Ernesto Valverde - V1

BarçaBarça

Yup we should ignore glaring problems in the team as long as we are getting results. You know who else spouts such arguments? Mourinho fans.

What happens when results don't go our way then? Football ain't about one lucky season. We need to build for long term.
[...]
We can't play non boring football against Leganes at home with Messi, Suarez and Coutinho? :lol:

Problem with that reasoning: Every time Valverde win, it is assumed that we will always win that particular game, and therefore should play differently and win anyway. Guess what? It is hard to win a league and not easy to go undefeated all the way, even though we are about to do it.

Glaring problems: Yes, but you know what the alternative is? Glaring problems + no trophies. That is the most realistic alternative. Not revolutionary, innovative total-football + trophies. Look at our squad from the start of the season, now and all the problems we have faced and tell me with a straight face that we should play fluid and attacking football without getting worse results.

Nobody gives a shit about us conceding 15 goals or 30 goals, everyone just loves it when we score. But defence is a necessary condition for winning trophies, especially when 1/3 of your teams attack was ripped out abruptly from the beginning of the season with no replacement until recently.

I tend to think this way: If you are so much of a purist that you would trade trophies (say league + CL) for building a platform of fluid total-football which makes great promises of betterment in terms of results next season, then fair game. But I think it is very arrogant to implicitly propose that you are less a barcafan, if you don't take that bet. And that is what annoys me most: When people think their demands are reasonable even though what they are asking is the repeat of the best team in footballing history with the same results even though the squad, background-condition etc. is worth than back then.

RMU ReBorn

Problem with that reasoning: Every time Valverde win, it is assumed that we will always win that particular game, and therefore should play differently and win anyway. Guess what? It is hard to win a league and not easy to go undefeated all the way, even though we are about to do it.

Glaring problems: Yes, but you know what the alternative is? Glaring problems + no trophies. That is the most realistic alternative. Not revolutionary, innovative total-football + trophies. Look at our squad from the start of the season, now and all the problems we have faced and tell me with a straight face that we should play fluid and attacking football without getting worse results.

Nobody gives a shit about us conceding 15 goals or 30 goals, everyone just loves it when we score. But defence is a necessary condition for winning trophies, especially when 1/3 of your teams attack was ripped out abruptly from the beginning of the season with no replacement until recently.

I tend to think this way: If you are so much of a purist that you would trade trophies (say league + CL) for building a platform of fluid total-football which makes great promises of betterment in terms of results next season, then fair game. But I think it is very arrogant to implicitly propose that you are less a barcafan, if you don't take that bet. And that is what annoys me most: When people think their demands are reasonable even though what they are asking is the repeat of the best team in footballing history with the same results even though the squad, background-condition etc. is worth than back then.

Spot on . I have language issues to convey everything . You just echoed my mind . :cheers:

Cule4life

The Culest
Again with the hyperbole. Fans who don't like Valverde's football must be Pep-istas who want pure tiki taka and nothing else. How dare we want us to play more attacking vs teams like Leganes at home, never mind the Bayerns and Juve's in CL knockout rounds. How dare we want Valverde to make full use of his squad rather than turning to Iniesta after Leganes score a goal.

Ironically i want Valverde to have more than a Plan A which people also criticized Pep for. Funny ain't it?

Again with the hyperbole. Fans who don't like Valverde's football must be Pep-istas who want pure tiki taka and nothing else. How dare we want us to play more attacking vs teams like Leganes at home, never mind the Bayerns and Juve's in CL knockout rounds. How dare we want Valverde to make full use of his squad rather than turning to Iniesta after Leganes score a goal.

Ironically i want Valverde to have more than a Plan A which people also criticized Pep for. Funny ain't it?

Suarez squandered chance after chance after chance. Dembele was completely left alone most of the time in the right flank. Yet he was sloppy with his passes. How can someone think we didn't play attacking football?

Last edited:

RMU ReBorn

Yeah we must go all out against 14th ranked team with Roma away and Valencia , Celta , Madrid awaiting in next fixtures not to forget that CDR final is near . what a genius move that would be to produce high intensity football for ninty minutes rather than securing points

Ev has shown so many times that he is versatile than Pep . way we countered chelsea in camp nou was one such match were we hit them on counters rather than playing to their strengths . That's just one instance . We outclassed Sociedad in Anoeta despite going down twice only because Ev had a plan B . I don't wanna explain more to pepistas

Last edited:

Joan

Don't think that the last night's game was boring at all. The second half wasn't as intensive but that's normal.

We surely played attacking football.

Cule4life

The Culest
We winded down after scoring 2 instead of going for the 3rd and killing the game and let Leganes back into the game. Then we ironically spent more energy defending then we would have had we scored the third and killed the game.

Again our attacking is all about Messi and what mood he's in during the match. That's not a healthy way of playing. All i'm saying is Valverde needs to tweak the formula so we have more creativity in the squad apart from Messi and more rotations so the team isn't dead on its feet during the business end of the season. But no i'm just a hater who wants to go back to the Pep days.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I missed the match and yet it doesn't sound like I missed anything. Barca scored 3 but many are calling it defensive. Valverde failed to rest some key players and Messi bailed us again.

Story of the season. :)

RMU ReBorn

We winded down after scoring 2 instead of going for the 3rd and killing the game and let Leganes back into the game. Then we ironically spent more energy defending then we would have had we scored the third and killed the game.

Again our attacking is all about Messi and what mood he's in during the match. That's not a healthy way of playing. All i'm saying is Valverde needs to tweak the formula so we have more creativity in the squad apart from Messi and more rotations so the team isn't dead on its feet during the business end of the season. But no i'm just a hater who wants to go back to the Pep days.
we always has been reliant on Messi . It has been the case since the turn of 2008 . Nothing new . Valeverede has tweaked formation when it was needed . It was 4-3-3 during the begining of the season . when Dembele was injured he changed it to 442 and has shown flexibility with that formation . We did went for the third goal and squandered so many chances

I missed the match and yet it doesn't sound like I missed anything. Barca scored 3 but many are calling it defensive. Valverde failed to rest some key players and Messi bailed us again.

Story of the season. :)
We played attacking football . Just like Bilbao match intensity was less after 60th minute . Why should we play all out with tight fixtures on the Horizon

Last edited:

Cule4life

The Culest
wr always has been reliant on Messi . It has been the case since the turn of 2008 . Nothing new . Valeverede has tweaked formation when it was needed . It was 4-3-3 during the begining of tge season . when Dembele was injured he changed it to 442 and has shown flexibility with that formation . We did went for the third goal and squandered so many chances

That's not true. We had MVP, MSN, prime Xavi and Iniesta, Eto etc.

Valverde has been stubborn with his workhorses and safety first approach with his preferred starters and not utilizing the full squad. In the second half we took it easy (Valverde himself said this) and invited pressure because players are conditioned to defend leads under Valverde.

Seriously i don't want Valverde sacked. He has brought some good things to Barca. But his apologists are so devout they wouldn't accept a single criticism against him and consider him a faultless messiah. Heck i never thought Pep was perfect either. I've my doubts about Xavi as manager. But since we are unbeaten, anyone who criticizes him is labelled as a hater/spoilt fan/Pep-ista/tiki taka purist.

BarçaBarça

Valverde has been stubborn with his workhorses and safety first approach with his preferred starters and not utilizing the full squad. In the second half we took it easy (Valverde himself said this) and invited pressure because players are conditioned to defend leads under Valverde.

Seriously i don't want Valverde sacked. He has brought some good things to Barca. But his apologists are so devout they wouldn't accept a single criticism against him and consider him a faultless messiah. Heck i never thought Pep was perfect either. I've my doubts about Xavi as manager. But since we are unbeaten, anyone who criticizes him is labelled as a hater/spoilt fan/Pep-ista/tiki taka purist.

It is fair enough to point out failures that Valverde has, if you just realize that it is always easier to point out things in hindsight (like assume we would win anyway if others had played/we played differently). Valverde is no saint, but I think he gets criticized more than what is fair and praised extremely little compared to his objective achievements.

If the results were better we as fans would hunger for wins and results in every competition but now we criticize based on aesthetics, which can be alright - if you realize from which super privileged position you are making that demand/criticism.

For example yesterday: Iniesta rested, Alba rested, Umtiti rested, Busi out. Dembele on the pitch, Coutinho on the pitch, Roberto & Semedo on the pitch. How do you want Valverde to utilize the squad more? Play Paco instead of Suarez? That would be a fair point, but also a minor detail in the bigger picture. Playing Gomes was the right decision all in all since he was one of the better players and played probably the best game here.

It is fair to say that we should have gone for the 3rd goal to close the game, and I would agree with that - and we did produce chances to do it, imo.
Valverde is no Messiah, but what he has done so far is incredible.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Hope he learns a lesson or 2 from the way the baldie chose to rest the midfield today, even brought off his superstar to keep them fresh for the CL

Cule4life

The Culest
It is fair enough to point out failures that Valverde has, if you just realize that it is always easier to point out things in hindsight (like assume we would win anyway if others had played/we played differently).

Oh look finally a reasonable Valverde fan. How will we know if we won't win anyway if we don't play differently ever. How do you know Valverde's way is the only way to win even against leganes at home? The only time we played differently was Girona and we destroyed them.

How do you want Valverde to utilize the squad more?

Rest Pique, Messi and Rakitic more and use players like Paco, Mina more. Utilize the big lead in La liga to rest players for CL.

Whiny bitch

Love u 2 m8.

Hi-there-flying-kiss-GIF.gif

Last edited:

RMU ReBorn

First of all i am not a apologist of Ev . Anyone who does good things for my club , i will support them thick and thin against all the unnecessary criticism . Ev is stubborn in his safety first approach because we are not playing with Barcelona's greatest ever central midfielder nor do we have prime iniesta . So it makes sense to make us of work horses like Rakitic to steady the ship that was sinking under Lucho

Yes we had MVN , xavi , Prime eto etc but since the turn of 2008 Barca has always been reliant on him to pull us out from the woods . Not only Ev even Pep had to over rely on him .

Hope he learns a lesson or 2 from the way the baldie chose to rest the midfield today, even brought off his superstar to keep them fresh for the CL
For Baldie the league is over, got knocked out from CDR . we are staying relevant in all three competitions . He rested Alba , busi , Umtiti . Suarez took the suspension and rested against Bilbao . Messi had 15+ days of rest and was rested for Malaga match and was brought in after 60 th minute vs sevilla because we were drowning . what all changes are you advocating for .

Home of Barca Fans