Does the English Premier League deserve more Champions League Spots ?

What Should Happen ?

• La Liga Should Lose a CL Place.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • English Premier League Should Gain a CL Place.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Nothing, Should Stay The Same.

Votes: 25 78.1%

• Total voters

Yugi

maximum_trolling-s720x480-142118.jpg

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Well, not so much ed. How many of the Europa League/UEFA Cups in the last few years have been won by English teams? How many by Spanish teams?

Pretty sure you'll find the Spanish winning that one easily.

Easily? say 2007 is the cut off point for "last few years" then the spanish have won it only once against an english team.

So imo it is a huge myth that the spanish greatly outperform, in terms of winning the actual thing, their english counter parts as I provided the evidence.

So I do think it is a close run thing and no country is further ahead of anyone else at this point in time.

I think 4 spots each is perfect as it is.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Easily? say 2007 is the cut off point for "last few years" then the spanish have won it only once against an english team.

So imo it is a huge myth that the spanish greatly outperform, in terms of winning the actual thing, their english counter parts as I provided the evidence.

So I do think it is a close run thing and no country is further ahead of anyone else at this point in time.

I think 4 spots each is perfect as it is.

The spanish teams have won it over 9000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times more often during the last 4 years. Fact.

Statistics never lie :D

W

woobie

Let's take this century (ie, since 2000) as 'the last few years'. I see 1 english squad having won and 3 spanish clubs having won (one of these did so in back to back years).

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Btw, I think I remember Espanyol beating Liverpool 3-0 in pre-season a couple of years ago (RE Valencia - Pool)

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Let's take this century (ie, since 2000) as 'the last few years'. I see 1 english squad having won and 3 spanish clubs having won (one of these did so in back to back years).

That is a decade not a few years. As I said since 2000 6 spanish clubs have been in finals and 4 english clubs have been in finals, thus the gap is not that big a certainly not as big as the myth makes out.

Taking it from the last few years that gap is even smaller.

So sorry I don't buy this spanish domination in europa story. True they have more winners during the two periods mentioned, however the argument is also that the english clubs aren't as successful in europa, and I've stated my case that this myth is exactly that a myth.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Btw, I think I remember Espanyol beating Liverpool 3-0 in pre-season a couple of years ago (RE Valencia - Pool)

We had to let them win in their first game in their brand new stadium ;) I mean what do you take us for :D

Last edited:

Manuel Traquete

That is a decade not a few years. As I said since 2000 6 spanish clubs have been in finals and 4 english clubs have been in finals, thus the gap is not that big a certainly not as big as the myth makes out.

Taking it from the last few years that gap is even smaller.

So sorry I don't buy this spanish domination in europa story. True they have more winners during the two periods mentioned, however the argument is also that the english clubs aren't as successful in europa, and I've stated my case that this myth is exactly that a myth.

More winners, more ranking points accumulated in the competition, more wins in Spanish teams vs English teams ties... Whether you buy into it or not, it's still there.

You could make an argument for English performing better overall than Spanish teams in the CL though. They do have a lot more ranking points and their consistency might trump Spain's (read: Barca's) numbers of recent wins.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
True fact: The European Cup was at its peak when the English were banned from it.

And yet Barca could never win it during that period. True story ;)

Thus if that was the peak then what do you call the current climate of barca domination? The valley? the weakest era?! whadda you think?

Last edited:

Manuel Traquete

And yet Barca could never win it during that period. True story ;)

Thus if that was the peak then what do you call the current climate of barca domination? The valley? the weakest era?! whadda you think?

This is England's best ever period, and still English teams are getting owned by Barca. This era (2008-2011) would be remembered as an era of total English domination if Barca weren't around.

However, that ship has sailed and English sides are notoriously decreasing in quality and it's only a matter of time before Spain overtakes England in the UEFA rankings, as has been the case for the majority of the past 15/20 years.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
This is England's best ever period, and still English teams are getting owned by Barca. This era (2008-2011) would be remembered as an era of total English domination if Barca weren't around.

However, that ship has sailed and English sides are notoriously decreasing in quality and it's only a matter of time before Spain overtakes England in the UEFA rankings, as has been the case for the majority of the past 15/20 years.

You obviously don't realise sarcasm when it hits you right on the face then........

Home of Barca Fans