David Villa

xsever

barcastuff ‏@barcastuff
[Barcelona have offered Spanish forward David Villa (31) to renew his contract, that currently expires in the summer of 2014. [times mail]

Jelboo

I am so, so happy with Villa's consistent play time. Early in the season it seemed like the staff and management had forgotten about him, and now he is absolutely vital to our success. The Messi-Villa combination up front is lethal!

E

estranged

With 42%, David Villa is the player with the best shot conversion rate in the Liga this season of all those who scored 5+ goals [via opta]

Kerrybai

F

Flavia

Villa, “happy to help with goals and assists”

Jordi Clos

03/18/2013 12:19

“The group is really happy after these last two results, especially last Tuesday’s”

“Physically, I’m at my best – I’ve got over all those little problems that were bothering me and I’m happy to be feeling fine again”

David Villa was one of the stars of the game against Rayo, scoring the first goal and then setting up Leo Messi for the next two. Speaking on the Barça TV programme “El Marcador”, he explained: “I’m happy to help the team with goals and assists. I don’t normally set up that many goals and I really feel valuable having done so in these last couple of matches. I’m very pleased with how I did this week and now I just want to make sure I carry on like that and help the team to get to the end of the league and the Champions League final”.

Two wins have boosted morale

Villa revealed that the result against Milan had given the squad a great boost: “we knew we could do it, but we knew the first leg result was a bad one and we would need to be at our best. We showed on the pitch all the work we had been doing and between us we carried it off. The lads are happy with these two good results, especially Tuesday’s but also tonight’s after all the effort we had put in and against a team who were very demanding”.

Back to full fitness

After starting both the last two matches, Villa admitted he was feeling good: “physically, I’m at my best – I’ve got over all those little problems that were bothering me and I’m happy to be feeling fine again. I’ve been working hard for quite a while to overcome my difficulties and I’m pleased to get to this stage of the season scoring goals and getting plenty of game time”.

Villa is also ready to play where he’s needed – out on the left or through the centre: “I’ve shown for Barça and for Spain that I can play out wide and I’m happy to play in either position, but the nearer I am to the box, the easier it is for me, as I’ve always been a number 9”.

tello

I can see him being the difference between us winning the CL and crashing out like we did last time. He gives us another goal threat, which will probably be crucial.

Didn't Tito or someone say that Villa would be crucial to the second half of the season? How right he was.

Villa was always crucial to Barca's strike force so, literally, he is the only Barca goleador apart from Messi !
When having so much possesion and passing the ball near the 16 meter square of the opponent that much it is vital to have Villa playing there because we've seen over and over again that Messi alone isn't enough against very strong devensives and against 3 or 4 constant players put to press and hold him...

Scottro

It looks like this could have been in the coaches' plans since the beginning. Keep Villa fit, uninjured and healthy the whole first half, unleash him in the 2nd half. Slowly getting him more and more fit throughout the season while keeping him safe and also warming up the other forwards.

If that was the plan, it's turning out very nicely right now.

Either way, this is so beautiful to watch. :wub: He and Messi have upped our attack power IMMENSELY from where it was at the beginning of the season.

Messi + Villa hitting beastmode at the same time = unstoppable. :worthy:

That is what I hope was going on but it does not make sense to play him the unimportant games in the first 1/2 of the season if they felt that he was importatant and could contribute. It seems they felt he could not contribute in critical matches and he seemed to play only in matches that Barca would moost likely win even if there were only 10 men in the lineup. At any rate if he is not firmly in control of a starting position after the last weeks performances then Tito needs to go not Villa!

Home of Barca Fans