José Giménez

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Well yeah that's what pretty much meant, I was just lazy with details. My bad. You get nowhere without the correct attitude. Mario Balotelli? Quaresma? You have to be truly special to be top class off talent alone.

But Ricardo Carvalho is a perfect example about what I was speaking of with the strength of the leagues. Played for Porto in a league not considered all that strong, came to the PL and beasted it for years. He was 26 when he joined and was already top class despite the league he was in.

Andrew M

Well yeah that's what pretty much meant, I was just lazy with details. My bad. You get nowhere without the correct attitude. Mario Balotelli? Quaresma? You have to be truly special to be top class off talent alone.

But Ricardo Carvalho is a perfect example about what I was speaking of with the strength of the leagues. Played for Porto in a league not considered all that strong, came to the PL and beasted it for years. He was 26 when he joined and was already top class despite the league he was in.

Carvalho was a great defender. Sometimes it is more about the club than the league. Look at Lovren. Chelsea midfield works hard which is what all defenders want and need

xavi_the_Boss

This guy has been very impressive everytime i saw him for atleti and in the WC.Maybe the best young Defender in the league.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Not really bad when a 19 year old gets harassed by the GOAT and a combination of three of the best attackers in the world at full force. His potential is still very high and he'll continue to develop and mature. This is a learning experience more than a disappointment for someone that young.

Wasn't the best night for him, but he did pretty well considering he faced the GOAT, the best player in the top 3 Euro leagues last year, and another Top 10 attacker. Any team will want him and I hope he and Simeone stay with Atleti.

BarçaBarça

I was reminded by an article in the Guardian that his buy-out apparently is 60 M. €, which is 10 M. more than Laportes buy-out. Since the club seems destined on splashing on a well-known young CB, it is relevant to discuss if Gimenez would be a better choice? I have tended to rate him higher than Laporte, but is he 10 M. € more valueable?

Maybe Laporte fit our team more, I believe his is better with the ball, and I don't know if Giménez would even want to leave.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Gimenez is part of the best defensive team in the world while Laporte never justified his hype or pricetag.

Galning

Barça cannot afford to pay a 60M buyout clause for a centreback. Plus taxes it would come close to what we paid for Suarez.

BarçaBarça

Barça cannot afford to pay a 60M buyout clause for a centreback. Plus taxes it would come close to what we paid for Suarez.

I think you are right, but it seems like we are chasing Marquinhos and Laporte who has similar prize-tags (unless every single CB-rumour is made up).
We shouldn't do that if we can't pay that kind of money anyway?

But I would be fine with 2 cheaper and less profiled young prospects if these guys are too expensive - it is our own fault that the position hasn't been prioritized in earlier seasons.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Well yeah,top young CB's like Marquinhos,Laporte,Varane,Stones all cost 50 + M. The only one who's of similar quality but much cheaper is probably Mustafi.

Home of Barca Fans