Germany

B

barcelonista

Hate to say it but Spain is still the team to beat for me...

Not really. On paper for sure. But the reality is: Germany beats the Netherlands 3-0 with Schweinsteiger and Lahm missing while Spain struggles to win against, well, basically any team. And I'm not talking about the recent friendlies. This has been going on ever since the World Cup (offside goal in the round of 16, a Paraguay penalty miss away from desaster in the quarter finals, a corner kick goal in the semi finals, 116 minutes and a sending off later ... finally another tight 1-0 victory in the finals). This team is going nowhere anymore with del Bosque, they stretched their luck long enough.

Manuel Traquete

Not really. On paper for sure. But the reality is: Germany beats the Netherlands 3-0 with Schweinsteiger and Lahm missing while Spain struggles to win against, well, basically any team. And I'm not talking about the recent friendlies. This has been going on ever since the World Cup (offside goal in the round of 16, a Paraguay penalty miss away from desaster in the quarter finals, a corner kick goal in the semi finals, 116 minutes and a sending off later ... finally another tight 1-0 victory in the finals). This team is going nowhere anymore with del Bosque, they stretched their luck long enough.

So friendlies are a better indicator of Spain's strength than a World Cup title and a clean sweep of victories in the Euro qualifiers.

Del Bosque's tactics might not the best, but a team with the two best players in Europe in Xavi and Iniesta and the best forward in the world at the international level in David Villa is always a favorite. After all, they've won all their official matches after the World Cup despite the poor friendly results.

DucdeOrléans

So friendlies are a better indicator of Spain's strength than a World Cup title and a clean sweep of victories in the Euro qualifiers.

Del Bosque's tactics might not the best, but a team with the two best players in Europe in Xavi and Iniesta and the best forward in the world at the international level in David Villa is always a favorite. After all, they've won all their official matches after the World Cup despite the poor friendly results.

Germany won all their qualifying games as well. Let's not forget that Spain just won 1-0 against Germany 1 year ago. Since that defeat Germany has progressed a lot more as a team. It is dangerous just to assume that Spain are better right now because of past successes or that they will continue to be that next year. The holders are always the favourites but should the two teams meet today I think Germany would win it.

B

barcelonista

Spain still remains the team to beat of course. But I wouldn't bet on a Spain victory anymore for the Euro Cup as I did last year for the World Cup. Of course Xavi and Iniesta will up their games to a whole new level when it matters but Germany looks like they REALLY want it this time. Don't think Spain has that hunger anymore. Spain is only a David Villa goal drought away from going nowhere with all the midfield dominance. Can't see La Roja winning 3 consecutive international Cups ...

B

barcelonista

Del Bosque is not even trying Llorente, Negredo or Soldado as alternatives upfront. He keeps on bringing Torres in although Torres shouldn't be anywhere near the national team for over a year now.

Manuel Traquete

Germany won all their qualifying games as well. Let's not forget that Spain just won 1-0 against Germany 1 year ago. Since that defeat Germany has progressed a lot more as a team. It is dangerous just to assume that Spain are better right now because of past successes or that they will continue to be that next year. The holders are always the favourites but should the two teams meet today I think Germany would win it.

I was in no way claiming that Spain are going to win the Euro or that they will beat Germany. I was just questioning the logic according to which friendly results prove that Spain have been surpassed.

Spain still remains the team to beat of course. But I wouldn't bet on a Spain victory anymore for the Euro Cup as I did last year for the World Cup. Of course Xavi and Iniesta will up their games to a whole new level when it matters but Germany looks like they REALLY want it this time. Don't think Spain has that hunger anymore. Spain is only a David Villa goal drought away from going nowhere with all the midfield dominance. Can't see La Roja winning 3 consecutive international Cups ...

Fair enough. But it'd be foolish to discount Spain. I wouldn't put my money on them at this point either, but a team with Xavi and Iniesta must always be considered a favorite.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Its currently looking so good that its actually worrying me. B/c everytime the team seemed to be well prepared for a tournament, the tourney itself was a disaster. So i hope for France in our last friendly before the EC ... and that history repeats itself again like when we lost to France in the last test match before WC 1990 ;)

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
It was clear as day at the WC, the future battle will be between the two footballing giants, Spain & Germany...And fans are simply fortunate to see two class sides battle it out Internationally, I see a nice healthy rivalry brewing

Watched good chunks of the friendly last night...Scoreline could've been a lot worse but the Dutch also had chances to score themselves

Amazing how much of a difference maker Klose is for the NT...Müller is a joy to watch...The trio of Müller, Özil & Klose have great chemistry...Has Kroos always played so deep, el tren?...I thought he started out as a striker?...Badstuber & Mertesacker still are question marks, for me

Last edited:

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Kroos never played as striker. He mostly played AM in his career, but also occasionally replaced Schweinsteiger as deep playmaker in the NT and in Munich.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
QNZ2h.jpg

Home of Barca Fans