Dani Ceballos

mc_lovin

Well, it isn't a waste of time from business perspective when you have other players you're paying money to, which you need to make useful or sell.

Why he clashes with Fede even in the future is something you still haven't explained and clearly assuming we'll play midfield 3 90% of the time for next 5-10 years, but we can leave that since you seem exceptionally orthodox on the matter and been that way for long as I can remember.

Well, I am not saying Valverde can't be useful.

But right now you have 1 vacant spot in midfield given Modric has a year left at best. He's a CM, and Valverde and Camavinga are the two best young talents you have there. How do they not clash for a starting spot? But yeah, I assume you play with three midfielders mostly, and I don't think you want players like Valverde or Camavinga as wide midfielders (or as a #10) in a 4-men setup anyway. Usually you have smaller, more technical players there. So that doesn't add one more position in my mind for Valverde (or Camavinga) depending on who gets the starting role.

El Gato

Villarato!
Well, I am not saying Valverde can't be useful.

No but you are making assumptions that just seem either flat out odd or rather far in future
Assumption a) - he's a CM -> he competes with Fede this season, despite us having 2(+1 in Ceballos even) for RCM, 3 for LCM in Ancelotti mind and 1(+1 if you count Blanco at Castilla) for DM.
Assumption b) - he's a CM -> he competes with Fede for years to come because he's not an 'attacking profile' like Pogba because that apparently there must be one in a 4-3-3 (which I've heard before but dont even agree with TBH)
Assumption c) - we'll play with 3 in midfield for years forward, even though we currently have terribly imbalanced wings which won't become any better even when buying another LW/LF in Mbappe
Assumption d) - even if defaulting to 4-3-3, we won't choose to play diamond 50% of the time depending on squad shape where both players can work well because... why exactly?
Assumption e) - similarly won't opt for 3ATB which was becoming trendy for years now because... why exactly?

To the formation, because that to me is most interesting.
Almost every fullback we bought/raised in last 5 years is attack-minded.
Mendy and Alaba both seem to have a knack for LCB.
Even if not opting for back-3, Alaba may become LB of choice if becomes clear he's being wasted centrally and we pay for Kounde instead.
Hazard is a waste at LW and IMO his future is not outwide as he already lost pace, but his touch can still be very useful centrally ahead of midfield.
Vinicius can easily play LF and already swaps with Benzema a lot, Rodrygo even more so and even played CF for youth NT I think.
4-3-3 is a massive predictable bore where you have orthodox expectations of LCM-RCM pairs and wingers that coaches are trying to get out of lately because it's being figured out in direct meetings that lead to CL wins and RM could be part of that trend so dont see why it's so certain this is how it has to end for Fede-Edu

And even if you're right and Edu becomes a starter in several years over Fede - how's that an L you initially wanted to attribute to me in the event of it happening :lol:
Fede ain't going to get sold unless for some injury calamity where he's next to useless. Club has long had the policy of keeping players with his mentality and very rarely do you find a guy who's as good as he is and this committed.
I mean I accept I may have several L's to take on other guys (yet to be seen). Fede ain't going to be one of them :lol:

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Came to this thread to say he had a good game and interested to see that Ancelotti went out his way to praise him.
Might be that he is kept for another year until end of his contract to see if he's a useful and mobile utility. Certainly seems to have found a few moments where he was trusted more than ever was under Zidane in past.

But besides that, the September convo aged well lol
Was proven wrong that Fede will start. Conservatism prevailed.
Proven right that him starting is one of the pieces key to us playing well.

Interesting where things will go another 8 months from now.

Home of Barca Fans