Jadon Sancho

Yannik

Absolutely and he tried diving twice before that as well. There was contact and he got his toes perhaps but he went down like he was shot - if anything, this is what is VAR is needed for. You can't give a penalty for a sequence like that IMHO

don't really understand why you'd say it wasn't a pen but at the same time acknowledge the contact. If the foul happened, it doesn't matter how Sancho acted out. If you are a striker and you are fouled, what's the point of staying on your feet when the ref will most likely not react to it then?

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
don't really understand why you'd say it wasn't a pen but at the same time acknowledge the contact. If the foul happened, it doesn't matter how Sancho acted out. If you are a striker and you are fouled, what's the point of staying on your feet when the ref will most likely not react to it then?

There's contact in the box, all the time. Did the contact cause him to fall or did he fall to win the penalty? Latter

Yannik

There's contact in the box, all the time. Did the contact cause him to fall or did he fall to win the penalty? Latter

A foul isn't only called when a player is brought to the ground. If you attempt a challenge, but come to late and kick your opponents legs/feet/shin etc its a pen 100% of the time anywhere on the pitch. That's the rules and yes, having played football 10 years and being on the receiving end of that quit often: Being stepped on the foot with studs will hurt a fucking lot. Not necessarily make you fall, but definitely make you stop playing due to the initial pain.

Last edited:

Jenks

I thought he played within himself, like he was trying not to make a mistake. He does that some times in the bigger occasions. He was the same the first time he played Bayern, and before he got his goals for England.

Absolutely and he tried diving twice before that as well. There was contact and he got his toes perhaps but he went down like he was shot - if anything, this is what is VAR is needed for. You can't give a penalty for a sequence like that IMHO

Semedo very visibly stood on his foot. If the ref had waved it away then VAR would have given it.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
A foul isn't only called when a player is brought to the ground. If you attempt a challenge, but come to late and kick your opponents legs/feet/shin etc its a pen 100% of the time anywhere on the pitch. That's the rules and yes, having played football 10 years and being on the receiving end of that quit often: Being stepped on the foot with studs will hurt a fucking lot. Not necessarily make you fall, but definitely make you stop playing due to the initial pain.

The point is there is contact on every ball into the box, every freekick or corner into the box - does the contact impede the player or prevent them from continuing their play. Sancho was not impeded, he simply leapt once he felt the contact - that is a dive, contact did not cause the fall

Then you take the player into context, he already dove twice earlier looking for a call and has done it previously at Dortmund. Messi stays on his feet and rarely gets a call anywhere close to how insignificant the toe step that Semedo was penalized for

Yannik

The point is there is contact on every ball into the box, every freekick or corner into the box - does the contact impede the player or prevent them from continuing their play. Sancho was not impeded, he simply leapt once he felt the contact - that is a dive, contact did not cause the fall

Then you take the player into context, he already dove twice earlier looking for a call and has done it previously at Dortmund. Messi stays on his feet and rarely gets a call anywhere close to how insignificant the toe step that Semedo was penalized for

The contact "that happens all the time in the box during corners" you are referring to is just normal shoving, which is not in question here.
https://streamable.com/j1yoh Look at it real close. Semedo is not not stepping on his TOE, he stepped on the entire front half of the foot. How can you not see that? Have someone stepping studs up on your whole foot in mid-movement and tell me that isn't impeding you, man. The impact pain from that alone will impede you enough to stop your movement.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Not saying Yannik is misguided on his opinion this time, but you can absolutely bet your house (and every cent you own), that he will argue/take the position that doesn't favor Barca.

:lol::lol:

Yannik

Not saying Yannik is misguided on his opinion this time, but you can absolutely bet your house (and every cent you own), that he will argue/take the position that doesn't favor Barca.

:lol::lol:

oh okay, is that common believe on here? Did I recently do something to acquire a Barca hater status on the forum? :thinking::(

Last edited:

Yannik

Just tongue in cheek. Nothing too serious!

Tbf I like to argue a lot. Pretty sure the majority of my interactions with other users are when I disagree with them. Obv on a Barca-biased forum that will more often than not throw me into the anti barca position of the argument.
If my name pops up in your notification center, odds are 2/3 I'm looking to fight you. :evil:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
The contact "that happens all the time in the box during corners" you are referring to is just normal shoving, which is not in question here.
https://streamable.com/j1yoh Look at it real close. Semedo is not not stepping on his TOE, he stepped on the entire front half of the foot. How can you not see that? Have someone stepping studs up on your whole foot in mid-movement and tell me that isn't impeding you, man. The impact pain from that alone will impede you enough to stop your movement.

Watched it and particularly in freeze frame, you can clearly see the player dove/leapt to get the penalty

Andresito

Staff member
Can't deny it was a penalty. But Sancho helped the ref by throwing himself.

It was noticable during the whole game: Sancho seems to like diving and exaggerating, very South American in that sense.

Yannik

Can't deny it was a penalty. But Sancho helped the ref by throwing himself.

It was noticable during the whole game: Sancho seems to like diving and exaggerating, very South American in that sense.

I mean he's like every fast winger worldwide in this regard really.. It's part of the game, technical player will always dribble in the box just to draw the foul. It's up to the defenders to rethink challenges on quick footed players inside the box. The best defenders seem to have a much more cautious attempt. Players like Lahm or Maldini were not even trying to engange in tackles here, they were just blocking the passing ways and only intercept when they were really sure about success. Semedo on the other hand..

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans