Jean-Clair Todibo

Messi983

These players were never truly given a chance here, that's revisionism

That's not a point here. They came back as better players from loans but still not good enough. If Todibo now goes to let's say Bayer, plays 50-60 games there in next 18 months (which is not a given I know but it's a best case scenario) and then comes back and fail to stay longterm as at least a backup would you say that's because of a failed loan or because he's not good enough to play at a top level club?

Backup players won't get 50 starts to show their value. They'll mostly come off the bench and occasionally start here and there and they should do enough to earn more playing time and eventually prolong their time at the club. We can discuss if this is ok or not but that's the way things are. We can't compete for titles and at the same time wait for fringe talents to maybe show enough to keep them.

Given Todibo's lack of experience before even coming here and the fact that CB is outfield positon where most coaches (not just EV) usually rotates the least it's very unlikely Todibo will play enough to develop. So why not look for those minutes in another club? Yes, loan could not work out but him staying here and not playing also won't help him.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
That's not a point here. They came back as better players from loans but still not good enough. If Todibo now goes to let's say Bayer, plays 50-60 games there in next 18 months (which is not a given I know but it's a best case scenario) and then comes back and fail to stay longterm as at least a backup would you say that's because of a failed loan or because he's not good enough to play at a top level club?

If you claim they were not good enough then clearly it is a point here. Moreover, it ignores the other point - that a player may indeed be good enough but the coach does not know how to get the best out of them.

What your hypothetical scenario fails to consider is that provided Todibo does go out on 'loan' or sale with buyback, it presumes that no other changes will be made to the rotation or depth of central defenders during that time and therefore making it less likely that even a player doing well at Bayer or elsewhere will even want to return. As I say, this has never worked out for any player. We see this with cantera players as well which is why some are considering leaving earlier on their own terms.

The biggest issue with Valverde apart from naive tactics is failing to rotate or use squad depth. We have one of the smaller squad sizes among the biggest clubs and yet the minutes are consolidated among fewer players in the squad than ANY of those clubs.

Given Todibo's lack of experience before even coming here and the fact that CB is outfield positon where most coaches (not just EV) usually rotates the least it's very unlikely Todibo will play enough to develop. So why not look for those minutes in another club? Yes, loan could not work out but him staying here and not playing also won't help him.

Lack of experience is irrelevant if a 16 year old can find a spot in the rotation (Helps that we otherwise have no healthy wingers). Moreover, that lack of experience in a big CL match away from home surely demonstrated enough to warrant further consideration if not minutes when a big question mark will remain on Umtiti. There's a reason why the club were after De Ligt, the alternative is to stick with 3 central defenders where one is a question mark? There is absolutely no logic to that, particularly when any potential sale of Todibo would recoup at best 10-15 million. Is there a central defender on the planet Barcelona could reinforce with at that price point? I'll wait but I am sure you know the answer to that

Either we have depth or we roll the dice with injuries, either we build for the future or constantly buy players and hope they will adapt when a central defender without experience will never integrate quickly to Barcelona. We are desperate for depth in central defense and finally we have a potential star, not just depth, there and right after he's given a chance he's linked away? Sporting wise, it's a disastrous approach albeit consistent from Bartomeu

xXKonan

The First, Second and 3rd Choice CB here are all dodgy in many aspects and they want to replace Todibo with Araujo who is worse than he is in a number of aspects because the coaching staff rates him higher than Todibo.

Actually pretty baffling really with the Todibo vs Araujo stuff. I like Araujo but he is worse than Todibo is in a number of different aspects.

Last edited:

Leong157

The First, Second and 3rd Choice CB here are all dodgy in many aspects and they want to replace Todibo with Araujo who is worse than he is in a number of aspects because the coaching staff rates him higher than Todibo.

Actually pretty baffling really with the Todibo vs Araujo stuff. I like Araujo but he is worse than Todibo is in a number of different aspects.

aybe because Todibo shirt sale is not up to target. Gotta have those revenue increases smh u know.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The club need to make 126m before June. Even if Valverde is barely giving him any minutes he's getting loaned with an obligation to buy because the club are desperate for money.

serghei

Would be stupid to sell a super-talented CB who we got for free. Loan is a perfect move, or he should remain to see if the next manager won't prefer a has been Umtiti instead of him.

There are minutes to be had as a 3rd CB. For me, Umtiti is clearly done. There's no point in keeping him with his injuries and all, this is not 2017 anymore. Todibo should move up to 3rd CB.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

The club need to make 126m before June. Even if Valverde is barely giving him any minutes he's getting loaned with an obligation to buy because the club are desperate for money.

Sell Dembele and Coutinho. If we can't sell those two for that money I would be speechless.

FCBfan22

Umtiti is done, Pique is unmotivated, Lenglet is under Barca starter level and we wil loan Todibo.

Great CB managment.

Send Pique to Japan to do deals with Rakuten and start Todibo in most of the games in 2020. We can at least try to save money on 1 CB by giving him a chance.

Last edited:
Gazzetta reporting a loan has been agreed with Milan with the option to buy at the end of the season for 20m Euro. If it's true then this team is dying a slow slow death under this hierachy.

Home of Barca Fans