Ernesto Valverde - V1

JamDav1982

The best defense is not the one that concedes the fewest goals, but the one that concedes the fewest goal scoring chances.

Not really.

If you give away 3/4 great chances that you are set up poorly to defend it is worse than 8/9 chance that you make it harder to score.

Quite a few teams like Atletico/Leicester in the past have done that and had very strong defences.

Burnley now are the best example while attacking teams like Liverpool or Peps Bayern have been killed as concede a few very good chances to teams with too much space at back.

Neymessi

Defense stats are mostly misleading at the start of the season.

We had a great defensive start in the tata martino season and our defence the season before was very shit and everybody thought our defensive problems were over.

Then in the start of the treble season we had conceeded 0 till el classico and everyone thought it was because of a great defense but we were just lucky to not let minnows score against us. El classico came and they smashed us 3.

As a unit our defence has a good way to go before I can take a sigh of relief but right now its just mostly due to MATs and umtiti individual brilliance.

xXKonan

Valverde going by his previous work was always a coach who focused a lot on control and defensive work as a unit. so this season so far it's showing some of his strengths as a manager, sure it can be boring but I do believe if we had a elite CM or two and Dembele back and probably a good young striker like Griez his system will show a lot more than what we have seen so far.

The backbone of Ter Stegen-Semedo/Roberto-Pique-Umtiti-Alba/Digne+Busi-Messi-Dembele etc is a good starting point.

We just need more power in the Midfield as Iniesta won't be here forever and a new Forward as Suarez is just not in great form right now.

serghei

Good video - However, chose to turn a blind eye on our lack of creativity in the midfield
Style discussion aside, it shows there's enough defensive discipline to make it work if we sign a creative midfielder and keep Messi farther up, with Dembele coming back.

If he wants to play 4-3-2-1 this could work, again, leaving aside the style discussion.

1643546_FC_Barcelona.jpg

Last edited:

blaugrana1987

I dont think many would done better with this shitty team, and he is not at fault for us getting robbed, but FUCK YOU for Suarez! Fuck you!

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Brilliant first half - the best till now this season.

Completely schooled in the second half. Should have brought off Rakitic the very first time he didn't provide support to Semedo and exposed him to a 1 vs 2! That eventually led them to score a goal. I don't blame Semedo for the goal, that is completely on Valverde

And finally - fucking sub off Suarez! Please for heaven's sake!!

xXKonan

Not sure what is happening in 2nd half, starting to thing age is playing a role in that? don't know but not first time.
I have no clue myself I hope Valverde didn't instruct them to lay back a bit.

the whole team lost it's composure in the second half. It's been a theme this season at times where we will look pretty solid in the first half but the second half it gets pretty bad.

kilian

Repeating Luchos mistakes. Rakitic doubling on the wings, not following his player and we concede. Open your eyes Valverde, you fucking idiot.

Home of Barca Fans