Jean-Clair Todibo

khaled_a_d

There were ways to let him 'go back home' under loan without losing the control of the club over his future.

We haven't learned a thing or two from how Perez conducts the same business

We loaned him twice, and at the end Nice offered us a good deal overall with option to buy with 800% of what we bought him for and 20% of future sale.
Also, teams are way more invested in developing their own players, rather than loans. Nice wanted to take the risk and work with him step by step, since he can be long term investment for them, you can't expect same results if they didn't have that.
And French league doesn't allow buyouts, meaning there was no buyback option we could insert.

khaled_a_d

I don't know who were this guy, but Todibo has been really decent in Barca whenever he played.

He was still a kid, but he could fight against top players, always in my mind how he destroyed Lautaro Martinez.

He was toying with him, absolute bullying.

The game against Sevilla was one of the worst games a CB has ever had in Barca shirt tbh.
If it wasn't for Luuk, the ultimate Barca legend, De Jong typical Sevilla performance, Todibo could have been a reason for 3 or so goals.
Kid had zero awareness at that time tbh

vuji_31

I don't remember it, but he was still kid, so it does not mean a lot.

He got potential, he proved that he was talented and he is really good CB.

Porque

Benfica are notorious for flipping and they cut their losses too. So it is not a cut and dry case.

If I recall we wanted to loan him back to Ligue1 but he thought it was a backwards step to go back to France and refused a move.

Then after the loans he wanted to leave the club and not be loaned anymore.

So one of those cases where he wasn't mature enough and needed to have his ego checked.

Very talented player though, couldn't play in a back two for a number of years, and the second best defender behind Dante when playing under Gaultier.

Haven't watched him this year (maybe a PSG match that I can't recall) so if he made another stepup then fair play.

Said years ago that he should have been signed and groomed in the B team together with Araujo. But probably he would have refused that step and gone for Juve, having been a first team player for Toulouse before (again) being dropped coz of his attitude.

So yeah, one of the few that's surprisingly not on the club in my book. And good on them to both sell AND get a decent % sell on fee.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He acknowledged as much that he lacked the maturity to take advantage of his opportunities at Barca. Shame really, I was a fan - reminds me of Araujo but better on the ball

Andresito

Staff member
He's played like 100 games since leaving us, of course he'll come closer to the potential he had showed for us.

Was smart of him to use Nice as a stepping stone.
As mentioned, 45M is what Nice wants, so far nobody has paid for him and let's remember, he hasn't 'exploded' for a big club yet and maybe he never will. Still too early to complain about him being a big loss.

I'm sure we would've liked to keep him but he didn't let the club do that. He was way too eager. Those 100 games of experience he played for Nice would've taken ages at Barca.

Home of Barca Fans