish. I'm sure they have more because of that, but to attribute their massive worldwide fanbase to that is just being either naive, or deliberately disingenuous. If Barca were playing the same style, with the same ethics, but only a mid-table Spanish side, they wouldn't have a quarter of the support they do now, let alone most of it.

Ambrosia

There's got to be more to supporting a club than just style. I'd still support Arsenal if we were relegated and had Allardyce as a manager.
You say that now but...

I would support Liverpool if they were relegated and beyond but i do have certain limits. If Martin O Neill for example ever became Liverpool manager i would stop supporting Liverpool and become their biggest hater.

I abhor that man.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
To accuse someone of being a glory hunter, even when they clearly behave like one is an act of superiority that I do not appreciate at all. To call someone a lesser fan because they are not from the city is pretty shameful, borderline racist, if not racist.

It is by choice you opt to support a club and it is by choice you continue to support them through thick and thin. It is by choice you demand from your club, and it is by choice you are pleased or displeased. But when enough time has passed, that choice no longer becomes a matter of option, it becomes ingrained within you. That you cannot change after some time, but it can be ignored (i guess).

Those who happen to be from a city of a big football club are not by choice, but by luck. Not to take anything away from them but they could have easily been born elsewhere.

I support Madrid, but if an Arabic club were to face them, say a Palestinian one or an Emaraty one, I would root for the latter.

F

Flavia

The world is globalized for some time now. I live in Brazil, where football is the most popular sport, but never felt connected to any of the teams here, as I feel with Barça. And I've endured the 1999-2005 drought, and would endure any other bad or worse patch than that one. Living in barcelona wouldn't make much of a difference for me, anyway. I'm not a big fan of stadiums, crowds and such, and I'd go eventually to a match, even living there. This "you gotta support a local team" might have been true in a long distant past.

To accuse someone of being a glory hunter, even when they clearly behave like one is an act of superiority that I do not appreciate at all. To call someone a lesser fan because they are not from the city is pretty shameful, borderline racist, if not racist.

It is by choice you opt to support a club and it is by choice you continue to support them through thick and thin. It is by choice you demand from your club, and it is by choice you are pleased or displeased. But when enough time has passed, that choice no longer becomes a matter of option, it becomes ingrained within you. That you cannot change after some time, but it can be ignored (i guess).

Those who happen to be from a city of a big football club are not by choice, but by luck. Not to take anything away from them but they could have easily been born elsewhere.
Well put.

I support Madrid, but if an Arabic club were to face them, say a Palestinian one or an Emaraty one, I would root for the latter.
Why?

Robbie

I dunno. It's obvious that most of the Cules on this forum were fans during the trophyless years, so I feel like you guys earned the right to call yourselves Barca fans.

It's just that after 2008, I'm seeing Spain and Barca shirts EVERYWHERE. Before that it was all Italia and Real Madrid shirts. There's always a load of bandwagon jumpers who only want to root for the winning team, and (at least in my opinion) it's a hollow form of support. It's like all the Chelsea supporters that were suddenly appearing during the Mourinho era. Where are they now? Wearing City shirts or going back to supporting Fulham.

Last edited:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
The world is globalized for some time now. I live in Brazil, where football is the most popular sport, but never felt connected to any of the teams here, as I feel with Barça. And I've endured the 1999-2005 drought, and would endure any other bad or worse patch than that one. Living in barcelona wouldn't make much of a difference for me, anyway. I'm not a big fan of stadiums, crowds and such, and I'd go eventually to a match, even living there. This "you gotta support a local team" might have been true in a long distant past.

Well put.

Why?

Because I am an Arab.

Maria

I dunno. It's obvious that most of the Cules on this forum were fans during the trophyless years, so I feel like you guys earned the right to call yourselves Barca fans.

It's just that after 2008, I'm seeing Spain and Barca shirts EVERYWHERE. Before that it was all Italia and Real Madrid shirts. There's always a load of bandwagon jumpers who only want to root for the winning team, and (at least in my opinion) it's a hollow form of support. It's like all the Chelsea supporters that were suddenly appearing during the Mourinho era. Where are they now? Wearing City shirts or going back to supporting Fulham.

I don't mind being called a bandwagon fan just because I support Barcelona..but what I don't understand it's why someone from Catalunia has the right to support this team, while the foreigners don't. The PL has risen thanks to this so-called "fake" fans, so I don't appreciate when an englishman gets to say who is a true fan and who isn't.
And you will see RM shirts even if they don't win anything for 5 years..having won 9 CL and players like Zidane, Beckam, Ronaldo, Kaka, Cristiano will always atract fans.

M

mitkoa7x

I started watching City a lot since the Arab bosses came. If I had a favorite team in the EPL it would be City, but im not a fan like i am with Barca. I mean I watch almost all their games cuz I like how they play and most of their squad, does that make me a bandwagoner, or did you mean like going on the internet pretending to be a City supporter from the dawn of times? Im giving City just as an example.

Pitbull2k4

I agree with all of this.

If I were to support my local club I'd have to support NEC, terrible club. Not to mention the fans are retards; I'm pretty sure you can't get a season ticket unless you have an IQ less than 90 (not to mention they all talk the Dutch equivalent of an Essex chav accent).

It's 2012, wake up people. I don't feel any connection to my local side and I don't have to. For 13$ a month I can see every international match in the world, for less than 3 hours work I can be in Barca (if you book far in advance, which I will this year :D ). Things are a-changing, for better or for worse.

Glory hunter is a pejorative term, so we should use it as such. If someone is a fan since 2008, what does it matter? Until the next dry patch he is Schrödinger's cat: he may or may not be a true supporter through thick and thin, there is no way of knowing yet. A glory hunter is when a 2008+ fan goes for instance on redcafe.com after the CL final saying "my team is the best", "you suck" etc; it's a pejorative word, use it in those cases where the person deserves it.

Home of Barca Fans