Jean-Clair Todibo

xXKonan

Considering how he has played with the current sample size we have, you wouldn't think he had only a meager 12 games of top-flight experience under his belt.

I think the club and sporting department will be more than happy with what he has shown so far. I think the worrying part is that Umtiti doesn't look prepared for the season.

Devils

[tw]1159297892357742592[/tw]

World class talent.

De Ligt stans are devastated.

#TeamTodibo no losses.

We move.

xXKonan

The only thing holding him back is not having a lot of experience at the top level right now.

If he had more experience you could make a pretty strong case that he could overtake both Lenglet and Umtiti to be a starter. He is more athletic, quicker, and taller than Lenglet and Umtiti while being good on the ball himself. And defensively seems to have potentially a higher ceiling than either.

Umtiti once fit that bill before his injury but it seems that knee injury about sucked out the rest of what Athletic ability he once had.

Riordon

The only thing holding him back is not having a lot of experience at the top level right now.

If he had more experience you could make a pretty strong case that he could overtake both Lenglet and Umtiti to be a starter. He is more athletic, quicker, and taller than Lenglet and Umtiti while being good on the ball himself. And defensively seems to have potentially a higher ceiling than either.

Umtiti once fit that bill before his injury but it seems that knee injury about sucked out the rest of what Athletic ability he once had.

Btw, with Lenglet I don’t use elite CB potential. I feel this is the best he can, which is good but not elite. I would play Todibo as a 3rd CB first half of season and if he can keep this up, play him instead of Lenglet.

It requires a coach with balls though but without regular game time he will never develip

serghei

Has pretty much everything to be one of the best defenders. Needs to work on his positioning, and that can only come with playing a lot of minutes.

mc_lovin

Tough to say, really. His physique and technique look impressive already, but defending is like 90% anticipation/ingame intelligence. Hard to judge without him playing real games. But I am slightly optimistic.

serghei

Tough to say, really. His physique and technique look impressive already, but defending is like 90% anticipation/ingame intelligence. Hard to judge without him playing real games. But I am slightly optimistic.

For me it's not about anticipation mostly. It's about a good system, having no weak links in the back 4 who cause imbalances, and athleticism & mental toughness. 90% of the time defenders (especially CBs) are in a position where they have to react to the movements of the attackers with a certain delay (defending is reactionary by nature). The art of defending is basically reducing this delay to the minimum possible. This is done by the manager (positional structure, no gaps, double teaming tactics etc.), and by the player individually, but not very often with anticipation, but more with their physical attributes.

Ronaldo for example was very hard to block from a physical standpoint. Very fast, quick shooter, great at heading, with some trickery and explosion too. You had to have a CB with similar traits, the complete physical package (strong, fast, with great reach and top reflexes). Atletico had Savic who blocked Ronaldo in the air, but then Ronaldo completely ruined Savic in the 0-3 game and exposed his awful technique on ground level.

Ronaldo was effective vs Atletico because he was the only striker who could physically dominate their CBs.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

he has not been that effective against atletico--this year an anomalie. atletico got some big wins vs them (la liga and cup deciders) and in the 2 cl losses other real players got real a chance to win in shoot outs/et with cr a frustrated nonfactor. godin finally showing age probably was a factor this cl though.

i can also all but assure you klopp or poch or pep would have far less nightmares with cr coming to town than one leo messi.

Last edited:

Sorin

He mostly dominated their full backs physically. Godin, Gimenez and co largely had the measure of him most of the time. Strange post, but sadly, I'm used with the overgloryfing of CRonaldo on Barcaforum.

Home of Barca Fans