FC Barcelona B

JamDav1982

We have plenty of 30m+ signings who aren't good enough coming in and don't impress with their previous clubs to warrant signing who get all the chances in the world even despite that.

There's not much of an argument to be made for whether he was worthy of a chance last season. Going forward Roberto was so poor Messi abandoned the right wing entirely, and in instances where Mascherano was forced to play there I'm pretty sure he had a shocker every time.

Whether he's good enough going forward really boils down to speed and not much else. Alba and Bellerin aren't "good" going forward, they're just fast. Hopefully Valverde sees more qualities in a player than their top sprint speed. I'd rather have a solid defender who can chip in on offensive side than another pace merchant who's brain often turns to mush in the few cases when they're not horribly out of position.

Other players that are not good enough dont prove anything but they have shown more than Palencia has to get chances in first place.

The fact Roberto was not great going forward but is still much better on the ball and going forward than Palencia says it all as to why he probably was not given chances.

Barca full backs will never just be solid defenders. Have to be basically a midfielder/winger or at cover at CB a bit as someone like Abidal did. Palencia for me doesnt have any of that. He is too small to get away with just being there to be a solid defender.

Likes of Alba and Bellerin would destroy that diluted third level as full backs. Both have played well as attacking full backs in two of the best leagues in the world. As frustrating as both can be they are in a different league to Palencia going forward for me.

RIZALDINHO

Just wait until our board uses this as an excuse to not sign a proper RB :crbust:

if Palencia turns out to be a good rb and is ready for the ist team then we don't need to buy a rb this way save money by not wasting money on buying bellerin use the money we have to buy other players we need to buy.

JamDav1982

3rd choice? We don't even have a 1st choice mate, realism goes both ways.

A new RB with Palencia serving as a more defensive backup would be solid for that position.

He isnt a better RB than Vidal or Roberto. Whether that is their first position or not.

Vidal should be the back up RB/wide player long before it is Palencia. Unless I am totally wrong and he impresses Valverde on tour but he is going to get that chance.

God Serena

Other players that are not good enough dont prove anything but they have shown more than Palencia has to get chances in first place.

Who and when?

The fact Roberto was not great going forward but is still much better on the ball and going forward than Palencia says it all as to why he probably was not given chances.

He didn't even train with the first team a single time. Not one. Lucho called up Barca B bench warmers for training more often than they got to play with Barca B. You really expect me to believe that's because Roberto was better on the ball than Palencia?

Barca full backs will never just be solid defenders. Have to be basically a midfielder/winger or at cover at CB a bit as someone like Abidal did. Palencia for me doesnt have any of that. He is too small to get away with just being there to be a solid defender.

This is a tactical argument for a different thread probably, but not having a fullback who helps defensively is major flaw in our system. A flaw that got covered up big time by having Alves.

Likes of Alba and Bellerin would destroy that diluted third level as full backs. Both have played well as attacking full backs in two of the best leagues in the world. As frustrating as both can be they are in a different league to Palencia going forward for me.

Wasn't saying Palencia is on their level going forward, just that their contribution going forward in our games doesn't help much. I can't remember the last time someone praised either of those two for their wonderful offensive contributions. Even now when Alba has a good game, it's mainly because of his defending. Going forward neither one of them offers much of anything outside of their speed.

JamDav1982

Every player signed in their careers before joining showed more. Other players that fail dont have any bearing on Palencia being good enough anyway.

I dont care if you dont think Roberto is better on the ball or not. I am saying from watching them it is not even close in my opinion.

If Barca want a fullback who can help defensively then for me Palencia is too small physically to get most out of that role.

If you are right and he should be second choice RB he will get it this summer by proving it to Valverde.

God Serena

Every player signed in their careers before joining showed more. Other players that fail dont have any bearing on Palencia being good enough anyway.

I dont care if you dont think Roberto is better on the ball or not. I am saying from watching them it is not even close in my opinion.

If Barca want a fullback who can help defensively then for me Palencia is too small physically to get most out of that role.

If you are right and he should be second choice RB he will get it this summer by proving it to Valverde.

You give so many reasons why Palencia is not good enough but as I said, Lucho didn't even call him up for training with the first team a single time, while calling up Barca B bench warmers. It was exactly like this with Tarin and Grimaldo before him. Do you really believe it's because these players just aren't good enough?

JamDav1982

You give so many reasons why Palencia is not good enough but as I said, Lucho didn't even call him up for training with the first team a single time, while calling up Barca B bench warmers. It was exactly like this with Tarin and Grimaldo before him. Do you really believe it's because these players just aren't good enough?

Has happened in the past that that call up B team players for training who are not always seen as the more important ones. My guess would be that they sometimes try to leave the B team to prepare for game at weekend with the starters more than always send the better players to first team training.

That changes if B team players are looking too good and starting to push for first team involvement but it isnt always the case that only the better ones are called up.

Tarin I have never been particularly impressed with to level others seemed to be and said before he didnt seem to take to Grimaldos attitude rightly or wrongly.

xXKonan

This summer will be interesting for the B team now that they have been promoted.

-Ins and Outs

-Who gets promoted

-How will the possible incorporation of Barca C will effect players coming from Juvenil A to Barca B?

- a lot of expiring contracts at the end of this month and who gets a renewal?

Neeraj

Awesome. However, we did not have a free flow of the youngsters into the main team when there was the added pressure of staying in the Second Division!

But I think this is quite an important event in the scheme of things. I believe the drop in quality from the second to the third division is very steep; we need our B team to be playing against good opposition for us to be able to discern anything from their performances. This might fly under the radar, but I think it might have a very tangible impact on the stepping up of youngsters over the next couple of years (provided we manage to stay in this division).

Messi983

Well done boys, congrats.

Will be interesting to see what will happen in next few weeks. I believe Gerard will get a new contract. Not his greatest fan but he's done what was expected of him results wise so I don't think we'll get rid of him now. Players also seems to like him so they could react negatively if he goes.

Looking at TM, following Barça B players contracts expires this week: J.A. Suarez, Xemi, Bassey, Perea, Romera, Alfaro, Gumbau, Vilanova, Nili. From those I think only Suarez should get a new contract and Gumbau will probably also renew. I'd prefer younger/more talented players to be starters but he's still a solid player who brings some experience to the team so I wouldn't mind keeping him. Don't know if TM informations about Juvenil A players contracts are true but they are saying that contracts of Carles Perez, Guillemenot and Dani Morer also ends on June 30. I would try to keep all of them.

It's way to early to prognose but I think a team next season could be something like this:

GK: Suarez, Varo, Puig/Pena?
RB: Palencia, Morer?
CB: Borja, Martinez, Tarin, Bueno
LB: Cucurella, Moi
DM: Ferran, Fali?, O.Busquets?
CM: Alena, Gumbau?, Carbonell, Kaptoum?, Vitinho??
RW: Perez??, Brandon Thomas?
ST: Cardona, Guillemenot?, Abel Ruiz??
LW: Lee??, Abeledo??

Overall I don't think we should change too much so we can keep as much chemistry as possible. Changing half of the team and then need 4 or 5 months for them to gel together just won't work in Segunda.

I don't think there will be too much changes in defense and midfield. Marlon could still stay in B team and train/play regularly also for first team but based on the rumours we won't sign new CB for first team I think he'll be promoted for sure. Maybe we should bring a better CB than Martinez, also with unknown status of Tarin after injury. But other than that we are probably set at CB. I think Bueno will take one starting spot and hopefully Tarin will recover in time and can get enough playing time to see how he's after injury. Palencia should get first team minutes but for now I think he'll stay in B team, same for Cucu.

Alena will train/play with first team but I don't see him being promoted this summer. As said above I think Gumbau will be back but don't know what will happen with Kaptoum. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and get more minutes but I also won't be surprised if he leaves. Vitinho is apparently close and deal will probably be confirmed now that Barça B is officialy promoted.

There are a lot of question marks about forwards and I think Cardona is the only one for now with a guaranteed spot for next season. I really hope we'll keep Lee and give him a fair chance. One of obstacles is probably that we only have 2 non-EU spots and if Marlon will continue to play for B team and we'll bring Vitinho as rumoured then there won't be place for Lee. Or maybe we are planning to bring another Brazilian/South American talent alongside Vitinho. Brandon Thomas will probably also be confirmed now that we are promoted. From what I've read and seen he's pretty versatile and could play in all positions upfront. Abel Ruiz will reportedly stay in Juvenil A with possibly getting called up for some Barça B games as well. And if we buy that German kid from Leipzig we were rumoured a few weeks ago he'll probably also start at Juvenil A as he's only 17.

Last edited:

xXKonan

There's rumors we signed Mariano Konyk a 19 year old CB from Valencia Juv. A on a free transfer for the B team. and as for DM's we are also signing Josep Calavera as well. Gerard Romero says Perez and Busquets will be promoted to the B team.

I need to look at some other rumors as their have been a lot of them on certain players if we get promoted. I reckon at least Vitinho will eventually be confirmed.

Home of Barca Fans