Does the English Premier League deserve more Champions League Spots ?

What Should Happen ?

• La Liga Should Lose a CL Place.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • English Premier League Should Gain a CL Place.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Nothing, Should Stay The Same.

Votes: 25 78.1%

• Total voters

kkkkasd

Something that has been bothering me is the fact that both Spain and England both get 4 spots for the Champions League. I just don't think the coefficient system in this case works very well. Real Madrid and Barcelona are always many levels above La Liga's 3rd and 4th placed teams, but they are always the ones performing well in the CL so they give La Liga an unnatural ratings boost.

I just think the EPL's 5th and 6th placed teams can easily perform just as well but probably better than whoever gets 3rd and 4th for La Liga and yet they have to go to the Europa League.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
raw

Manuel Traquete

The answer is no, but I suspect you know that yourself.

You could have a point if the different in coefficients was huge, which it isn't. Just a few years ago, England were third behind Spain and Italy and I didn't hear anyone suggesting Spain and Italy should have more teams in the CL.

Just be glad that English teams are doing well right now and don't make such arrogant threads. Spain dominated the European team for most of the 00s, and with a much bigger difference than England do now (the difference is minimal in terms of coefficient) and you didn't hear anyone suggesting Spain should take more teams.

Also, your post is very inaccurate.

I just think the EPL's 5th and 6th placed teams can easily perform just as well but probably better than whoever gets 3rd and 4th for La Liga and yet they have to go to the Europa League.

This is complete rubbish, it's basically your way of saying that you love the Premier League, therefore more PL teams should be in the CL. If these 5th and 6th place teams in the PL are so strong, why haven't they ever won the Europa League? Last season, City and Liverpool didn't even come close. If these sides were dominating the Europa League, you could have an argument that they deserved to be in a better competition, but as it stands you have no argument.

they are always the ones performing well in the CL so they give La Liga an unnatural ratings boost.

I could have killed your entire argument if I had started here, but I felt like rambling a bit. This point is absolutely ridiculous. In the past five years (the ones that count for the current rankings), Barcelona and Real Madrid together have got less points than Manchester United and Chelsea (250.014 vs 239.515). The points of non-big 2 sides are pretty much the same for both countries, it's difference between Chelsea and Madrid's points (Madrid had never gone past the first knockout round before last season) that makes most of the difference in the ranking.

If anyone has been given an unnatural boost, it's England with United and Chelsea's points.

Your thread has no leg to stand on.

Last edited:

Bilal Khan

Tito > Mou
Check out the options
La liga should lose a place or PL should gain a place.. Where are the vice versas?

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
holy fuck! when i saw 'lose a place' I assumed it was 'EPL should lose a place' and voted for it. FUCK ME!!

Phatroonaldo

Something that has been bothering me is the fact that both Spain and England both get 4 spots for the Champions League. I just don't think the coefficient system in this case works very well. Real Madrid and Barcelona are always many levels above La Liga's 3rd and 4th placed teams, but they are always the ones performing well in the CL so they give La Liga an unnatural ratings boost.

Umm you do realize that Barcelona and Madrid performances have not much to do with the UEFA coefficients,right? It depends on the performance of all the teams in the CL and EL.
Last year was the first time madrid reached the semis after a long time.

UEFA coefficient is determined by the results of the clubs of the leagues in CL and EL games over the past five seasons. In La liga's case, they have been doing very well in Europa League AND CL.

From wikipedia :

Two points are awarded for each win by a club, and one for a draw. Goals scored in extra time do count in determining the outcome of a game, but any Penalty shootout result does not affect the allocation of points other than the bonus points. The number of points awarded each season is divided by the number of teams that participated for that nation in that season. This number is then rounded down to three decimal places (e.g. 2⅔ would be rounded to 2.666).

Qualifying for the Champions League group phase (4 bonus points).
Reaching the second round of the Champions League (5 bonus points).
Reaching the quarter, semi and final of either the Champions League or the Europa League (1 bonus point)."

Last edited:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I voted for stay as it is. 4 each, with 3 automatic for the top 2 coefficient leagues is perfect the way it is.

Though on a side note currently the 5th and 6th teams in the epl would beat the 3rd and 4th teams in la liga ;)

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I voted for stay as it is. 4 each, with 3 automatic for the top 2 coefficient leagues is perfect the way it is.

Though on a side note currently the 5th and 6th teams in the epl would beat the 3rd and 4th teams in la liga ;)

:Troll Alert: Ignore it every body

Home of Barca Fans