Lautaro Martinez

gregorrin10

He swapped jerseys with Suarez. Sign what's happening next? Suarez replacement.

Would be the perfect replacement for the next decade. Mbappe is obviously still the ultimate dream, would be the ultimate player to get in the next 3 years, but it's extremely unlikely with him preferring Madrid and our shitty relationship to PSG. But Lautaro has become the next best thing for me in the past 2 seasons. I wouldn't mind a straight swap honestly. Yes, Suarez can still be world class, but because of his age he's not worth more than 80M (and I'm being generous) at this point, so maybe giving them Suarez and throwing Vidal these alongside him. who Conte loves, could be enough to convince them to agree to a straight swap. But I think Suarez is heading to the MLS, so maybe Coutinho can be an option instead, and he played for them in the past, Coutinho+Vidal for Lautaro, and we sell Suarez to the MLS for 40-50M? Could be done.

Last edited:

Xtroverto

I don't see Lautaro replacing Suarez in any meaningful way, Barca needs a striker, Lautaro is to much of a player, I'd much rather get Barbosa who is a much more reliable goalscorer. Lautaro is much more a playmaker/second striker typ player, not at all the goal-getter Barsa needs to replace Suarez. It would be Patrick Kluvert all over again, too much of a ball lover and not enough of a goal-getter.

Often the best strikers are the least impressive looking, Suarez is a perfect example, he looks useless and then bang, he score 2 at the Bernabéu stadium and everyone shut up, that is the kind of player I want, someone that looks useless and then shut everyone up with a hattrick at the Bernabéu.

CatalinR10

This guy is a different player and improved a lot since i first saw him play for Arg with Messi. Need to keep an eye on him but we need a pure striker who can score loats of goals , idk if he's the guy to fill that role.

mc_lovin

You saw him play yesterday? That was a strikers performance - he was leading the line, not Lukaku. His goal return looks quite decent as well this season.

There arent too many other options anyway. Malen and Haaland maybe? Dont think either is ready.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
It is equally unlikely to find a Suarez 'replacement' than there is a Messi one. Luis Suarez will go down as the greatest striker in the club's history, not named Messi. Lautaro has great attributes to be an ideal option for Barcelona going forward and I cannot think of a better fit among young strikers in the game

He has so many intangibles and just not quite finishing every movement/action/pass efficiently but he is regularly creating havoc. A striker in Barcelona's system doesn't need to score all the goals but create enough danger & chances whereby his teammates can be clinical when he is not. I hadn't been sure about the player previously but now, I don't see a more enticing option out there

Riordon

He has been on this level since Conte took over. The best Suarez replacement out there, reminds me of a young Suarez.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Article out today in Catalunya that claim Barcelona came close to signing Lautaro 6 months before Inter swooped in but that Pep Segura did not approve the transfer due to the player being deemed not Barca level

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't see Lautaro replacing Suarez in any meaningful way, Barca needs a striker, Lautaro is to much of a player, I'd much rather get Barbosa who is a much more reliable goalscorer. Lautaro is much more a playmaker/second striker typ player, not at all the goal-getter Barsa needs to replace Suarez. It would be Patrick Kluvert all over again, too much of a ball lover and not enough of a goal-getter.

Often the best strikers are the least impressive looking, Suarez is a perfect example, he looks useless and then bang, he score 2 at the Bernabéu stadium and everyone shut up, that is the kind of player I want, someone that looks useless and then shut everyone up with a hattrick at the Bernabéu.

Suarez was literally the same type of player at Ajax.

Gabriel Barbosa is nothing more than a glorified Mauro Icardi with a worse attitude.

Andresito

Staff member
Easy to bash Segura but in this case it's tough. People now see Lautaro as Suárez replacement but only a couple of months ago he wasn't deemed good enough.

Plus 25M for a 21-year old who scored 27 goals in 60 games playing for an Argentinian team was a big gamble for Inter.

Not saying we should sign only players who score 1 goal per game, but some players need a bunch of playing time to develop and Lautaro seems to be that kind of player. He would develop very little playing behind Suárez last season.

What we could've done is buy him and instantly loan him out like Emerson. It's not realistic though.

khaled_a_d

I really don't think we should go for a no9, probably not for an attacker either.

Griezmann,Messi,Suarez all play inside and non of them are truly a winger who stretch the game for us. All will be here next season.
Also, I agree with [MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] that Fati will most likely end up being a no9 not a LW.
Ou only true wingers are Dembele & Perez.
All while there is a real need to rebuild our defense and improve midfield too.

mc_lovin

I really don't think we should go for a no9, probably not for an attacker either.

Griezmann,Messi,Suarez all play inside and non of them are truly a winger who stretch the game for us. All will be here next season.
Also, I agree with [MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] that Fati will most likely end up being a no9 not a LW.
Ou only true wingers are Dembele & Perez.
All while there is a real need to rebuild our defense and improve midfield too.

Griezmann and Messi shouldnt play centre forward though. Fati doesnt look like one either, no idea what you are seeing in him for that position. Hes a classic modern winger. Maybe in a few years if he bulks up enough and improves his holdup play, but probably not for the next few seasons.

That leaves Suarez for the centre forward spot and makes the rumours that we are looking for one very credible. Other than that "rebuilding" our defense sounds a bit too dramatic. We need 1 centreback at most (depending on the developement of Todibo, Araujo, Umtiti etc). For the midfield spot I would be very content with 1 decent physical midfielder.

That are three transfers with one very expensive one (Martinez). That sounds kind of possible if we get rid of Coutinho and maybe even Dembele. Would be nice to see Messi as a 2nd striker behind two mobile forwards (Lautaro, Griezmann) as well. Could be a good way to get Messi off the wings (hes abandoning anyway).

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Adrian Sanchez claiming tonight that Inter have stopped renewal talks with Lautaro due to the player wanting to consider offer from Barcelona, that Barca has the positive interest of the player

Riordon

IMO we should try to think post Messi when rebuilding our forward line. Which kind of forward line do we want?

In the last few years, these two types have been succesful:

runner in behind - true 9 - creator like Neymar-Suarez-Messi

or

runner in behind - false 9/SS - runner in behind like Mane-Firmino-Salah, Villa-Messi-Pedro

IMO we should start thinking about which kind of system we want and buy players who can fit into this instead of just buying all the best players who in the end doesn't really fit like with Coutinho, Griezmann and so on

Home of Barca Fans