Ernesto Valverde - V1

RMU ReBorn

Valverde defenders keep bringing up this Xavi nonsense. He’s gone and Iniesta will be soon as well. And we’re never going to play that brand of football again. We’ve made peace with it but it doesnt mean that we should play this tripe.

Also, Iniesta has been fantastic in the Champions League this year but it’s still a far cry from his Spain performances in the qualifiers.
Iniesta has been the same for spain and barca . It's just that spain has better midfield with Isco running the riot . We have been playing attacking brand of football under ev unless you are obsessed with 4-0,5-0 kinda wins at the cost of losing defensive shape and getting hit on counters with out a controller like xavi . Already told that i am not a Ev apologist . I will support anyone who makes my club relevant in europe . even if it's Jose Mourinho

So? Argentina nearly didn’t make it and neither did the Netherlands. What’s your point?
Point is Italy are a pathetic side these days and the performance against them shouldn't be taken in to consideration while comparing Iniesta of Barca and spain . Will talk to you about that after July

Point is Italy are a pathetic side these days and the performance against them shouldn't be taken in to consideration while comparing Iniesta of Barca and spain . Will talk to you about that after July

But if you play this Iniesta in 2011 Barca team or 2010 Spain, he would be the second best midfielder in the world next only to Xavi. Apart from Physicality nothing has changed from Iniesta. His horrendous passes which we often see nowadays are because of his physical tiredness.

JamDav1982

But if you play this Iniesta in 2011 Barca team or 2010 Spain, he would be the second best midfielder in the world next only to Xavi. Apart from Physicality nothing has changed from Iniesta. His horrendous passes which we often see nowadays are because of his physical tiredness.

No he wouldnt be. Iniesta is long past that.

He could still be a good player in a team willing to cover his legs a bit and give him that freedom which he would not have got then and wont get now with Messi and rightfully so.

Iniesta can still be class in some games and have moments but he is not even close to the player that could dominate a midfield with Xavi and that is due to age.

RMU ReBorn

Yes he hasn't regressed one bit in creativity . He owned Modric and kroos in classico .class act . It's just that he is too tired and aged to play full 90 minutes in a high intensity fixture .

Yes he hasn't regressed one bit in creativity . He owned Modric and kroos in classico .class act . It's just that he is too tired and aged to play full 90 minutes in a high intensity fixture .

Also, it is easier than ever because of his age and the presence of Paulinho instead of Xavi to dispossess him physically.

khaled_a_d

He at least has to rest more players before each game from CL semifinals. Has to.

Resting players in CDR final sound like a really reasonable idea :lol:

I missed the match and yet it doesn't sound like I missed anything. Barca scored 3 but many are calling it defensive. Valverde failed to rest some key players and Messi bailed us again.

Story of the season. :)

Messi bailed Suarez and Pique tbh, both missed many chances there.

serghei

OK, we can't rest players in the CDR Final (stupid scheduling before CL semifinal), but we should rest them in other games then.

M

MessiCam

Iniesta has been the same for spain and barca . It's just that spain has better midfield with Isco running the riot . We have been playing attacking brand of football under ev unless you are obsessed with 4-0,5-0 kinda wins at the cost of losing defensive shape and getting hit on counters with out a controller like xavi . Already told that i am not a Ev apologist . I will support anyone who makes my club relevant in europe . even if it's Jose Mourinho

You clearly don't watch Spain play... Isco doesn't play in midfield for Spain. It's a midfield 3 of Iniesta, Busquets and Thiago/Koke. Isco and Silva play as wings and at times as False 9's.

2 thirds of the Spain midfield are made up of Barcelona players and the other plays a pivot role for Croatia (I don't watch Croatia much so I don't know if Rakitic plays as a deep lying playmaker or not). The notion that this midfield cannot play attacking/attractive football is rubbish and you know it. It's just bandied about to make people feel good about Valverde.

This is just the type of football that Valverde is known for. There is no shame in it because it is bringing results but it's certainly not Barcelona like. When the inevitable happens and the results taper off... What then? What do we have?

RMU ReBorn

You clearly don't watch Spain play... Isco doesn't play in midfield for Spain. It's a midfield 3 of Iniesta, Busquets and Thiago/Koke. Isco and Silva play as wings and at times as False 9's.

2 thirds of the Spain midfield are made up of Barcelona players and the other plays a pivot role for Croatia (I don't watch Croatia much so I don't know if Rakitic plays as a deep lying playmaker or not). The notion that this midfield cannot play attacking/attractive football is rubbish and you know it. It's just bandied about to make people feel good about Valverde.

This is just the type of football that Valverde is known for. There is no shame in it because it is bringing results but it's certainly not Barcelona like. When the inevitable happens and the results taper off... What then? What do we have?
You don't need to play in midfield to dictate everything . Isco runs the show in spain . Now it's clear that you are the one who hasn't followed
spain enough to understand the basics

No need to do anything up . Ev has done everything right to feel good about him . Barcelona has played attacking football under him . That's how Barca used to play even before the messiah Pep arrived . And that's how it should be with the squad available . It will bring results ,just need to stay patient

serghei

I agree. Same issues as with Mourinho (in his better days). Results oriented style that becomes hard to accept once the results drop. But let's wait and see the magnitude of the results that Valverde can get with this style.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I agree. Same issues as with Mourinho (in his better days). Results oriented style that becomes hard to accept once the results drop.

All football is 'results orientated' and Barca have amongst the top possession and chances stats in europe.

Pep plays his style as thinks it is best way to win as do all of them.

Mourinho comparison is lazy and not based on any reality.

The style is nowhere near as bad is made out.

serghei

All football is 'results orientated' and Barca have amongst the top possession and chances stats in europe.

Mourinho comparison is lazy and not based on any reality.

The style is nowhere near as bad is made out.

OK. Noted. Had the same discussion a while back.

RMU ReBorn

Comparing Ev's style with Mourinho . This is the epitome of insult to Ev . Just because we aren't producing 5-0 wins often it doesn't mean we are playing defensively .

Home of Barca Fans