Germany

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I guess some ppl heard about it already, but Löw called up his preliminary squad of 27 (with regard to the Bayern players missing due to CL final):

GK: Neuer, Wiese, Zieler, ter Stegen
DEF: Badstuber, Hummels, Boateng, Höwedes, Mertesacker, Lahm, Schmelzer
MF: Özil, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Müller, Götze, Gündogan, Sven Bender, Lars Bender, Schürrle, Podolski, Draxler, Reus
ST: Klose, Gomez, Cacau

Nominating 4 GKs look strange, but could be a hint that Wiese will be cut in order to give the young guns (esp ter Stegen) some tournament experience.

Nominating only 7 defenders is also interesting, but its doable with those flexible players - Boateng and Höwedes are both CDs that can play RB too. Similar is true for Badstuber (LB). And Lahm can act on both FB positions. It could be a hint that Lahm is planned as LB, with Schmelzer as his backup. I hope its not, b/c i prefer Lahm on the right and a true FB on the left instead of a CD put on the right. Although Lahm could also start as RB and act as LB backup and switch sides if Schmelzer would be unavailable. But we will see...

The MF is still heavily packed, and 3 ppl will be dropped. Gündogan and Draxler will most likely be two of those three. Gündogan is needed as sole playmaker in Schweinsteigers and Kroos' absence due to Bayerns CL final. Draxlers nomination was a huge surprise already. He will train with the boys while some Bayern players are off and get some nice EC training base experience, but thats it most likely. The 3rd one will be thougher. My guess its between the Benders - and then its more likely Sven who has to go home. He is still struggling with injury and Lars the slightly better or lets say a bit more complete player. It will also leave Löw with basically two on each MF pos - Khedira backed by a Bender, Schweinsteiger by Kroos, complemented by 3 outside strikers (Müller, Poldi, Schürrle) and 3 technical/creative offensive players that are (also) good in the center (Özil, Götze, Reus) for the 3 offensive line positions.

Bringing Klose and Gomez was a no brainer ofc, even though Klose just had his comeback this weekend for Lazio, while 3 others competed for the 3rd pos: Cacau, Helmes and Kiessling. Kiessling was easiest to sort out as he wouldnt add sth new to the squad (he is very similar to Klose/Gomez in style). I would have chosen Helmes tbh, b/c he is the most different of the 3. Being a true poacher in very good form, he would have been a very nice option to sub in when we are in need of a goal. Cacau was however the easiest choice as he spent the most time with the NT and is thus most familiar with the team and its tactics.

The current starting 11 looks like this:

Note: Players in bold are almost 100% set. When i put two players in a position, the 1st one is the probable player, the one in brackets the alternative. When i put multiple players in there separated with slashs, its actually less a question of general preference but depending on the opponent and the tactical concept - i.e. Podolski or Schürrle as direct and Götze as more controllish player.

__________________________Klose(Gomez)________________________
Götze/Podolski(Schürrle)________Özil_____________________Müller(Reus)
______________Schweinsteiger_______Khedira____________________
Lahm(Schmelzer)__Badstuber__Hummels(Metzelder)__Boateng(Höwedes, Lahm)
___________________________Neuer______________________________

So much for that. My preffered starting-11 isnt far off btw:

_______________Klose___________
__Götze_________Özil_____Müller__
_______Schweinst____Khedira_____
Schmelzer_Badstuber_Hummels_Lahm
_______________Neuer___________

B

barcelonista

I really really really doubt Götze will start ahead of Podolski. 19 year old inexperienced kid coming back from a long term injury against a tried and tested "43 goals in 95 games" veteran who also played a good season individually. The experiments with Özil and Götze in the same lineup haven't really worked out so far either to risk it.

zanela

Is Khedira really that better than Lars, el tren? The madridistas here don't rate him at all, neither do i. Or is the experience favoring him?

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I really really really doubt Götze will start ahead of Podolski. 19 year old inexperienced kid coming back from a long term injury against a tried and tested "43 goals in 95 games" veteran who also played a good season individually. The experiments with Özil and Götze in the same lineup haven't really worked out so far either to risk it.
That experiment was with both players in the center and actually no outside strikers but only wing backs and 3 CDs. It just didnt work in general ;)

You are ofc right with Podolski. But thats what mainly speaks in his favor - he isnt in best form after colognes relegation. And while Götze indeed is 19 yrs old and coming from injury, he is an absolutely marvelous player. There is no one in the BL close to his potential. And actually i only see two players in the world with similar or more of that. And you wouldnt ever consider putting Messi or Iniesta on Barcas bench ... and if its just b/c it cant be right ;)

Is Khedira really that better than Lars, el tren? The madridistas here don't rate him at all, neither do i. Or is the experience favoring him?
Well yeah, its the experience. And he is an integral part of the team, being used to the tactics. Too risky to drop him off the team. Btw, i still rate Khedira, although i dont see him that often for RM.

Kroos>Khedira
Löw wont likely drop a holding DM and start with two playmakers. That might be a tactical option for midgame, but hardly more.

BerkeleyBernie

I guess some ppl heard about it already, but Löw called up his preliminary squad of 27 (with regard to the Bayern players missing due to CL final):

MF: Özil, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Müller, Götze, Gündogan, Sven Bender, Lars Bender, Schürrle, Podolski, Draxler, Reus

Nice to see Gündogan get the nod. Great young talent.

DucdeOrléans

Nominating 4 GKs look strange, but could be a hint that Wiese will be cut in order to give the young guns (esp ter Stegen) some tournament experience.

Nominating only 7 defenders is also interesting, but its doable with those flexible players - Boateng and Höwedes are both CDs that can play RB too. Similar is true for Badstuber (LB). And Lahm can act on both FB positions. It could be a hint that Lahm is planned as LB, with Schmelzer as his backup. I hope its not, b/c i prefer Lahm on the right and a true FB on the left instead of a CD put on the right. Although Lahm could also start as RB and act as LB backup and switch sides if Schmelzer would be unavailable. But we will see...

The MF is still heavily packed, and 3 ppl will be dropped. Gündogan and Draxler will most likely be two of those three. Gündogan is needed as sole playmaker in Schweinsteigers and Kroos' absence due to Bayerns CL final. Draxlers nomination was a huge surprise already. He will train with the boys while some Bayern players are off and get some nice EC training base experience, but thats it most likely. The 3rd one will be thougher. My guess its between the Benders - and then its more likely Sven who has to go home. He is still struggling with injury and Lars the slightly better or lets say a bit more complete player. It will also leave Löw with basically two on each MF pos - Khedira backed by a Bender, Schweinsteiger by Kroos, complemented by 3 outside strikers (Müller, Poldi, Schürrle) and 3 technical/creative offensive players that are (also) good in the center (Özil, Götze, Reus) for the 3 offensive line positions.

Bringing Klose and Gomez was a no brainer ofc, even though Klose just had his comeback this weekend for Lazio, while 3 others competed for the 3rd pos: Cacau, Helmes and Kiessling. Kiessling was easiest to sort out as he wouldnt add sth new to the squad (he is very similar to Klose/Gomez in style). I would have chosen Helmes tbh, b/c he is the most different of the 3. Being a true poacher in very good form, he would have been a very nice option to sub in when we are in need of a goal. Cacau was however the easiest choice as he spent the most time with the NT and is thus most familiar with the team and its tactics.

The current starting 11 looks like this:

Note: Players in bold are almost 100% set. When i put two players in a position, the 1st one is the probable player, the one in brackets the alternative. When i put multiple players in there separated with slashs, its actually less a question of general preference but depending on the opponent and the tactical concept - i.e. Podolski or Schürrle as direct and Götze as more controllish player.

__________________________Klose(Gomez)________________________
Götze/Podolski(Schürrle)________Özil_____________________Müller(Reus)
______________Schweinsteiger_______Khedira____________________
Lahm(Schmelzer)__Badstuber__Hummels(Metzelder)__Boateng(Höwedes, Lahm)
___________________________Neuer______________________________

So much for that. My preffered starting-11 isnt far off btw:

_______________Klose___________
__Götze_________Özil_____Müller__
_______Schweinst____Khedira_____
Schmelzer_Badstuber_Hummels_Lahm

Very strong squad indeed El Tren. If France and Italy will choke again I will support Germany or Spain (depends on how they will play).

I agree with your lineup overall but I would prefer Gómez instead of Klose. Sure, the Gómez we know at Bayern is not the same player for the national team but he has had yet another brilliant season while Klose has been injured a lot and inconsistent at Lazio and he is not getting younger. I don't think he is a key player anymore, as experienced as he is.

Boateng should also start instead of Schmelzer IMO although that would mean Lahm would be playing as a left back instead of his preferred role as a right back.

My preferred lineup:

_____________Gómez___________
__Poldi_________Özil_____Müller__
_______Schweini____Khedira_____
Lahm_Badstuber_Hummels_Boateng

But there are so many options that it's not even funny. I am sure Löw will have a hard job finding out who should play and who should not.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Id rather see Klose upfront, even though he just comes back from injury. But he always fit better into the team, mostly b/c he is more mobile and thus offers Özil better passing opportunities as well as more space for Müller to run into. But i wouldnt want to force him in if his form isnt good enough. Gomez showed good progress at playing that role with Bayern. So its actually not a big deal. But i would suppose Löw thinks similarly like i do.

But ye, that squad has a lot of options. And fortunately its choosing between good players and not about to bring in the lesser 'evil' ;)

Manuel Traquete

I think Lowe should try to make his lineup as close to Bayern Munich as possible, since most of his star players are from Bayern anyway.

Spain is the living proof that using lineups tried and tested at club level is the best solution when possible. Even if in terms of individual players the Bayern guys might not the best/most talented at all positions, the chemistry would surely be better. Top clubs teams are just better than national teams because players train together every day.

Something like:

Neuer

Lahm-Badstuber-Hummels-Boateng

Schweinsteiger-Kroos

Muller-Ozil-Podolski/Goetze/Reus/Goetze...

Gomez

8 Bayern players. It's a formula tried and tested (with great results) at club level

DennyCrane

I think Lowe should try to make his lineup as close to Bayern Munich as possible, since most of his star players are from Bayern anyway.

Spain is the living proof that using lineups tried and tested at club level is the best solution when possible. Even if in terms of individual players the Bayern guys might not the best/most talented at all positions, the chemistry would surely be better. Top clubs teams are just better than national teams because players train together every day.

Something like:

Neuer

Lahm-Badstuber-Hummels-Boateng

Schweinsteiger-Kroos

Muller-Ozil-Podolski/Goetze/Reus/Goetze...

Gomez

8 Bayern players. It's a formula tried and tested (with great results) at club level

You can't compare Spain with Germany. Most of Spains players achieved everything there is to achieve on international level in the last few years, the germans achieved no titles on club basis since 2001 - no titles on NT-basis since 1996 - so it's far from great results. This german player generation is widely regarded as a golden generation though; if that's really the case remains to be seen.
Using formulas tried and tested / use existing team-chemistry is a great idea in general - but you have to realize that the Bayern style differs greatly from the german national team. While Bayern play a hybrid of Van-Gaal posession football + counter-attacks (over the wings only), the national team under Löw plays much more direct one-touch football + extremely quick counter-attacks with only two or three direct passes. Spain + Barca play the same posession style and this is why this formula works.

Löw is known to always rely on the same players in tournaments, so this is most likely the formation he'll use:

Neuer
Lahm-Badstuber-Mertesacker-Boateng
Schweinsteiger - Khedira
Müller - Özil - Podolski
Klose

Schweinsteiger slows the midfield down with his excessive sideways passing, Podolski couldn't get anything straight this entire season, Müller is too slow to be a real winger, Mertesacker is a liability and Boateng always on the edge of getting carded.

My formation looks like this:

Neuer
Lahm-Badstuber-Hummels-Schmelzer
Kroos - Khedira
Reus - Götze -Özil
Klose

This formation has lots of creative players, fast wingers and Klose who always strangely excels at tournaments. The defense can work together on both the left and right flank each. But Löw will never ever have the guts to field it like this. But well, one can dream...

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans